Need help with V8 conversion

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _LHwannabeV8_

_LHwannabeV8_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

Gday I have just bought a LH with a warm 202 for my future first car. At the moment it has a worked head, Holley 500, diff work, 4 speed, exhaust and extractors, racing seats, SLR-5000 flare kit�etc.
I was hoping to drop a 253 or 308 into it within the next year before I get my licence. I was wondering what is a cheap and hassle free option. I am an apprentice so I have the workshop and tools available to help I guess. Can I just drop in HQ running gear in or do I have to get Torana engine mounts to go in? If anyone could help I would be appreciative and grateful. Also if anyone in Victoria (Melbourne/ Hastings area) has any parts that they want to sell that might be helpful as well.

Cheers Anthony

#2 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:40 PM

Not sure about the engine mounts, you will need a Torana sump and oil pickup though. HQ extractors/exhaust are also no good for you, too much space on those big boats compared to the torries.

If you running the six, a Holley 500 is way too big (prolly is a 465). Holley 350 should be the goods on a 202.

#3 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:58 PM

i wasnt gonna say anything but im with yella, sorta looked sideways at the holley 500. Find a mate with a 350 and give that a go. Might change ya mind about the 308 :)

#4 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:29 AM

it was a few years ago when i done the conversion, anyone who has done the conversion latley got some help for this fellow torry owner? my memory is shot and i can type out what i remember but 5 minutes later ill remember something else and so on.

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:14 AM

I was wondering what is a cheap and hassle free option.

That sentence and cars do not go together, particularly if your considering modifications. Changing parts, easy, modding to something else, hassle and frustration comes into the equation.

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:07 PM

HQ and LH sumps are the same. Engine mounts should be the same.

#7 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:28 PM

yes everything is the same just get a motor out of a HQ onwards and it will drop straight in. Just grab a set of extractors to suit the torana, could probably even pick up second hand ones pretty cheap. remember if you have an SLR dash to change the tacho switch at the back from 6 to 8. You will need a V8 radiator too as the top hose is on the left for the holden 8's not the right like the 6's

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:35 PM

Another forum member paid $61 for a complete exhaust system for their Torana. From extractors to tailpipe. One guy here has a V8 radiator for sale on Ebay ATM.

#9 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:33 AM

I think you will also have to get a gearbox crossmember for that conversion too. tailshaft, yoke, and perhaps bigger brake booster for rego.
I converted mine from a four cyl sunbird to V8 17 years ago and found the best way is to find a really rough v8 torana and swap everything over. that way you can see how it is supposed to look and you factory wiring loom for the engine.
It is probably cheaper to do that than source everthing seperate.

PS if you do the conversion be sure to take pics and post them up and ask lots of questions. good luck with it.

Edited by ChiaLX, 15 February 2006 - 08:35 AM.

#10 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:09 AM

If you use a V8 4speed or trimatic your tailshaft/ crossmember etc will fit.

Technically you should upgrade to a V8 shaft and unis but that would involve changing the pinion yoke on the diff. I doubt any inspector would notice anyway.

You can get away with the 6cyl booster, thats all SL spec LH's had.

As the others pointed out, HQ sump, pick up and eng mounts will go straight in. Exhaust manifolds are Torana specific so just get some old pipes.

HQ V8 radiator and hoses are the go, or C/dore V8 if you dont mind a bit of fabrication.

Dont forget the Torana specific alt. bracket, probably the hardest thing to organize.

Dont dream it....DO IT !!

#11 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:24 AM

Got an alt bracket here too!

#12 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:33 PM

I'm lucky with my find > i can use his shed for changeover with his 253 LX sittin next to us as a guide. Motor is coming complete including radiator and I have trans (thanks 2 chopper). I iz one happy camper!!
Those extractors etc i won off ebay were spot on, cant quite get a handle on the size difference tho!! I reckon I will have a tear in my eye when I finally get 2 c and hear motor running in existing torrie, current owner says exhaust aren't on, that will get me motor-vated (get it, motor ha ha).
Cant wait, Ruby gets to turn dirty at 30. I am leaning to it being a late birthday pressie for her, her make was 6/76 and that is way too close for comfort.
Any mention of springs, or would the 202 already b set up with the rite ones?? Ruby needs new ones(173>253).

Ps, I do talk as much as I type. XXXXXXX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users