Rear sway bars

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

Ok i have done a search and found that you all have differing opinions on how a torana handles with a rear swaybay.
Most of that from what i could tell was mainly for circuit/track work.
My question is, Is it worth me getting a swaybar ? I would only drag it once or twice a year and the rest is Sunday driving.
Also if the concensus is yes where do i get 1 from ? that will fit a 9"
Are there differnt types in the way they fit ? like i think Uc and Lh bolt up a little different, one to the diff arms and one to the under-body?

Thanks mick

#2 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:03 AM

all my sway bar seems to do is come loose and rattle....

#3 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:25 PM

only difference i noticed in my car with the rear bar was that it lifts the inside wheel up and makes it spin more .... this will happen if the swaybar is too thick or the front rolls too much .... i'd focus on the front before the rear. ....

also for drag racing i doubt you'd get a huge bonus from it, more for racing with corners i reckon ....

#4 _Baronvonrort_

_Baronvonrort_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:20 PM

I dont think the rear sway bar would make any difference with Et on the drag strip..

For sunday driving at the speed limit no difference on the road...

sounds like sammy needs a stiffer front sway bar to keep inside rear on the ground.

Without knowing what springs/shocks/tyres you have and whether these are suitable for your application it is difficult to know what your car is doing.

With a 4 way adjustable shock absorber slow bump can be stiffened to reduce body roll and the shocks can make a huge difference.

Basically to fine tune your sway bars

If the car understeers stiffen the rear bar or soften the front..

If the car oversteers soften the rear or stiffen the front..

Worn sway bar bushes can have the same effect as softening the bar.

#5 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:10 PM

From what I've read the sway bars should be matched. The rear swaybar is always smaller than the front. For example, my front is 24mm and my rear is 18. So I imagine if you ran a small sway bar on the front, there is probably no need for one on the rear at all. But if you ran some huge 25-30mm thing on the front and nothing on the back I reckon you'd have a loose rear end (that shoulds gay).

As said above, if your drag racing then it wont do a thing. But on the same merrit, why put one on the front??

Edited by QIKSLR, 20 February 2006 - 02:11 PM.

#6 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:36 PM

bar on the front = understeer...would be more stable at the other end of the strip.

on that token a rear sway bar helps wiht the launch, instead of kocking the front tyre it plants the back wheels in the groudn harder...theoreticaly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users