How many actually use torrys as daily drivers

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:55 PM

I use a LH 6cyl 173 auto on the cullumn as a daily driver for work each day and most of the time inside and outside of working hours, weekends etc. She's pretty reliable and will never die.

How many of us here actually use Torrys as daily drivers? Details?

#2 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:00 PM

My 73 4 door is my daily driver.

#3 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:00 PM

Well my torry is my only car on the Road at the moment, which means i suppose its my daily driver, but i wouldnt say i drive it everyday... I drive the old's car if i need to drive or catch the train to uni... My Torana is probably a 3 or 4 day a week car at the moment

#4 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

i drive a 6 cylinder LH SLR as my daily.

#5 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

My LX sedan is my daily and the LX Hatch is my dust collector :)

#6 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:18 PM

Yep, my daily driver is a 253 V8 powered LX hatchback, with aussie 4 speed (not the greatest for fuel consumption but still acceptable). It rolls on 16" billets, but apart from that is pretty stock. Being bright orange though it stands out. This baby is so practical, I'm always loading up the hatchback area with all sorts of stuff, I love it. Neat enough to keep me happy for a daily car, and I'm not worried about parking it everywhere etc, so it's a good all-rounder. Once I get around to lowering it somewhat, tinting the windows, and fitting a hot sounding exhaust, she'll be a bit more show-worthy too.

My weekend cruiser/event car is my 383 Chev powered LX sedan (was my daily driver for years but just became far too expensive, plus cars just get so wrecked driving them every day).

Awesome topic TORANR AMORE!

Cheers.

#7 _lexa_

_lexa_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:19 PM

my 72 LJ 4 door will be my daily when i get my P's in 8 months :D

#8 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:21 PM

If I drove a torana everyday, i'd sell it. My work van drives better. I have owned 6 of them, 3 at the moment. I have driven in total 500kms, all 6 over the years. I just like the look of them, so I buy them.

#9 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

I paint houses for a living if you what to call it that, So i need a ute
If there was a torana ute i would :tease:

There is a lx hatch been converted to a ute up hear look factory too,

#10 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:31 PM

My 72 LJ 4 Door, 173 Column Auto has been my daily for 3 weeks now no problems, but I guess the service booked in for Friday will tell the story :D
Only gripe I have is that she seems heavy on fuel for a 2.8L , maybe just me but a dyno tune might help...

#11 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:03 PM

Nup, modern cars are so much more dispensable when it comes to daily drivers. Got my KA Laser for that, got to keep in touch with my closet-ricer tendencies somehow.

#12 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:05 PM

calais turbo :)

#13 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:10 PM

Got no choice, for the past 9 months, right now and for the forseeable future my orange Torry is my daily driver, just means more care and lots more polishing is required.

Cheers
Herne

#14 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:15 PM

calais turbo :)

lol, you're a shocker aren't you.

In 2.5 years the LX will be my daily on strait LPG. It'll look like more of a showcar than the next project, but who cares.

#15 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:31 PM

My 73 LJ SL is my daily. 173, M20, 3.36 on straight gas. I cover around 600 - 700ks every week and I am quite happy with it. More power would be good, and a little less rust, but I enjoy Classic Motoring everyday.

Since purchase in 2002, i'v clocked up just over 50,000 miles with no major problems. Which takes the grand total mileage to just over 100,000 miles.

Steve

#16 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

I drove my LX 4 door 202 every day... Hard... and far untill about 3 years ago when i needed to update to something more modern.

I got a job which required wearing a suit and so it didnt look good rocking up in my beloved torry... So i had to get rid of it.. Unfortuantely i couldnt afford to do it up so i sold it.. And regretted it ever since.

:cry:

Wont bother saying what i drive now though.....

#17 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:50 PM

my 173 LH has been my daily driver for the last 7 years, but it will be retired to the shed soon, to make way for a commodore or something now that i have bought a house, so that i can finally get around to putting a chev in
cheers
dave

#18 _lexa_

_lexa_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

heath, why 2.5 years?

#19 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:15 PM

tory used to be my daily then i decided to take it off the road to save some money while getting it how i want it that didnt happen i bought the vh and that became my daily for 3 months now i have no licence so no daily :P except for the bus *rolls eyes*

#20 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

I have a private bus to get to work every day, an I seem to drive my landcruiser alot more than the torrie. Once I get all the work done on the cruiser it will be the torries turn for the work. Then I will be driving it more often. I want to be able to do the work at my pace, not have to rush it because of a yellow sticker :furious:

Edited by shanegtr, 13 February 2006 - 05:22 PM.

#21 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:40 PM

I drove my gtr for about a year as a daily but it was too wild with the solid cam & triple webbers,pissed the neighbours off starting it at 6am to go to work & I was always checking on it at work.I've been driving it with the v8 for the last 2 days straight & it sucks doing 50km/h everywhere,not to mention all the damn roundabouts.I'm very happy to go back to driving my vt ss everyday again.

#22 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:51 PM

My first torana, and second SL/R were daily drivers, the first was when i was an apprentice mechanic, the second in my current field Real Estate.

I now drive the Jazz or Clubbie as my everyday car, but when the current Torrie is back on the road, it will be my daily driver! no matter what the cost, i love driving them and dont care what anyone thinks!

Some of the clients i deal with spin out, there like wheres the beamer, lexus etc, they just dont have taste!

Some of the older clients love it and reminise with me!

I once had a landlord tell me how she got knocked up for the first time in the back of a torrie, it was a bit to much info for me though.

#23 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:01 PM

I drive my Turbo 202 LX to work and back 5 days a week... and i drive it around most weekends.
I didnt buy my car to be a garage ornament. I bought it because its a car i like to drive.. every day.

#24 _age_

_age_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:23 PM

as soon as i find a torana it will be my daily driver :D
but 4 now i need 2 wait till june 2 get me p's <_<

#25 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts