Legal Lowered Hieghts

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:58 PM

Hey all,

Just posting up to see if anyones a bit more smarter than the cops and transport S.A and give me the legal height limit for 1976 LX V8

I Cant find the measurments anywhere, i need to know the eyebrow height( from center of wheel to the gaurd lip

Or any info would be appreciated

#2 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:17 PM

In Vic, the lowest part of the car isnt allowed to be lower than 100mm

So if you have a 4WD but your exhaust hangs 98mm off the ground its too low...

#3 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:31 PM

Sorry not 100% sure but something like:-

Maintain 2/3 of suspension travel. (I'm sure of this)

Nothing hanging closer to the road than the rim, ie nothing to catch on the road if the tyre blows out and you run on the rim.

But I remember folklore about rolling the old coke can around underneath as a guide to minimum clearance.

I don't remember lip clearance being a legit measurement. However there is a mention somewhere regarding the tyre must not foul suspension and body. However, when you turn the front wheels of most stock cars to full lock and compress the suspension the tyre will still foul the guards!!!!!!!

How many cars, even new ones have the wheel tucked up in the wheel well??

So sorry, mainly useless bable^^^^^^^^^^^^

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:09 PM

....the lowest part of the car isnt allowed to be lower than 100mm

Think you will find that is the rule across Australia.

#5 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:37 PM

As a rule with the LH/X's, stage one lowered springs which is 1", is as low as you can go. This also depends on your exhaust and the sway bar set up too as they impact heavily on Torana's. The 100mm is also for a laden vehicle, i.e 5 people in it.

The eyebrow height should be around 335mm front and rear.
Hope this helps.

#6 _waratah_

_waratah_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:05 AM

would like to find the legislation on how low i can go too and keep it in the glovebox.
was told by an experienced autopro owner you can go no lower than 25 mill lowered springs.

however a bloke i talked to had a skyline defected for having a blow off valve, the cops wouldnt budge but the defected was lifted when the the owner contacted the traffic section in adelaide , the cops in my town have various stories going around bout them defecting for bullshit reasons.

thus i want the law in writing and not have to argue opinion with a pig.

#7 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

^^ About that, I know there is a pdf file on the vicroads site that state all the laws for modified cars.

#8 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:37 AM

Cheers for the info so far guys, It seems there isnt enough info from the transport departments for the people who want to do things right!

I had thought of putting in standard 6cyl springs, a mate measured up his hatch with V8 And 6cyl springs and eyebrow was about 310-315mm, So REDSLUR If 1" lowered is prettymuch the max i may aswell put in Stock V8 Springs hey?

I Think there should be an online Document of regulations in regards to all cars, life would be so much easier :spoton:

#9 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:13 AM

would like to find the legislation on how low i can go too and keep it in the glovebox.
was told by an experienced autopro owner you can go no lower than 25 mill lowered springs.

however a bloke i talked to had a skyline defected for having a blow off valve, the cops wouldnt budge but the defected was lifted when the the owner contacted the traffic section in adelaide , the cops in my town have various stories going around bout them defecting for bullshit reasons.

thus i want the law in writing and not have to argue opinion with a pig.

Thats correct the Police can defect any car be it just or not. The end result is its an annoying tactic that generally causes one to go over the pits again.

An engineers report may be 100% correct but they still send you to the pits. Hope I never piss em off enough for that to happen.

Herne

#10 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:01 PM

Any cop can defect any car if it is unraodworthy in the cops OPINION.

The cops don't need rule books to make road side rulings.

#11 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:09 PM

The 100mm is also for a laden vehicle, i.e 5 people in it.

The eyebrow height should be around 335mm front and rear.
Hope this helps.

I thought the rule was 100mm with all four tyres deflated so as to include the diff etc that would not change with a load in the car and road height was 600mm to the centre of the headlight.

#12 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

I thought the rule was 100mm with all four tyres deflated...

No.

#13 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL, 03 VY SS

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:31 PM

however a bloke i talked to had a skyline defected for having a blow off valve, the cops wouldnt budge but the defected was lifted when the the owner contacted the traffic section in adelaide

Blow off valves are illegal when blown to atmosphere not just for the sound but for the oil fumes they blow out with the charged air, or at least thats what the EPA told me when we were getting a defected cleared on my brothers Nissan EXA

Edited by ilovea9x, 20 April 2008 - 04:32 PM.

#14 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

In QLD it is that no part of the vehicle can be closer than 100mm except for when it came from the factory like that. Unladen with air in the tyres.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users