62 replies to this topic

#1 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

hey guys.my torana seems to not enjoy batterys..i think its bout the 3rd or 4th its gone through in 2 years..top brand batterys so dont suggest there shit batterys.

now the alternator is new and the battery has still shit itsself,what could be causing this????battery is under warranty so ill get another 1,but dont want to always do this exercise.also running a gilmer belt from die crest(i think).

cheers

#2 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:29 PM

Check the earths,
If you are running a different belt size they may be over revving and cooking themselves.

Welby

#3 _WantOneNow!_

_WantOneNow!_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:33 PM

Have you tried testing the charging system with a multimeter to make sure its working 100%? As it does sound like you are chewing through batteries faster than normal.
Cheers Mick.

#4 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:35 PM

Average battery life is 3 years 7 months.
Does the car sit for long periods, e.g. 3 weeks or more?

#5 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:38 PM

you have checked the alternater charge rate. if its too high or too low it will cause probs. also if you have extra electrical load eg. thermo fans big stereos. alternator may not be coping that well. wont take many extras to need a bigger current alternator on a torana.

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:41 PM

Ideally, the alternator needs to be kicking out 14.3V for the new calcium chloride batteries. With the keys out of the ignition, remove the battery positive terminal and place an ammeter between the battery and the lead. Current draw should be less than 0.1 amps. Start there and see how you go.

#7 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:57 PM

cheers guys.i took the batt back saturday morning they tested it and it came up just flat.so they charged it and said its fine now.and they also said those little windows with the green dots dont work and are just for looks,(i lost the green dot i think before i even used the batt).

now something has flaterned my battery,wat could it possibly be?only after market part i have is the au thermos but they only run when the motor is on and like over a certain temp.

the alt is new so is there anyway i can check wat is causing the battery to go flat?

#8 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

Get in the boot and closed the lid.... :spoton: Stupid...but happened to me. Does it have a regulator?
R

Edited by rorym, 02 March 2008 - 07:26 PM.

#9 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

yeah

#10 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

the alt is new so is there anyway i can check wat is causing the battery to go flat?

Have you done what I suggested in my previous post?

#11 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

yeah

Alarm bells are ringing...
R

#12 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:52 PM

Turn the headlights on. Start it, and bring it above idle, and check to see that the headlights get a bit brighter. They should do, as even a perfect battery will not output as much voltage as a charging system (ie alternator) in good condition.

Drive it, park it, and try to start it after a week. Is the battery flat? Charge it, drive it, park it again, except this time, disconnect he battery. Reconnect it and start it. If it starts OK, then you have something drawing power from the battery when the car is sitting. This doesn't happen with standard Toranas, as nothing is connected with the ignition off - even the factory clocks draw so little current, they wouldn't make a difference. Look for culprits such as the thermo fans being wired incorrectly, car alarm, extra gauges or amplifiers hooked up to the battery when they should be hooked up via the ignition switch.

#13 _Chriskoss-79uc_

_Chriskoss-79uc_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

Turn the headlights on. Start it, and bring it above idle, and check to see that the headlights get a bit brighter. They should do, as even a perfect battery will not output as much voltage as a charging system (ie alternator) in good condition.

Drive it, park it, and try to start it after a week. Is the battery flat? Charge it, drive it, park it again, except this time, disconnect he battery. Reconnect it and start it. If it starts OK, then you have something drawing power from the battery when the car is sitting. This doesn't happen with standard Toranas, as nothing is connected with the ignition off - even the factory clocks draw so little current, they wouldn't make a difference. Look for culprits such as the thermo fans being wired incorrectly, car alarm, extra gauges or amplifiers hooked up to the battery when they should be hooked up via the ignition switch.

so you're saying in an old car eg. a torana, its best to hook up amplifiers via the ignition so it doesn't drain the battery?

#14 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:41 AM

You can hook them straight up to the battery, provided you remember to turn the bloody thing off. If you can remember to turn off headlights, you can remember to turn off a stereo.

#15 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

Have you found anything yet Guns?

#16 _Chriskoss-79uc_

_Chriskoss-79uc_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:18 PM

You can hook them straight up to the battery, provided you remember to turn the bloody thing off. If you can remember to turn off headlights, you can remember to turn off a stereo.

...... I wasn't the guy who started the thread chop

#17 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:58 AM

As no name was mentioned, I wasn't directing it at anybody in particular. It was a general response.

#18 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:12 PM

Do you have the plastic tray under the battery?

My point is my forklift at work went through 2 heavyduty batteries in quick time and i had fitted them directly on the steel frame, was also constantly charging them, the latest new one (Standard duty) i threw a piece of doubled up cardboard under it and it's been fine for about six months and havent had to charge it once.
(I only use the forklift, if its lucky once or twice a month)
I dont think batteries like being directly on cold steel surfaces?

#19 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:22 PM

The cold doesn't flatten batteries, but it does slow down the chemical reaction between the plates that creates electricity ( can't think of the name of the process ). I was learnt all this from John Aumuller from Exide in the early 90's. Visist Exide or Century's website, as they may have a better explanation.

#20 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:33 PM

Electrochemical Reaction :D

#21 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:41 PM

I was just amased at how fast the batteries were dying (Dead), and no longer taking a charge.

The only thing that i have changed is the cardboard & the standard duty battery was a 2nd hand one that was sitting under my bench for at least a year, was dead flat, i charged it once and its been perfect since.

#22 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

Lead acid ( or now calcium chloride ) batteries don't like cold. When I was in the tyre industry, the first really cold day of the year used to be very quiet first thing in the morning. Then after about 10.00 AM, people would bring in their cars for new batteries, because it would take the RACV that long to get out to all the stranded motorists. Normaly sold at least 10 car batteries on the first cold morning of the year, every year.

The problem is worse in forklifts, because they have a couple of tonnes of cold hard metal in the counterweight. The more metal, the more heat it extracts out of everything, including batteries. The colder the battery, the slower it cranks. Until it gets to the point where it doesn't crank.

#23 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:02 PM

Well, I gave Gunners a battery tray, I'm pretty sure that he is using it.

I can vouch for the cold though... Over summer if i dont drive the car for a few weeks, I can start it no problems at all. In winter, i leave it for a week and it will have heaps of trouble starting!

#24 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

thanks matt!yep i got a genuine ss battery tray!haha. :fool:

guys was just curious bout the small black wire that comes off the back off the alternator,does it just connect into a spade on the back off the alt?

#25 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

Black? I think it's purple the one that comes from the back of the alternator to the tell tale on the dash. The only other thing I could think of, is it's possibly connected to a condenser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users