• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:19 PM

Hi all,
I live in Karratha in the pilbara in WA. We only have one event a year for street drags and that is in Newman which is about 600km from here. I am looking into the possibility of organising a similar event here. Does anyone out there have any experince or advice to give about orginising such an event. I have started a petition to see if there is any support for the idea. Hopefully if that gets a good reciption I can take it to the local council and see if I have any joy there. We had an article in the local paper about hoon drivers and givin the fact that we have nowhere to be hoons I though I should do something about it. Any advice would be great guys.

#2 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:53 PM

get the coppers out there with ya's, they will be quite happy to help if it curves the bad behaviour. Plus they must be priddy much switched on if they can shoot a murder suspect from victoria without even knowing it!

#3 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:20 PM

lol!
he just looked guilty!

the big issue you will face trying to race anywhere but on a track is public liability.

them 2 words along scare the shit outta people

#4 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:00 PM

I know the insurance kills a lot of things like this. But people are on good money here, so I hope to work something out. I think getting the coppers on side would be the go, that would have to go a long way

#5 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:11 PM

i reckon.
get the cops onside.
possibly even speak to a youth worker aswell as they often have good ties in the local council

#6 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:22 PM

Little confused about what you're tyring to organise here

Are you trying to organise a legal or illegal street drag?

If the answer is legal, good luck.
I'm not saying it's impossible but.......
You should discuss it with the council which is easier if you're a member of the council or associated with it.

Keep in mind what they (and the police) will be thinking, what if someone gets injured? Who is responsible? Who will cover it? TAC? Who can get sued?

There are quite a few laws and bylaws you have to hurdle over.

Don't expect the cops to give you the go-ahead aswell, they can be held responsible and accountable if something drastically goes wrong if they ever did.

If you're trying to organise illegal street drags, I wouldn't use the forums to do it.

#7 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:26 PM

Yeah, i think talking to the local police would be a fantastic idea, local police work in thight knit with local youth groups etc, when i did work experience with the police they were involved in getting a Car Restoration place up and running for local youth to learn skills with cars etc. This was one of there most popular things!

Maybe get hte local papers involved etc... Remember its the little old ladies etc that whinge and whine about this stuff which dissallows it, and they read these local papers like gospel.. I dont know how many times my Grandma tells me about things she read in the local paper that i should do...

If a car event is in there, maybe linked in with a primary school EVERYONE thinks its a great idea! haha

A local school here in Melb hold a Fundraiser and have a car show on their school grounds...

U need community support to run something like this, Police, Council, Children, Parents, Old People......

So just ring around and get the community to push it, maybe even rish businesses get on board and help it along..

Anyway just some ideas

#8 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:56 PM

Interesting point about your Work Experience with the Police there, Matt.

Some great ideas there too, you seem to have mentioned Boronia PS's annual car show, and i agree that it really get the community excited around there. Very popular and word about it gets to all the clubs. If you know of any car clubs in your area Shane, it may pay to get in contact with them too!

#9 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:48 PM

it was called Car 28, People in the Monbulk area may have heard of it.....

#10 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:16 PM

Just for the record guys I'm taking about legal street drags here. Anyway thanks for your thoughts so far

#11 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:25 PM

lol@the old people and the paper!
maybe if you sold lamingtons at the races and the proceeds went to the primary school!

#12 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:35 AM

Are there actually any real race tracks nearby? If there is, its not impossible to talk with the police and council etc and try arrange for a street meet once every week or something. Because their insurance should already be adequite. But if there is no actual certified tracks around, theres basically zero chance..

Even street meets its highly dangerous. There was a write off at WSID (my local strip) a few weeks back. If it wasn't a proper venue the driver would probably be dead.

Edited by QIKSLR, 10 February 2006 - 08:38 AM.

#13 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:00 AM

If it is 1/8th mile drag racing you have in mind then it is not impossible to orginize (even the public liability etc) , WADDRA (warnabool and district drag racing association)
http://dragster.com....c9b37b8b847f1e2

run several events a year at there local airport, they have been doing it for years. You might want to contact someone like them who has done it before , 1/8th mile drag racing is possible but it will take a huge effort to set up all the logistics. It is not a one person job and a club is probably the best avenue to orginize things through to keep council/police/epa/insurance etc on side.

!/4 mile drag racing is almost imposible to orginize (ask JIM READ how long it took to get wsid to happen :D )

#14 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:13 AM

we have a 1/8th mile track here and the amount of money the local hot rod club, lammitina and morgie put in was rediculous. Before the track we had organised meets at a local out of the way road.
MYLJ- airport is an awesome idea, im sure karratha airport aint that busy?
Definatly get the cops in on it (their best wishes will go a long way with a local council) dunno if W.A has it but many moons ago (dunno if they still have them now) there was a couple of "bluies" copper driven drag prepared cars (a VL and a VS??) for the use of encouraging LEGAL drags. Plus it gives you all bragging rights that "you dragged a copper" win or loose there always a great source of amusement and quite happy to lend you a hand,
Good luck!
Oh BTW i'll quite happily say 90% of coppers are the biggest bloody rev heads out lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users