62 replies to this topic

#26 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:48 PM

think found the prob.that black box on the back of the alternator with the 2 spades comeing out of it,so ran 1 wire to the power on alt and 1 wire to the loom wire and now should recharge all good!!

#27 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:01 PM

That black box is the regulator. Sounds like you've fixed it.

#28 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:39 AM

yeah was told the new alts are like this now.just thought it was another black box like the other 1 is.

#29 gooley

gooley

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Car:Holden Torana LC 1970 Coupe

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:15 PM

Yeah they have internal regulators where even my LC/1970 model torrie had the external one.....well I think thats right later on they went internal...there was a better reason for producing it like that like no moisture etc...

#30 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

so since i ran the 2 wires from the black box on the back of the alt,1 to the wire that goes to the dash,and the other to power on the back of the alternator.done bout 40 khs and the battery went flat again!!!!

now the batt is near new and got tested and is fine.the alternator is new.

i only have ba thermos ,and gas as the added eletrical wires.no sick stereo bro!

so dunno what the g o is!

#31 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:43 PM

how many amp is your alt? standard? your hermo's are on a fair bit arnt they?

#32 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:34 AM

We need to get some of those Multimeter things to really see whats going on, otherwise we are just guessing...

Angus has one, maybe i'll talk him into to coming to visit if u dont sort it out saturday....

#33 VitcLJ

VitcLJ

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

could be that something is drawing current when the ignition is turned off. One crude way of finding out is to charge the battery remove the earth lead (or positive if easier) and with everthing turned off (doors shut boot shut if it has a light in it under bonnet light off if you have one) wipe the lead over the terminal (its better if its in the dark) and if you can see sparks or hear them then something is drawing current. Mind you if you have an alarm or keyless entry fitted you will have to pull the fuses to them as they are on all the time. If you have an alarm fitted this could well be the culprit. Also if it does spark one big culprit is diodes in altenators going leaky. Take the big positve lead off the altenator (insulate it or set it up to not touch anything) if you get sparks and try again with the wiping. If you were getting sparks and now don't, replace the altenator!
Mind you its much more conclusive and correct with a meter but if you aint got one this can be a crude system for finding the fault. (If you do get sparks another thing to try is placing a small globe between the battery terminal and the lead it will sometimes glow if it does then pull each of your fuses in turn until the globe stops glowing and thats your problem circuit.

Alarms are also bad for causing these types of problems especially the cheap mass produced stuff from your friendly local auto parts and audio outlets.

#34 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:46 PM

I had this problem with my gemini. The thing just would not hold a charge. I pin pointed it down to the Spot lights on the front of it being connected directly to the alternator via a relay... i would say someone has wired them up incorrectly. I disconnected it and haven't had a problem since..

Cheers

Josh

#35 _V8Hatch_

_V8Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

I had the same problem with my Ute, new battery and Alt charging perfectly, it took me a while but i found the problem it was the horn relay stuck on and the horn wasn't working. I found it by burning my hand when i touched the relay.

When you find the problem it will be a simple one and you will be kicking yourself.

Guns & Roses, where are you located PM me

#36 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

Get in the boot and closed the lid....

I've come across the bootlid staying on a few times over the years while working for RACV depots.
If you get in the boot and close the lid, make sure someone is there to let you out........

#37 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:36 PM

could be that something is drawing current when the ignition is turned off. One crude way of finding out is to charge the battery remove the earth lead (or positive if easier) and with everthing turned off (doors shut boot shut if it has a light in it under bonnet light off if you have one) wipe the lead over the terminal (its better if its in the dark) and if you can see sparks or hear them then something is drawing current.

If the car has a clock fitted, that will draw current, along with a stereo with memory for clock or radio stations. Better suggestions have already been posted in this thread that will give a more accurate result.

#38 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

could be that something is drawing current when the ignition is turned off. One crude way of finding out is to charge the battery remove the earth lead (or positive if easier) and with everthing turned off  (doors shut boot shut if it has a light in it  under bonnet light off if you have one) wipe the lead over the terminal (its better if its in the dark) and  if you can see sparks or hear them then something is drawing current.

If the car has a clock fitted, that will draw current, along with a stereo with memory for clock or radio stations. Better suggestions have already been posted in this thread that will give a more accurate result.

VictLJ is correct with his method.
A trained eye will know the difference between a big drain and a clock.

#39 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:44 PM

Steve, Gunners is down in Cranbourne...

#40 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:44 PM

A clock tells the time, whilst a big drain is where Fords are dumped.

#41 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:02 PM

BWAHAHAHAHHA

#42 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:24 PM

Steve, Gunners is down in Cranbourne...

Bugger! I was down that way about 6 pm.
We could have drank beer, talked shit, got no-where on the car and I still could have driven home :huh: ............opportunity lost :cry:

#43 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:47 AM

I know what the problem is, its the F*&D part you sacriligiously fitted to the Holden! :tease:

#44 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:09 PM

rodomo the beer is always here!!i gotta take the car to the exhaust shop down the st on mond so hope all is ok (should be as long as they dont cruising)

the alternator is a bosch 85amp and was new when i fitted it 120 k's ago,along with the battery.battery was tested by battery shop and it is fine.

i got a s dash with no clock!!!!!i got a cd player that doesnt work!!!

headlights stoped working thanks to mrlxss!!

just got my gas and ba thermos..no alarm or extra electrical stuff...

its a new style alternator with the black box on the side,1 wire from that goes to the power on the back of the alt,the other wire goes to the small wire than runs into the loom,

i got a big red wire from back of alternator going to the battery,and the other big red wire goes from the starter motor via a fusable link into the loom...(as shown in the torana manual).

back of alt now as that little spade with nothing on it,as that was where the litle loom wire went,which now joins the black box.

also there is a little black box on the back of the alt,with a black wire that goes onto a spade on the back..

also the gas conversion is new,

and when i bought the car off a ex mate last year,the battery was #@$^%&,and was the 2nd he had in the car in 1 year and had the new alt with the car as he said the old 1 was shit.....

#45 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:12 PM

i took the car for a cruise the other night,just a small 1 and the car ran crap as on idle,obvious cause the power was going.. was good at 100 but when i backed off it wanted to stall

it eventually did and i couldnt turn the motor over cause battery was flat

a mate came to help and we couldnt jump it..my torana still wouldnt turn over..

horn worked and heard gas turn on when i turned ignition on..

took his battery and my car got home easy as

#46 _V8Hatch_

_V8Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

What car was the alternator for? could the pulley be to big therefore not spinning fast enough to charge? It sounds like the wirring for the alternator is correct. Have you put a volt meter on the battery while at idle to see what it's reading?

#47 _V8Hatch_

_V8Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:55 PM

Guns, does the back of your Alt look like this one?
Posted Image

#48 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

yeah does look like that..

just had the multimeter on it

12.4 at the battery and when runnign the alternator is at 12...

and im told its meant to be 13.8 minimum????

so the alternator isnt charging??????????

im running the dicrest gilmer belt.which ive been told the pulley on that is the same size as the standard?

#49 _lx-304_

_lx-304_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

is the gilmer pully the same diameter as the one you took off

#50 _V8Hatch_

_V8Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:30 PM

Should be charging at 14.3 V check that you have wired it the write way as per the diagram. Check the 2 wires that go into the plug on the side are the right way around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users