_lurkin308_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:26 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#27 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:27 PM

A lot of hard work went into it obviously, but I reckon its great you can do the swap and still run so close to the tonner, testament to your setup. So just as much fun, just as quick and with the bonus of keeping your kids happy! Well done.

#28 _mumbo_

_mumbo_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

Leave the white roof and fit rear venetians (sleeper) :spoton:

#29 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:48 PM

i too like the white roof. :spoton:

#30 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

Love the HQ but as above leave the vinyl and add venetians...ZZZZZZZZ....

#31 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:37 AM

OK, here is a bit of an update.......

I had a spare Powerglide lying around so fitted it with a PTC valvebody and turbo pattern input shaft as well as a couple of seals and a deep pan. It already had a recent overhaul so I'm taking my chances it will be OK. I also got a new driveshaft made from scratch. Got it all together a few weeks ago and took it out to the ACT Torana Club dyno day. Unfortunately I was less than impressed with the dyno operator and took the car back home without even getting near the rollers.

Last weekend there was another dyno comp at Gentech here in the ACT and I trundled out there for a laugh. No problem with the operators here (I know them fairly well) and there were heaps of grunters there. A couple of F6 Typhoons ran over 400RwKw's !!!!!! Got the old 'Q on the rollers and punched out 279.6 RwKw's which I was quite happy with. It definately opened a few eyes amongst the modern car brigade.

I also noted what looked like a buckled rim on the LHR. Got the car home and it turns out the axle was twisted so badly it bent !! It had twisted almost a full rotation, and this with only a few passes !!! I hope it was just a poor quality axle. It has been replaced and I'll see how it goes.

I am now hoping to get back to WSID next week for a few more runs, will keep you posted.

Posted Image

Edited by Struggler, 28 May 2008 - 09:40 AM.

#32 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

nice tidy car, love the white roof...

#33 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:25 AM

Nice result Struggler, must be some beast, first a bent tailshaft and now an axle.
Nice figures too from the dyno, very impressive, 10+second passes would appear to be just around the corner :)

Pity you couldn't have got it on the Torana Clubs dyno run but I saw for myself why when at least one poor Torana was tortured unnecessarily. Poor thing was given a number of pass but the problem was on each pass the thing ran leaner and leaner to the extent where the engine was at risk.
It would have nice to have impressed the guys there though :)

On another note:
I will phone you later in the week when we can arrange the purchase of my detailed carby.

Cheers
Herne

#34 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:53 PM

the axle was twisted so badly it bent !! It had twisted almost a full rotation

Not a bad effort twisting it a full circle! I've heard twisting a spline or two is normal but that is just unreal - I thought it would have snapped before it went that far!

#35 Growla

Growla

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Car:LX SL/R LS1 conversion completed July 2010

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

I was there when hq went on the dyno.... well done! That car created alot of interest. I don't think poeple expected a carby engine to put down those types of numbers and such a flat power curve.
cheers
Mark

#36 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

Your right...... the power curve was really flat compared to the peaky curves most of the other vehicles had, also the power dropped off a LOT slower than anything else.

#37 _UDLOSE_

_UDLOSE_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:57 AM

Wow, you gotta be happy with that :clap:

Looking forward to seeing this beast at WSID again soon, make sure u post when your going down.

I just twisted a pair of axels in my VK, no where near that bad though! Can u get a pic of the axels I'd love to see the carnage! :D

Cheers
Marty

#38 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:15 PM

Just don't make it next week Andrew as i will not be Sydney,
maybe the 2nd week of the month as i will bring my car out
for a run or 2.

cheers Keith

#39 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:29 PM

Just another quick update.....

As you would know if you read the WSID 25.06.08 thread, with the new 'Glide the Prem ran a string of 11.1's at 119/120 MPH with no other changes. The old 'Glide must have been a bit sad !!

A few members saw the Prem on eBay last week, I am looking at going a bit quicker and I also have some unfinished business in the burnout world and I felt guilty (again !!) with this car. No reasonable offers were forthcoming so I'm hanging on to it. I have another change to make that may push me into the tens, or may slow me down. From there we'll see. :D

I'll keep you updated..........

#40 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:23 AM

Surprised nobody bought it...a tough sleeper that is nearly into the 10's for 15k.

#41 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:54 PM

Get out the grinder struggler!!

Sounds like it's going to be a whole lotta fun regardless!

#42 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

I guess its time for another update.......

I have spent some time over the last couple of weeks making some changes. Car has been lowered, diff swapped for a welded 3.08 ratio and new fuel system fitted. Now has a fuel cell, 2x -8 into a -10 filter and -10 to the mechanical fuel pump (a Racepump from the US). An old speedway carb was purchased and the tank filled with Methanol. The first drive was exciting to say the least. A quick trip to the dyno to check mixtures (they were fine and I didn't change a thing) and off to WSID I went to smoke some tyre. I only entered in the burnouts as I wanted to make sure everything worked OK. No problems at all except for some paint damage to the quarters, also for some reason the car cutout midway through the burnout but restarted within 10 sec. Got it home and the next day discovered the battery hold down had broken and the battery was on its side, acid running out everywhere - must have swung it around a bit too quick!!! A quick washdown with Bicarb of soda and some new paint, a new battery and hold down and all was well.

Loaded it up and off to the South Coast Nationals we went. Had a bit of a laugh in the driving events and had another go at the burnouts. Car runs perfect on the Methanol and has heaps more torque. It has no problems smoking tyre in top gear at 6000rpm and can destroy a pair of new 205/65R15's in just over 60 sec without the fans even switching on. The only problem is the driver !!! I'm having a few problems keeping up with it. Must be getting old. It swings around so quick with the tyre speed it now has that I have trouble controlling it :)

Anyway I hope to get up to WSID for the Burnout Bonanza next month and hopefully the State of Origin burnouts the month after that. I have no dreams of following a burnout career, just want to have some fun in the old girl. After that I will swap the suspension and gearing back to the strip friendly setup and hopefully run a ten. Then I guess its rebuild time and a 6 point cage.

Posted Image

#43 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

Struggler, top skid on the weekend!! Methonol, how much are you guys paying for a drum????

#44 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Bloody awesome update Andrew!

Hope to see you out there again soon one day mate!

#45 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

WOW mate, excuse the pun but that things really smokin em ;) Good to hear that it's all going as planned.

The 10 bolt Salisbury is obviously tougher than many here think.

Good work Struggler.

I don't suppose you are heading up to Toranafest for a look are you? Or considered the Harry Firth Dinner?

Cheers
Alan

#46 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:40 AM

Struggler, top skid on the weekend!! Methonol, how much are you guys paying for a drum????

Thanks !! As for the Methanol, I initially got a couple of 20L drums from Rocket at $55ea. I then tried to get some locally but the 2 suppliers here wouldn't answer their phone or return my messages so I drove back to Sydney (was going to WSID anyway) and got a 205L for $245 from here..... http://www.f2rtech.com/methanol.html

#47 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:41 AM

Bloody awesome update Andrew!

Hope to see you out there again soon one day mate!

Thanks Tiny, don't worry, I'll be out there !!!

#48 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:45 AM

WOW mate, excuse the pun but that things really smokin em ;) Good to hear that it's all going as planned.

The 10 bolt Salisbury is obviously tougher than many here think.

Good work Struggler.

I don't suppose you are heading up to Toranafest for a look are you? Or considered the Harry Firth Dinner?

Cheers
Alan

Thanks Alan.

Yes, a lot of people stick their head under the car and ask about the Salisbury. No problems since I replaced the first axle, it must have been a weak one.

Not going to Toranafest or the dinner sorry, I have ignored the work I've got here for too long as it is !!

#49 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:38 PM

Time for another update, the HQ Premier has been released and part of the deal included a drag race car. Trades were as rollers so the 'Q's engine and gearbox will be fitted to the "non GMH" racer. New exhaust and other systems will need to be fabricated to get the new vehicle track worthy so it will take a while but I'll be back !!!

#50 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:56 PM

bloody cortinas...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users