Photo

Big Torana? Little Torana? Why?

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Torana do you own and why? (255 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Torana do you own and why?

1. HB,LC,LJ,TA (100 votes [39.22%])

Percentage of vote: 39.22%

2. LH,LX,UC (155 votes [60.78%])

Percentage of vote: 60.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:10 PM

This came about via another thread that stated why we are all here on this forum and also refered to the Torana's first Bathurst win.
http://www.gmh-toran...=0
My Torana passion began when Brock beat the HO's in 1972, therfore I have an LJ.
Why do you have what you own?

Edited by rodomo, 20 March 2008 - 11:11 PM.

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:12 PM

Funny looking LJ in your avatar.

#3 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:14 PM

I currently own 3 LJ's, a four door daily driver, a 2 door GTR lookalike under restoration, (thanks MYLJ) and a GTR with serious issues hiding in my shed. I haven't progressed much in 32 years of driving, my personalised plates which started life on a shit hot four door LC are now on a 4 door LJ.

#4 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

Funny looking LJ in your avatar.

Exactly my point!
The car in the avatar is my son's car.
It was what I could afford for him when he turned 18.
That's why the poll asks why?
My LJ isn't worthy of an avatar pic at the moment.

Edited by rodomo, 20 March 2008 - 11:19 PM.

#5 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:20 PM

I've had 4 Toranas. One LX and three UC's. I still needed two baby seats when I bought my first Torry, so the LC/LJ's were never a practicable option.

#6 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:33 PM

Can't vote twice, i have both. 5 torana's in various states of disrepair. 4 door LC road car, 2 door LJ stockcar, 4 door LH shell for a new stockcar, Subbird LX Hatch shell i haven't decided what to do with, and a UC/LX Hybrid V8 Hatch on the road. I love them all, hopefully start some work on them again now that i'll be working again soon.

#7 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:50 PM

Can't vote twice, i have both. 5 torana's in various states of disrepair. 4 door LC road car, 2 door LJ stockcar, 4 door LH shell for a new stockcar, Subbird LX Hatch shell i haven't decided what to do with, and a UC/LX Hybrid V8 Hatch on the road. I love them all, hopefully start some work on them again now that i'll be working again soon.

Ahhhh! Dilemma! Ask yourself: "Which would I rather drive?" and vote accordingly.

#8 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:11 AM

Having owned several LC/LJ XU1s...This LH is my second one...the first (LH SLR5000) lasted 6 weeks b4 some scum stole it in Gladesville. It was a far better all round car than any LC/LJ..it steered better and went like stink...I think I was just due for the change...and always loved the 76 Bathurst car so guess it was the obvious next step. Next one would have been the orange hatch but Rocket beat me to it..Probably do Cullens /Pioneer Flying Ear if I do one.
R

#9 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:19 AM

The LC is fun for its own reasons, but the Hatch has better power, handling & especially the 4 wheel discs. So i'd have to vote that way.

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:34 AM

UP THE MIGHTY LITTLE ONES!!!!

#11 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:14 AM

ive had an lj 4 door and a hatch and now have lh and hb. the lj was my favourite but yeah no room 4 kid seats

#12 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:31 AM

Coz I was never a 6 Cyl fan, cant recall them racing, except at Speedway plus I think I am too big for them.

I lurrrv the sound of a tuff V8, the look of the fibreglass mechano set and the memories of them racing at Bathurst(Go Gricey). Plus my brother had one and I only ever drove it once as a 17yo in the wet and always wanted to drive another ... p.s. He has only driven mine once now I think about it !!! :rockon:

#13 4.2SLRLVJ

4.2SLRLVJ

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Car:LH L32 SL/R

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:50 AM

I am voting for the LH. I have owned 3 Toranas, my first was a L34 ('85 to '92) and around the same time I had a LJ 4 door ('88 to '91) with the 202 tri for use as a daily driver. After a 16 year break I have bought another LH to restore, this time it is a genuine SL/R L32 M20 not one that was 'customised' like my L34. (by the previous owner) The LH edges out the LJ but only just. The only reason is cos of the memories of the L34 and the extreme power and speed. Who am I kidding I love all Toranas. But the LH gets my vote . The aim is to get my new LH looking like it has just came off the line at Dandy.

#14 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:29 AM

give me a LH LX anyday, I prefer the steering wheel in the centre

#15 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:31 AM

Hard for me to vote as i own a 2 door LJ and a LX hatch best torana shapes ever made in my book :D

#16 _trna76hb_

_trna76hb_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:34 AM

I have had several LJ & LX Torana's. I now own a Hatch, i voted for the LH/LX due to better riding, steering & space

Ian

#17 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:41 AM

I voted for the little beasts! I have owned the GTR for a good few years now, and have also recently bought an lx.
The reason I got into toranas was because when I was younger an uncle of mine had an lx, with a 308, hotwires, it was an orangey-red with a black bonnet.
when i first saw it (about 12 or 13 yrs old) i thought it was awesome!
He took me for a spin in it and that was it! I needed a torana then.
I always liked the lj and lcs. LJs more so, and when i bought the lc i always intended on putting the lj front and back on it (thank f@!k i didnt!!!).
But once i got the lc home i loved its look. its more intricate grille and the paint styling is awesome.
The lx is more comfy to drive, but doesnt have the cool body lines that the lcs and ljs have.
i also love the sound of tripple carbs snarling away too! Ahh the sweet 6 cyl symphony!

#18 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:20 AM

I suppose the reason/s for me/my wife having Torries is, its a medium sized car but with a reasonably strong 6, albeit stock, its still better than a 4.

Every Holden i personally, have ever owned has been a 6,
EJ sedan 179,
EH wagon HP179 (i still have it under a bench, waiting, waiting?),
LJ 4 door, 202 Aussie, only for a very short time,
1st Hatch with 6, auto and air, (Factory)
VB wagon 202, Aussie 4 speed,
Current Hatch same as the 1st.

My wife also owned a LJ 4cyl, 4door, biggest pain in the arse car i've had to deal with, body not an issue but the running gear was crap.

So in the end we have had a variety of Holdens but we keep going back to Torries.

The Hatches are prefered because they are kind of a wagon hybrid, tail gate of sorts and fold down seats but still a coupe.

#19 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

Its a hard choice as the big ones evolved from the little ones, both forms are race winning champions. I love all 2dr Toranas !!! :tease:

#20 _UDLOSE_

_UDLOSE_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:37 AM

If we are talking about standard form, then I'd go for the LHs, but an LC with a V8 - no contest :D

#21 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:39 AM

Couldn't afford a 2-door of any model so naturally LH/LX was the way to go. I also wasn't that into any LC/LJ/UC models when I was 13/14.

I still prefer a real Torana but the baby Toranas are close behind.

#22 _SUPALJ_

_SUPALJ_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:18 AM

In the past I have had in my shed/carport 2 Lc 4 doors, 3 Lj 2 doors, 1 Lx 4 door, and as of yesterday 1 Uc 4 door. Now I would prefer my Lj coupes all day everyday but prices for parts are starting to get stupid, Had to sell them as little one on the way. Only got the Uc because my work daily driver shat itself on the last day of the heatwave. Picked it up cheap and will drive it into the ground.

Cheers SUPALJ , Corey

#23 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:23 AM

I love the look and styling of the LC/J Toranas.

Sorry guys I find the LH/X/UC a little plain in comparison, but i will admit they had some wicked race victories.

Steve

#24 _torana_kid_

_torana_kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:14 PM

yer iv got a lh torana, but would rather a lc/lj 2 door torana over the lh/lx, but saying that i still love the Lh,

#25 _pro386_

_pro386_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:30 PM

I perfer the lc and lj. I've had a few GTR look alikes in the past and have a LC 2 door, Lj 2 door and a TA 2 door. Why wouldn't u want one. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users