#1 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

Hi All..
My LX Hatch is quite unpleasant to drive and has been for sometime.
Its been on the road just on 12 months and for a lot of that ther has been an exhaust smell in the cabin.It hasn't been too bad untill you go on a long trip as I get a headache which is a bit scary !!
Carbon Monoxide poisoning ??

Heres a rundown of what is done.
When the 308 went in
Extractors were recoed and Ceramic coated.
New Dual 2 1/2 in exhaust put in.
All new gaskets on 308 oil and exhaust/inlet.
So I doubt it is an exhaust leak.
I have put my hand around all the bolted flange connections and cant detect any sign of a leak.

Possible Down points
Rear of bonnet is raised 1/2'" to allow for the hot air to escape
Could this cause fumes to enter the plenum chamber below the screen and enter the cabin.?
Trans. tunnel is sealed best I could as I couldnt fit a rubber boot back on as I have used a muncie and had to modify the shifter so as I could use the centre console.
I have patched the hole where the clutch cable use to go through as I am using a hydraulic setup.

Has anyone got some tips or ideas or had this problem themselves??

The rear hatch seal is in good cond. as are the door rubbers. It is funny though its seems to be more noticeable when the windows are down.
I am assuming I may have a Manifold leak or possibly an exhaust manifold leak.
The car runs fine and doesn't have any sort of miss.
If you have a sniff around any of the air outlets or the gearstick while underway you can't notice any distinct smell but sure enough after a little bit of driving the smell starts to become overpowering.

Any help or advice is welcome ??
I do love driving the ol hatch but this sort of ruins the experience !!
Cheers
Obey 1 :spoton:

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:02 PM

Hi All..
My LX Hatch is quite unpleasant to drive and has been for sometime.
Its been on the road just on 12 months and for a lot of that ther has been an exhaust smell in the cabin.It hasn't been too bad untill you go on a long trip as I get a headache which is a bit scary !!
Carbon Monoxide poisoning ??

Can you PLEASE loan your car to my mother in law?

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

Grab a bit of hose and put it to your ear, and move around to see what you can hear, just watch the fan/belts.

Has the engine been painted? They can smell a bit till the paint settles, very yucky smell.

#4 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

Geez Chopper....I must be the only guy that likes his Mother in law !!

Yella..I just tried the hose idea and there is no real change in sound as I moved around the engine bay.
And the engine itself was painted before it was installed over 12 months ago.
Im 99% sure it is exhaust.

#5 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

I Have just had another thought.
when I did the engine I didn't replace the main rear seal.At the time it was put in the (too hard basket or the she will be right basket). Yeah Right !!
At the start the engine didn't leak any oil ,but gradually I started to find oil under the car.Now it regularly has oil underneath which has dripped out of the bell housing /flywheel dust cover onto the floor after returning the car to the garage..Not a massive amount say about the 3/4 the size of a CD.
I can't quite remember but I am pretty sure before the oil started appearing the smell wasn't there.
I pulled out the diptick and the smell of the oil is pretty similar to the smell in the cab.
Perhaps once the engine warms up and the oil starts to come out the rear of the block the smell enters via the Trans. tunnel opening.
Just a thought.
I think I am on to something..!!

#6 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

Sounds like the oil is dripping or blowing back onto the exhaust mate. It smells bad in the car when it does...

#7 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

Mmm, burning oil is very different to engine exhaust, smells yuck, but not as bad as burning rubber.

Have a look at the condition of the bottom rubber seal on your gear selector, probably entering the car through there. My uni-joint is slowly eating my lower gear selector seal away. That's probably where the fumes are coming in through.

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

Sounds like the oil is dripping or blowing back onto the exhaust mate. It smells bad in the car when it does...

Check for burnt oil on the exhaust.

#9 202to4

202to4

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:56 AM

DOES THE TORY HAVE TAIL PIPES OR DUMP BEFORE THE DIFF ? TAKE A GOOD LOOK AROUND THAT HATCH SEAL AND CHECK THAT IT DOES SEAL. ARE YOU SMELLING BURNT OIL FROM HITTING THE PIPES OR EXHAUST FUMES ? MY LJ HAS A ROOTED BOOT SEAL AND YOU CAN SMELL THE EXHAUST WORSE WITH THE WINDOWS DOWN.

#10 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:41 AM

The tail pipes are just standard out the back..as far as the hatch seal..it looks perfect, so is there anyway of checking it for sealing.??
There is a bit of burnt oil on the exhaust but it doesn't look like much.
Its funny though..if you smell the oil on the dipstick..it smells very similar if you are standing behind the car when running. a sort of burnt oil mixed with a bit of petrol in the mix.
Next step I think will be to seal the Trans Tunnel a lot better and see what happens.

#11 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

There is a bit of burnt oil on the exhaust but it doesn't look like much.

Considering the smell isn't in the cabin from the first moment the car is started, it is possible you may have found the source of the problem.

#12 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:32 PM

OK here is the latest.
I fitted a rubber boot to the top of the Trans. tunnel and took it for a run.There was a massive improvent and thought I had the problem licked.But every now and then...it seemed more often when you say take off from a stopped position that the smell would smack you in the face.If you say take off in 1st and when you go to change to second wham there was the smell.Didn't seem to make any difference window up or down.Anyway like I said I am getting closer to the prob.Will probably climb underneath over the weekend to see what I can do about the oil on the exhaust.
Keep them ideas coming !!

#13 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:11 PM

Its funny though..if you smell the oil on the dipstick..it smells very similar if you are standing behind the car when running. a sort of burnt oil mixed with a bit of petrol in the mix.

Maybe you have fuel wash, and the problem is more prevelant at idle because of the lower combustion pressures.

My 2 cents :D

#14 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:21 PM

Could you talk me through fuel wash please brewster ??

#15 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:32 PM

If the rear of your bonnet is up, the fumes can come in the plenum chamber. I would serously look at your rear hatch seal too

#16 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:57 PM

REDA9X...that has been mentioned a couple of times..any suggestions on what i should be looking for or how to test it.
It does appear to be in good nick..it is pretty maluable and isn't old and cracking or anything like that.
I will probably attend to the bonnet as well this weekend.
It's funny how a suggestion of (it's better as it helps the hot air escape by raising the rear of the bonnet) possibly leads to a worse problem.

#17 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

Fuel wash is, as I understand it, when your engine is not running hot enough and doesn't allow all the fuel to be burnt during combustion. The remainder of the fuel then washes away the oil from the rings of the piston and into your sump causing excessive wear of your bore.

This happened to my father, it turned out that he had a faulty temp sender unit, telling him that his engine was fine, when in fact it was running to cold. He had fuel in the oil and had to change the engine over because of the excessive wear.

#18 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

Thats very interesting to know Brewster..
How do you stop an engine from running too cold though ??
Hopefully my prob isn't this !!

#19 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

An engine running too cold is generally caused by a thermostat sticking open.

#20 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:37 PM

Correct spark plugs ( not the colder type ones ) and gaps, and not an over zealous cooling system, as in, having a 4 core radiator with twin thermo fans for a stock engine. :D

#21 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

And as Chopper said :spoton:

#22 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

Or because someone has removed it altogether.

#23 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

Hold on a minute, spark plug heat range has nothing to do with engine temp and no matter how good a cooling system is a correctly fitter thermostate controles engine temp.

#24 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:47 PM

Hold on a minute, spark plug heat range has nothing to do with engine temp and no matter how good a cooling system is a correctly fitter thermostate controles engine temp.

Sorry Obey to have mislead you, I thought the purpose of having colder burning spark plugs was to lower the temperature of the combustion chamber.
And if the thermostat isn't correctly fitted, then an over zealous cooling system will make it run colder! :tease:

#25 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:11 PM

Or because someone has removed it altogether.

That happens a lot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users