LH/LX gearbox cross member

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:14 PM

Hi, with the gear box securing mount, I'm not sure what it's called, it bolts on to the bottom of the box and secures to the chassis - are the two bolts connecting the two supposed to be turned tight or do they stay relatively loose? I need to buy a manual, it's true.

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:53 PM

They need to be torqued up to FT*.

*FT = F***en Tight.

#3 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:44 PM

They are 9/16 bolt size right? Mine seem not to be tightening. It's doing that merry go round thing. You keep tightening and it keeps spinning like some perpetual nightmare. The threads don't show any sign of burring or cross threading so wtf is going on? Maybe wrong thread size?

#4 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:54 PM

id say you have the wrong bolts, they are pretty coarse

#5 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:22 PM

Are they the 4 bolts where the "x" member bolts to the chassis rail?
If these are stripped in the rail you must find the next oversize bolt (regardless of original thread (consult you local bolt bloke) and retap the threads and replace the bolts. If it is the 2 bolts to the gearbox mount rubber, replace the gearbox mount rubber. If it is the 2 bolts where the gearbox rubber mount bolts to your gearbox extension housing either replace the extension housing or take to workshop to "helicoil" the threads as it would be more cost effective than buying the helicoil set to fix it yourself.
RACV MAN

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:03 PM

No matter what's stuffed, I have spares of all of the above.

#7 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:57 PM

The bolts that go into the box are 7/16 unc thread, 5/8 spanner head not 9/16 thats why they are not tightening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users