HG Carb Question

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:25 PM

YES

this is my current point. if it's all great and wonderfull, why don't we see this more often???

the reason i'm being a pain in the butt is i don't have half the fittings....so it would take a bit of fabricating to make it work....ie a bit of effort that i could be using on something else.

#52 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:39 PM

Couldn't you drill and tap the manifold to suit the brass fittings you can get over the counter at Repco and Bursons?

#53 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:40 PM

Yes there are theories of the ifs and buts. I will try and share my knowledge without getting in to a debate (I am old and frail and just don't need it).
The heat the manifold quickly theory whether it be water, exhaust (e.g two manifolds bolted together and a flap or commy where exhaust runs through base of inlet manifold) and heat riser ducts are all about getting the whole engine up to operating temp as quick as possible for quicker drivability therefore less emissions. FastEH is spoton about vapourisation too as if you can turn a liquid into a gas it will burn more efficiently, this is done by heating the fuel and is called thermal efficency. But to get more grunt we want volumetric efficency which means more, dense air. The compromise is big induction or turbo and intercooler which delivers mass cool air to the manifold but then the manifold heats the air/fuel mix to deliver both volumetric and thermal efficiency. Make sense?

I am totally spent in my brayn (too many big words) from this post and am going to bed.

RACV MAN

#54 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:47 PM

Couldn't you drill and tap the manifold to suit the brass fittings you can get over the counter at Repco and Bursons?

not really, they have weird rectangle shaped holes where the origs bolted, there to small to really do anythign with. to dirll and tap would be to stuff the manifold. i could, on the other hand, blank off the two rectangle holes and drill and tap holes in the side of the manifold, providing i don't manage to go somewhere id ont' wanna. not to mention that they would have to be fairly decent sized fittings....unless i run step down hoses.

rodomo, yes that makes sence, ta for that :spoton:

#55 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:48 PM

Step down fittings are also available over the counter at the usual suspects.

#56 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

yeah.

something else occured to me. if the water cooling was for a performance reason, why didn't the xu-1's...with carbs that don't like heat to much....run water cooling???? yes the carbs werent directly above the exhaust but still....

#57 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:34 PM

thats because its not water cooling..its water heating and they are vastly different carbs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users