Photo

Phillip Island Classic Race Meeting

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

One day...when I have the money...I am going to buy this and bring it home to OZ.
R
Posted Image

#27 _NVMYLH_

_NVMYLH_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:48 PM

Spewin i couldnt get down there, my dad said its was awesome once again. Many people take much notice of the Nb-Nc races?? Just wondering if anybody saw the yellow mustang (Darren Pierce, top qualified and won 3 of 4 races). Seems as though a lot of people (mainly the camaro guys) arent happy that the 302 dad built is beating all their 5.7-6lt engines?? heh heh hehhhh, (Darren is a hell of driver but!)

#28 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:09 PM

hey ol'timer, did ya get a little chubby when ya got that pic ?.....thought you would!!!

phillip island was great,. first time for me and very impressed with the whole show.
well apart from the numerous damaged cars of course, john b is on his way home with a broken leg, a sore noggin and i suspect a fair amount of bruising...lucky !
some of the group c/a cars got damaged and around 10 or so nc historics did in one incident alone.
so i think its fair to really consider the thought of group c/a 'nc' category. these cars are getting thin on the ground and as i would think there are probably those who are thinking twice about serious racing with these vehicles due to the rarity and increasing value. this is not to suggest replica cars but to allow an 'nc' style of a groupc/a car without the signwriting of the genuine car................laz

#29 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

The group N cars provided the best racing of the meeting again. The dices between Mollers sideways Camaro (shades of Paul Stubber) and the Mustang were a highlight. Darren said his engine was 100% legal at the presentations, but not suprising that questions were raised as he regularly out powered the Chevys.
Glenn Seaton also had his V6 Capri flying and it was good to see John Mann back in the Mustang, the two having something of a coming together.
Unfortunately carnage on the start line in the under 3000cc race on Sunday saw the race cancelled with several cars very badly damaged.
John Sheppard was running his magnificent replica of Maybach II and Harry Firth was in the pit area.

#30 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:32 PM

Good to hear he's OK...

Some pics (Saturday) from my camera...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by knoath, 10 March 2008 - 09:40 PM.

#31 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

Some great cars on display
Posted Image
The car Brock drove 2 years ago
Posted Image
830hp on the move
Posted Image

#32 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:13 PM

Shaun, For shit sake lower the drivers seat!..A good hump and you will put dints in the roof. :huh:
R

Edited by rorym, 10 March 2008 - 10:14 PM.

#33 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:06 PM

Great pics guys, good to see the Grice hatch looking all nice and straight again.

Well done Shaun, improved in each session, what was she like to drive? Did you change anything much from the way Brock had it setup?

#34 wingnut

wingnut

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:39 PM

Great pics. thanx fellas.

I had 3 full days there drooling over the machinery.
The thunder of the F5000 rolling start was incredible.

Sam ( 350 LH ) I'll send you some pics from my wanderings around
the track to post up here - I found Siberia ( Turn 6) a good place
to get some action shots this time.

Bad luck about the carnage in the Nc under 3 litre race.

JR.

#35 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:48 AM

JR's pics as promised.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by 350LH, 11 March 2008 - 12:58 AM.

#36 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:29 PM

wow , what a great weekend that was , i,m definately not going back to drag racing , the circuit stuff is a ball of fun and more entertaining plus i reckon i,ve
had more drive time this weekend compared to the entire past 20 years of drag racing !!!! so if anyone wants a good 8 second drag car then yell out !!

sam , the hatch is in the same handling set up as when brock drove it so it was good however i dont have his skills or balls to go as quick as his 1.46 .. i was around the 1.56 and was happy with that for a first time out ...

great picks guys , thanks micklx and jr ..

good to catch up with a few of the boys over the past few days

i,m hooked so i put my entry in for tassie today ..

oh and yes rory i cant come to grips with cutting a hole in the floor to fit my lanky 6 foot 13 inch body in !!! but i,ll work something out ...

#37 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

Shaun , can you take some pics of the front sway bar setup and post 'em or PM them.

Can you also let on any front suspension details you may have?

Thanks,

Welby

#38 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

oh and yes rory i cant come to grips with cutting a hole in the floor to fit my lanky 6 foot 13 inch body in !!! but i,ll work something out ...

AhhHAH!..I win again!! Thats 2 now! NOS and 830HP have converted!..

Ditto on the pics you send to Welby to me as well Shaun..I want to compare.

Mate Great to hear you had a ball!..It is the biggest rush I have ever had..even better than bikes...its harder to fall off! :huh: Try bolting the seat to the floor for you...Stuffs up anyone else driving it but might solve the height problem.
R

#39 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

sam , the hatch is in the same handling set up as when brock drove it so it was good however i dont have his skills or balls to go as quick as his 1.46 .. i was around the 1.56 and was happy with that for a first time out ...

She's a pretty hairy track, esp the first time out there, at least it didnt rain! Well done, just glad to hear you had some fun and kept it straight!

#40 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the pics fellas, top stuff :spoton:

I'm wish I was there getting more pics myself to add to my growing collection. A few Torries I haven't photographed before, there and looking fantastic too. Maybe next year.

#41 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:25 PM

On ch 31 now Gasoline :rockon: :rockon:

#42 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:56 PM

One day...when I have the money...I am going to buy this and bring it home to OZ.
R
Posted Image

One from my collection...
Here it is in 1970..at speed at Warwick Farm.Look at the load on those right hand tyres
R
Posted Image

Frank told me a great story about the M10B..He had raced in Sth Africa..and was home waiting for the car to be unloaded off the wharf...It had Rothmans all over the container..Now you need to understand Rothmans was a Sth African company...apathied all that shit.. well he got a call from Peter Hughes to say the container was swinging out over the harbour by the wharfies who wanted $2000 to not drop it in the water...protest about apathied all that shit..we all know now it was just extortion money...Rothmans Aust arranged a very quick $2000 in cash to secure the car for Hughesy on the truck and away he went..Now in 1970 that $2000 in 1970 was a lot of money ..an MGB new was $1500.....about $70,000 today. But the wharfies were all good guys in those days...right????
R

Edited by rorym, 18 March 2008 - 11:10 PM.

#43 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

nice story rory and ..

there are a few differences in those two pics of the rothmans cars , for example the loop in the top of the roll cage , its either a different car or had some changes over the years !!!!

#44 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:17 PM

Yeah Shaun...the hoop just bolts in..
R

#45 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:39 PM

I'm not familiar with the M10B... But is the engine a stressed install? It looks like it.

#46 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

Weapon of choice in 1969/71...McLaren M10B F5000
Engine is a stressed member.
R

#47 wingnut

wingnut

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

Hey Jock

You know that McLaren M10B that your old boss won the 1970 AGP in - well you
should have been cashed up in 2003 when it featured in the Shannon's Grand Prix auction ( 10/3/02 ) - It was estimated to fetch $ 210 - 260,000 and if I remember correctly it sold for about half that !!! what a steal eh !!! - fabulous car and good to see it on display again at P I. The auction catalogue has a good page with photos and precis of its history if you would like me to scan it for you.

I believe Channel 31 will repeat the Gasolene Prog. at 6.30 PM this coming Saturday.
There are a couple of interesting pit interviews with some Group Nc drivers. Ray Challis talks a bit about the 202 blue motor in his XU-1.

Cheers JR.

#48 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:08 AM

Thanks Wingy

[email protected]

It is a beautiful thing and a credit to the restoration.
R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users