lc/lj v8 conversion

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 _ultrabluea9x_

_ultrabluea9x_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:03 AM

hey guys doing a v8 conversion on my lc ,
i need to know what parts to buy (sump, eng mounts,extractors bla bla)

#2 _majuva33_

_majuva33_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:16 PM

Talk to Rory. He's just finished his 308 LC conversion.

Cheers

Mark

#3 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:35 PM

Front to back.
HQ 308 radiator.
HQ V8 engine mounts.
Commodore pass side exhaust header.(points down at 45 degrees)
LH extra knuckle fitted 100mm above cross member.
V8 gearbox shaft.
Cable throttle from LH or HQ.
Throttle pedal to suit. (Gemini is good with a bit of bending)
Std rocker covers to clear booster.
"HI Energy" sump for conversion.(American Auto Parts)
VN - VS hi torque small starter for clearance.
Mix all together then bolt it in.
Done.
R

Edited by rorym, 17 November 2005 - 12:37 PM.

#4 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:34 PM

you make it sound so easy :D

#5 _ultrabluea9x_

_ultrabluea9x_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:06 PM

rorym you do make it sound easy,i just got some extractors of a friend this morning, so i am told i wont have to move the steering column across .
do you know if this correct?

#6 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:12 PM

My extractors sat hard on the suspension arms so I took them out again and fitted the stock headers as per the real HDT car. My experience tells me it would be trial and error with extractors. Be prepared to take them out again (you only have to lift the motor a bit so it isnt a big drama)and possibly move the column as well.
R

#7 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:09 PM

Early w/pump & lh alt bracket to finish it off.You can use the original oil pressure/water temp senders & get tacho recalibrated.You also have to trim the x-member under starter motor & maybe a few other little things.What heads are you using & transmission?

#8 _ultrabluea9x_

_ultrabluea9x_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:01 PM

using the 308 out of my A9X and a m21 4 speed out of a gts monaro,extractors are castle auto and building my own sump with crank scraper windage tray(l34)

Edited by ultrabluea9x, 17 November 2005 - 11:02 PM.

#9 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:27 PM

Try the starter first before you trim the suspension arm, some clear ok and remember the engine torques to the drivers side.
When mods get all the old tech articles up, you can get a fair bit of info of wouldbee's story on it.
R

Edited by rorym, 18 November 2005 - 04:28 PM.

#10 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:24 PM

I made up an alternator bracket and am not totally happy with it. I am looking at Red engine brackets and HQ, I will keep you posted which one works out the best combination.Just got to make sure it clears the battery.
ULTRA, Once you have done it once, it is a piece of p=ss! Pity you didnt live in Qld! :P
R

Edited by rorym, 21 November 2005 - 05:27 PM.

#11 _ultrabluea9x_

_ultrabluea9x_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:48 PM

hey rorym i have two daughters who live in cooloongatta(i think i spelt that right us mexicans down cant spell)where abouts are you will be up end of january ,maybee we can catch as i would love to see your ride!!!!!!!!!

#12 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:15 AM

Rares make the altinator brackett your after. Fitting extractors is a prick, even the CRS ones we used needed touching up
Any pics you want mate let me know and give me a few days

#13 _ultrabluea9x_

_ultrabluea9x_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:37 AM

hey guys engine is going in tommorow ,i do need to know about the tail shaft,does the original fit or do i need to get one shortened?PICS WOULD BE GOOD!!!!!!!

#14 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:57 AM

Ultra, I am 3.5 hours north of Coolangatta.
I am going to use a HT 253/308 alternator bracket.
Standard tailshaft just slips in, tho I have a V8 HQ I am getting cutdown and will fit that with the V8 yoke in the diff. Lots of little things to do on my xmas break! :P
R

#15 _ultrabluea9x_

_ultrabluea9x_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:25 PM

thanks rory

#16 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:37 PM

I also fitted braided steel brake lines...just do it.
Tailshaft quote today to shorten and balance the V8 HQ shaft is $121. They want proper measurements to be sure as well as a std one to compare. You will need a V8 banjo yoke, $25 on ebay. As A2 says, get the right unis, grease nipple in the centre of the body, NOT the ones from Taiwan with nipple on the end of the uni head.
R

#17 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:18 PM

be carefull with the gearbox yoke. A V8 trimatic yoke is the same as any 6 cylinder. we originally used it and after it started to make a vibration we tried to change the uni but found the whole yoke had twisted. A turbo 350 or 400 yoke will go straight into a trimatic and is a lot bigger and stronger, after we changed it weve had no trouble.

#18 _ultrabluea9x_

_ultrabluea9x_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:20 PM

LC GTR THE TURBO 4OO yolk will not fit as it is double the size of a tri/350 one,i have a muncie m22 rockcrusher that will go in at a later date and i am deciding beetween a 12 bolt or a 9in ,most people say 9in but vic roads as well as some enginners do not like them as they are to heavy and the clearance problems are a hassle(please explain legallities suck)

#19 _SLR_

_SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:12 AM

I�m no expert but I don�t think the weight should matter as it is unsprung weight as for the clearance issues I�m sure as long as you have at least 10mm of clearance to all other components through full suspension travel then there should be no problems. If your not happy with what the engineer is telling you then ask another engineer for a second opinion.

#20 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:01 AM

I didnt know that about the yokes I assumed they were the same.
Ill go a Borg Warner conversion next time. Lightweight, modern design, every ratio available, ready made disc brakes and strong as any of the others.
Plus you can get them cheep. I bought a V8 VL one for $350 from a wreckers complete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users