Rare Spares Door Seals

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

All door seals at the time of purchase where the best available, when a new product comes out that is new and improved that does not automatically mean you can exchange your old product for a new one that is the case here. This is the 4th improvement we have made to these seals over the years only this time we had a camera and put it on the net.

#27 _nunganunga_

_nunganunga_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:33 PM

If the ones I bought early this year has had four improvements, I would hate to see the old ones!

The guy at my local rare spares hadnt heard of any improved seal. He assured me that no improved seal exists. I put a bit more pressure on him and after a phone call, tells me there is a new seal after all. So after ordering, waiting for weeks, phone calls, etc, I go home with a pair of new seals.

This is where the trouble and swearing begins. The rubber was way too long and had to be trimmed and the ends glued to form a continous loop. The plastic pins did not line up with the holes in one location, so I had to make new holes in the rubber and move the clips. The clips did not work very well and damaged very easily. The trim is falling off in many places.

Overall a very cheap and nasty product. Rare spares needs to do better quality control. I would not normally sling this kind of crap, but when I see you good sorting yourself all over you tube, I feel it is necesary for my experience to be known.

I find myself unable to go back to the store, what is the point if this is the best you have got?

#28 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

If the ones I bought early this year has had four improvements, I would hate to see the old ones!

The guy at my local rare spares hadnt heard of any improved seal. He assured me that no improved seal exists. I put a bit more pressure on him and after a phone call, tells me there is a new seal after all. So after ordering, waiting for weeks, phone calls, etc, I go home with a pair of new seals.

This is where the trouble and swearing begins. The rubber was way too long and had to be trimmed and the ends glued to form a continous loop. The plastic pins did not line up with the holes in one location, so I had to make new holes in the rubber and move the clips. The clips did not work very well and damaged very easily. The trim is falling off in many places.

Overall a very cheap and nasty product. Rare spares needs to do better quality control. I would not normally sling this kind of crap, but when I see you good sorting yourself all over you tube, I feel it is necesary for my experience to be known.

I find myself unable to go back to the store, what is the point if this is the best you have got?

Nunganunga

I have answered this in point form and also asked some questions too try and isolated the problem

��If the ones I bought early this year has had four improvements, I would hate to see the old ones!��

We have not had any front ones this year

��The guy at my local rare spares hadnt heard of any improved seal. He assured me that no improved seal exists. I put a bit more pressure on him and after a phone call, tells me there is a new seal after all. So after ordering, waiting for weeks, phone calls, etc, I go home with a pair of new seals.��

I am very interested in where you purchased the seal (which local Rare Spares) it does not sound right that you waited weeks to get some when we had no stock to supply .

��This is where the trouble and swearing begins. The rubber was way too long and had to be trimmed and the ends glued to form a continous loop. The plastic pins did not line up with the holes in one location, so I had to make new holes in the rubber and move the clips. The clips did not work very well and damaged very easily. The trim is falling off in many places.��

I must say I am unable to explain why the rubber was too long and had to be cut and glued as well as moving the clips, all I can think of is you got a coupe one instead of a sedan one can you please clarify if you have a sedan or coupe . As for the trim I do not understand what you mean by trim can you explain.

��Overall a very cheap and nasty product. Rare spares needs to do better quality control. I would not normally sling this kind of crap, but when I see you good sorting yourself all over you tube, I feel it is necesary for my experience to be known.��

I understand what you say, we do strive for quality and always listen to our customers can you get back to me with answers to the questions I have asked so I can try and sort this out.

��I find myself unable to go back to the store, what is the point if this is the best you have got?��

There is every point in going back to the store where you purchased it from if it is indeed faulty and had to be cut and joined because this is not the best we have this defiantly sounds like a faulty product. I was referring to the hardness when talking about the best we have not the length or clip spacing.

Les

#29 _nunganunga_

_nunganunga_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:14 PM

Les,

I wont post the name of the store on here, the problem lays with, I belive, the distribution of a poor product.

The rubber seal or trim as I called it, are falling off due to the inability of the plastic pins to clip into the holes in the door. The little plastic serrations are crap.

I ordered coupe door seals and I belive I have coupe door seals.

Okay, I will go back to the store in the next week or two, show them the seal and post my results here.

Nunga...

#30 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

Les,

I wont post the name of the store on here, the problem lays with, I belive, the distribution of a poor product.

The rubber seal or trim as I called it, are falling off due to the inability of the plastic pins to clip into the holes in the door. The little plastic serrations are crap.

I ordered coupe door seals and I belive I have coupe door seals.

Okay, I will go back to the store in the next week or two, show them the seal and post my results here.

Nunga...

Nunga
If you do not want to post the store here you could PM me or send me the seal to look at.
Les

#31 _nunganunga_

_nunganunga_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

Les,

I can send you the seal to look at if you think it will help. Please PM where you want it sent.

Nunga...

#32 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:16 PM

When are the new seals avalible

im getting desperate ?

#33 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:00 PM

When are the new seals avalible

im getting desperate ?

Our computer does not give a date but I would hope to have stock within 6 weeks

#34 _boynuz_

_boynuz_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:52 AM

Hi Les

Would be good if they use a different part number or marking to identify the new rubber from the old.

Cheers

#35 _nunganunga_

_nunganunga_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

I sent both door seals for you to look at. You should get them this week. Let me know what you think after you have a look at them please.

#36 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:39 PM

Les,

I can send you the seal to look at if you think it will help. Please PM where you want it sent.

Nunga...

Nunga
You
have a PM
Les

#37 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

Les if we are contemplating buying a set of the new seals how do we know we are not getting old stock that hasn,t had the improvements made.
Cheers Dave

#38 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

Les if we are contemplating buying a set of the new seals how do we know we are not getting old stock that hasn,t had the improvements made.
Cheers Dave

Dave.
When buying them ask when the Rare Spares Distributor when they bought them if it was last Month then they are new
Les

#39 _nunganunga_

_nunganunga_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

Les

The new replacement seals arrived today. I will have a play on the weekend and let you know how they fit. Thank you for your service and concern. Good aftersales is rare these days.

Nunga

#40 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

and how were they?
M.

#41 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

I fitted the new Rare Spares door seal to my drivers side door yesterday, very happy with the product. Thanks Rares for getting it right I was stoked with the fit and the way the door now closes.
Cheers Dave

#42 _luv the uc_

_luv the uc_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

A few years ago I bought an LC Torana that had old style door seals fitted after a respray in 2000.

Doors needed to be slammed, clips would break, seal would tear around the clip holes, seal would not stay in the window frame channel, all the usual problems!

After much procrastination and research I finally bit the bullet yesterday and purchased 2 front seals to test (still hesitant to buy the full set in one go)

I must say I am very pleased with the purchase.

First look, seal is now 2 piece made from differant rubber, softer foam type seal section and harder rubber type spine (where the clips go in and the bit that inserts in the channel) Seal section is also smaller and a slightly differant profile to the old style.

Started on the pass side front door (the worst of the doors) removed old seal, (was glued in the "channel" so it was time consuming) and checked door for closing with no seal - still bounced! Adjusted the striker on the body and got a perfect close - everytime.

Tip for ajusting the striker - get in the car, wind down the window and pull up on the door opener (this allows the wheel to freewheel) now slowly pull the door closed, door should close without banging, grinding, lifting or lowering the door. If it doesnt adjust the striker on the body.

Found the 3 clips closest together and started to install, some holes were not 100% bit it did not make too much differance, seal found where it wanted to be.

Up around the window frame the seal was taught, this really helped it plant in tight, with the new rubber spine the seal wanted to go in and stay there, a little soapy water helped and I found this quick and easy.

I trimmed the ends to size and glued them in place with Loctite424 (hard to bond rubber type)

Drivers door was next, absolutely no issues. Very happy with the end result.

Door seal are not glued to the door in any other place and is sitting perfectly.

At a guess, I think it took less than 10 min per door. A bit of rubber magic, closed the door and ensured the seal was sitting in the correct spot (using a flat piece of plastic)  and left it overnight. I have every confidence now and will be doing the other 2 doors next weekend.

Car has a lot less wind noise and should be awsome after I do the rear seals and the flipper window rubbers.

I think before people disregard rares seals they need ensure their door is adjusted properly first.

Thanks Rares for develping and improving the products you sell.

#43 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up Steve. I recently bought a new Rares 2 door RH seal for the LJ, haven't gotten around to installing it yet but your experience is comforting that my door will close better with the new seal than with the earlier type Rares seal that is currently on it.

SA LAAAAAM. Sound familiar???

Thanks and Cheers

Dave.

#44 _abtorana_

_abtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

just recently fitted (early feb) new door seals and found them to be excellent, yes hard to shut at first but just left them shut for a week and all seems good,very happy

now i just have to wait for the front screen seal to arrive as it was missing from the kit along with the locking strip fr & rear, and there telling me end of march ???

#45 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

Just fitted the new Rares RH door seal to the LJ. Still a little hard to close but here's hoping Adams' ^^ (abtorana) experience is the norm, certainly heaps better than the other seal that has been on the car since 1996.

Decided I'll also replace the L.H door seal even though it hasn't really been a problem..

Cheers

Dave.

#46 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Just to add to the happiness about the new door seals ,I replaced the ones on my XU last week and as said above they are chork and cheese to the old ones.

I can have my door about 2 inches away from the door jam now and give it a lite push and it shuts beautifully.

I also replace my boot rubber as well and same result, it shuts nice.

Thank you Rares you have one very very customer.

:D

#47 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

Just to add to the happiness about the new door seals ,I replaced the ones on my XU last week and as said above they are chork and cheese to the old ones.

I can have my door about 2 inches away from the door jam now and give it a lite push and it shuts beautifully.

I also replace my boot rubber as well and same result, it shuts nice.

Thank you Rares you have one very very customer.

:D

Happy Customer I meant to say. :D

#48 LJGTR6

LJGTR6

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:1977 LX SL 4 Door and 1973 LJ 2 Door
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

This is encouraging news.
I still have to slam mine so hard some times the ash trays in the door come half way out.
Might have to invest in a new set.

#49 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Hi ....thinking of replacing the seals on my LC GTR front doors.

Went and had a chat with the local Rares guys today , who had them in stock......but had 1/13 on the sticker on the bag.

Thanks to this forum, I didn't buy them....asked them if they could order some post 6/13 ones?.......he advised the 1/13 were the improved ones....but maybe Rares had further improved them??,....wasn't sure.....so I said I'd get back  to him once I'd confirmed the "post 6/13" idea?

Is that correct....that the June 13 onwards are the good ones?

Thanks

#50 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

Col, I've got the 16-01-13 manufacture date seal, they are the improved seals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users