Holden Sandman

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 _hux454_

_hux454_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

G'day All,
For those who know me, it's been a while. Just had other things going on so I apologise for lack of communication. One reason for this is I have been working on a car I purchased back in Jan. It's a 1975 HJ Sandman Panelvan. Rather repeating everything again, here is the description of the vehicle I typed up for when I take it to car shows.
1975 HJ Holden Sandman Panelvan
After authentication, (I have never owned a Sandman Panel Van before purchasing this one, but found out they are very hard to prove original), purchased this Sandman in Jan 2008. Car was bought from Mildura, Vic.
Letter of authenticity from GMH stated the car was purchased new from Adelaide, S.A. in 1975. Car was a customer ordered Sandman, ordered with the following from the factory �
1. Model: 1975 Holden HJ Belmont Panel Van � (8WM70)
2. Engine: 253 c.i. (4146) 8 Cylinder � (L32)
3. Transmission: 3 Speed Trimatic Automatic Transmission � (M40)
4. Axle: 3.36:1 Banjo Type (GV4)
5. Paint � Cotillion White
6. Trim 63V � Gazelle Vinyl
7. L32 - 253 V8
8. Power Steering
9. Brakes: Disc/Drum
Most Sandmans had black interior with 4 speeds, so to find an auto with brown interior is quite rare.
On initial inspection of the car, found the body to be almost rust free. Being an inland Sandman its whole life was quite rare indeed as most were either modified or rusted out coastal cars.
On delivery vehicle had fresh paint, brakes & exhaust done.
The following was commenced to have the car finished in time for the 2008 Van Nationals at Port MacDonnel, S.A. at Easter.
Full rebuild of front suspension. This include the following �
1. Complete dismantle of components
2. Sandblasting
3. Repainting
4. Replacement of all ball joints, tie rod ends, springs & bushes.
5. Engine on inspection which was found to be non-original, was in bad shape. A replacement 1978 253 V8 was installed. Motor had been fully rebuilt which is balanced & blueprinted, with a Elderbrock inlet manifold & brand new Elderbrock 500cfm carburettor for performance purposes, (original manifold & two barrel carburettor have been retained for originality). Electronic ignition was also fitted.
6. Transmission & 3.36 differential were found to be in need of repair so were rebuilt as well.
7. Interior was non existent, so the following was commenced �
a. Dash installation with HZ GTS Facia fitted (HJ GTS facia in good condition unable to find).
b. Fully ordered Gazelle vinyl interior from Eastern Upholsters in Melbourne, which included, seat covers, carpet, door trims, kick panels & full roof headlining (still awaiting). Fitment of period correct radio.
8. Rear section was prepped & painted.
9. Lowering of van 2 inches all round.
Sandman was completed to where it is today in Mar 2008 (not bad for 6 weeks work). Only large remaining part of the Van to do is the fitment of the full length roof lining & seatbelts plus other minor things.
This Sandman has been a labour of love & in time will be finished.
Apart from the painting aspect of things & some minor help from my mechanic 90% of the work I did myself.
I must add that not wanting to spend up to $3000 on a new motor Heath (Allan) from the forum sold me his old 253 out of his Torrie. He informed me the motor had only done 28,000kms since its rebuild but that it had been done some years ago, but was nothing wrong with it. Having met Allan before & finding him to be a descent & down to earth bloke, bought the motor with a Elderbrock Performer inlet manifold & electronic distributor for $400. Well what a great buy that turned out to be. Car was finished at 7.30 pm thursday before Easter. Was concerned as I didn't have any time to clock up reliabilty km's prior for a 7 am leave the next morning. Good Friday left Albury/Wodonga & drove to Torquay (gateway to the Great Ocean Road) stayed the night then off to Mt Gambier for the 2008 Van Nationals for 3 days then the return trip home (2000 kms all up). Well the car didn't miss a beat & if you ever get the chance drive "The Great Ocean Road" as it's bloody spectacular.
I have included some photos of the rebuild & the trip for you all to see. Sorry for the draw out story. Tried to condense it as much as possible.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by hux454, 30 March 2008 - 02:43 PM.

#2 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

Mint! Looks awesome. Nice job. :)

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

I think this is the most I've ever drooled over a white car. Amazing

#4 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:17 PM

Sensational.

Sandman was the first Holden I ever dreamed about...
....yellow of course!!

That interior looks better than factory.

Nice work. No mirror ball?

- Leakey

#5 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:25 PM

Explains a lot Glenn. Looks like the plates off the Torry are now attached to the van. Still got the SLR?

Great looking car mate, always wanted a Sandman ute..I think you will find that interior is Doeskin, Gazelle was more grey. 63V Doeskin, 64V Gazelle.

Talk soon.

#6 _hux454_

_hux454_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

Struth,
Big boo boo. Meant to say Herne ref the motor not Heath, sorry about that Allan.
Gerry ref the interior plates say 64V (even though I stated 63V above). Rang Garry from Eastern Upholsters , gave him the trim code form the compliance plate & that's what he supplied.

Edited by hux454, 30 March 2008 - 03:33 PM.

#7 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:35 PM

well well well, we have been a busy boy. how nice is that sandman. they always look good. how does it drive.

cheers

#8 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

LOVE IT, SANDMANS LOOK AWESOME :spoton: :spoton: :spoton:
Mate you should show some restoration pics

Edited by Bart, 30 March 2008 - 03:46 PM.

#9 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

Struth,
Big boo boo. Meant to say Herne ref the motor not Heath, sorry about that Allan.
Gerry ref the interior plates say 64V (even though I stated 63V above). Rang Garry from Eastern Upholsters , gave him the trim code form the compliance plate & that's what he supplied.

LOL Hux, I did read that but thought nothing of it :) It's only a name after all lol

Mate I am so pleased for you and am glad you found the engine to be as stated.
The sale helped you and also helped finalise payment for my 355 with Struggler.

That car looks absolutely awesome and you did the engine proud.

Hope to see you soon
Alan

#10 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

looks absaloutly fantastic i hope to have one of these 1day wanted 1 before i got the torry but they were alot more expensive

#11 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:02 PM

Very nice! Top job! :spoton:

#12 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:54 PM

First class! :spoton:

#13 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:02 PM

That is shit hot - brings back a lot of good memories!!!!! :spoton:

#14 _torry72_

_torry72_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:17 PM

Looks awsome mate.Nice to see it hasn't had any side windows cut into it.Hope my XU 1 turns ou as good. :spoton:

#15 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

Great looking car well done

#16 _ronaldoredsox_

_ronaldoredsox_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

Awesome. Congratulations. Absolutely stunning.

#17 _hux454_

_hux454_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for the kind words. To answer questions, the van runs great, didn't miss a beat the whole trip except for -
1. Lowered the back 2 inches so when it was fully loaded for the trip the exhaust hit the diff on any big bumps in the road. Will put air shocks in it to fix any future problems. Better than taking out the lowering blocks every time.
2. Plates are off the Torana. When to start it the other day after not starting it for 3 months the fuel pump shit itself. Will fix this week. Torana I have taken off the road for the time being & let the rego run out as I have 4 cars & it gets driven very little at the moment. Might have to sell it.
3. Best thing I did was put the brand new Elderbrock 500 cfm carby on it. The quadrajet Heath supplied we rebuilt & pulled apart 3 times. Bloody thing kept flooding with fuel leaking onto the manifold. Float kept sticking. After we put the new carby on though, shit it made a big difference even though it cost $470.
4. Strange thing happened when I got back from the big road trip. Driven 2,000kms no worries when 3 days after I got back I gave it a big wash & took the P'van to the servo to fill it up. As I started it up & drove about 1 foot the whole front drivers front suspension dropped big time. Problem - nut off the lower ball joint came off. As I did the whole front suspension rebuild with the guidance from my mechanic using his workshop I rang him to ask why? He couldn't believe it. The nuts have nylon bushes so it's almost impossilbe for them to come loose especially when thay are new & yes we did check every nut & bolt before completion . What spun me out was after 2,000kms & at crawling speed it let loose. What would have happened if it happened when I was cruising along the highway at 100 km/h?
Whole exerise working 8 hrs a day 6 out 8 days for 6 weeks to finish it out so I could take it to the Van Nationals was a bloody big headache. I had constant problems & hurdles I had to cross. If I went thru them all I'd be here for ever. Not that I'm complaining it was an exercise I learn't a hell of a lot from. Wish my time constraints weren't as severe as it would have been a whole lot stressful. Struth I learnt a lot though. Tell you this but I want be EVER doing the same job in such a small amout of time. Spew'in I didn't take some "before shots" of the interior & underneath to show.
Might when I get the time let you know about the problems I had when I bought the car from the owner (what an asshole).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by hux454, 30 March 2008 - 07:40 PM.

#18 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:39 PM

Hux I dunno what you have going with Heath but you did it again lol

PMSL

Herne

#19 _hux454_

_hux454_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

Struth & I've never met the bloke. Apologise again mate - Sunday night.

#20 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:16 PM

hahahaha nice to know I'm being thought about :rolleyes:

#21 hainzy

hainzy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:35 PM

Mate thats absolutely brilliant. Nice work. I too was lucky enough to score an inland rust free windowless sandy. Carribean turquoise HZ with a covert interior. Pretty much finished the interior and just saving funds for the spray job. Good on ya! Great to see another one back on the road.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 _hux454_

_hux454_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

Good on ya Hainzy. Keep with it, it'll all be worth it. Is it a Sandman?

#23 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

Hi Glenn,

awesome looking van cant wait to check it out. Good read too. Cant believe you will sell the 5000. cheers

#24 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

Looks very nice. I must have missed something though, if it's a HJ why is it done like a HX? And looking at your instruments you do have HJ gauges there, HZ are yellow needle

#25 _hux454_

_hux454_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

Well done REDA9X. I was waiting for someone to pick that up. I bought the van with the HX decals. Bloke I bought it off said they looked nicer. I also prefer them but for originality I will be removing them & putting the correct ones on which I will be doing in the near future. HJ & HX needles on the dash are white so at least that's right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users