9 replies to this topic

#1 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

I have a problem with my wiper motor, not sure if this is common or not.
As soon as I plug the harness end into the motor and turn ignition on (power to motor) without even turning the wiper on, it blows the fuse.

Any ideas before I take the motor to the sparky tomorrow?

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:51 PM

I had this problem with my HJ that I bought back in 1983. It happened during warranty, so their sparky fixed it. There was an internal problem with the wiper motor causing it to blow the fuse. Since I didn't fix it and it was 23 years ago, I can't recall all details.

#3 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:13 PM

I had trouble about a month ago, one strand of wire was touching earth. When i would flick ignition on and turn on the wipers, they would turn 1 or 2 times then blow, each time blowing quicker and quicker(wire was slowly burning away). Took a bit of looking to find but that was it.

Sorry if that dont help.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:38 PM

Just check your wiper switch as well. These are more notorious for causing problems than the motor. Only real problems I've seen with the motor is that damn copper earth strap, oh and the park switch in the motor.

#5 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:41 PM

Park switch (in motor assy) may have fallen apart shorting. If it doesnt blow the fuse with the motor disconnected, I would be looking there.
RACV MAN

#6 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:12 PM

Actually neither of those.
Pulled the cover off today and where the 3 brushes sit, the plate had broken in 3 places, so instead of the brushes sitting side on with the magnet, they where facing down and touching each other.

Need a new mounting plate or a wiper motor (runs to the shed to pull a wiper motor off the other car)

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:46 PM

I have a spare UC wiper motor if you live some where near Melbourne.

#8 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:52 PM

Coolies, glad you found it. Might check mine now, I don't have high speed, just constant low speed. Have put another motor on but same. Have a spare wiper switch (thanks again Makka), so will give that a go and see if it's there, if not, may be only one of my brushes (high speed) has broken, possibly touching the low speed contact, although would be shocked if two motors would have the same symptom.....just my dilema ATM.

Thankfully, god hasn't invented rain here yet, so not a huge priority.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome, most the time you just get stunned silence.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 06 February 2006 - 09:54 PM.

#9 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:35 AM

thanks for the offer chopper, I have a spare LX torana paddock basher on our farm, just a matter of pulling it off that car. I knew the heap of crap would come in handy one day.

#10 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:50 PM

Just check your wiper switch as well.  These are more notorious for causing problems than the motor.  Only real problems I've seen with the motor is that damn copper earth strap, oh and the park switch in the motor.

The park switch is usually on Lucas w/motors.
I've never had prob's with a Presslite, but had the park switch from a Lucas fall off.
It may be a bit anal, but i always remove all Lucas anything from my cars, wiper motor, dissy or alternator.
If it has Lucas on it, it's history, in with Bosch, Delco or Presslite.
Probably why Presslite w/motors go for heaps on Ebay and Lucas you can't give away! :rockon:

Edited by SPJ, 09 February 2006 - 03:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users