Drag Cars

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 _SIR350_

_SIR350_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

Hey there i have a question to the guys running around the 10-11sec times. I was just curious as to how much it will cost to build a engine run these sort of numbers. Id love to have a car that will punch out those times but im not to sure if my wallet agrees. Thanks for your help

#2 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

I know people who have spent 10 grand and people who have spent 25 grand it all depends on your motor, car etc really its to hard to give a price untill you actually do it

#3 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

It depends how you want to do it?

EFI or carb, holden or chev, 6 cyl or V8.

#4 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:24 PM

When asking an engine builder this they normally answer with, "perfomance costs money, how fast do you want to spend".

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:28 PM

All above make a very good point, work out how much you can spend then see how fast you can go.

#6 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:06 PM

Any engine builder can build you a 10 second engine but
you have to have the gearbox,diff etc.

cheers Keith

#7 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:37 PM

As above,,

The engine will cost $XX,XXX.XX
transmission & converter $XXXX.XX
Fuel sytem, tailshaft, diff assy, suspension, exhaust, tyres, etc etc

Craig

#8 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:11 PM

add to the price chassis strengthening to run fast safely, and a rollcage to run 10s

#9 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:24 PM

I have to agree with everything stated above.

The engine is only half of it. Convertor, trans and diff as well as fuel system are as vital. 10-11 secs really comes down to an effective combo more than the engine. Yes you can run fast on a budget but it still costs, particularly if starting from scratch.

#10 _ronaldoredsox_

_ronaldoredsox_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:25 PM

And whatever you work out is going to cost, add half again. Unforeseen problems, opportunities, stuff you just didn't or couldn't allow for. Expensive.

#11 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

Dont forget if you want to run a 10 you will need a cage, harness, certain helmet, different drag liscence, plus a few other safety items. Car also needs a yearly tech inspection.

My mate has a VK that went 10.90s just before it was sold , It owed him around 50k and thats with alot of work done at mates rates etc.

The other thing is if you build a big dollar engine you need to spend money to get good quality parts to work with it( converter, extractors, carby, ignition system, Diff gears, gearbox, tailshaft) and it all has to work together as a package to get the magic numbers

#12 _OLC383_

_OLC383_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:34 PM

If you think you can build a 10 second engine on the cheap you can but it will cost you more like $100,000.00 buy the time you rebuild it 10 times due to the fact you are using cheap & nasty parts, spend the money with the right people in the trade & use the good brand parts to start with & you'll find that the engine will last you a lot longer & you'll feel better for it, also gearbox, convertor size & diff set up will play a big part as well

#13 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:52 PM

Q . how expensive is it ???

A. as much as you want to spend , development and the desire to go quicker can be an open cheque book

in reality set a budget and stick to it !!!

#14 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:19 AM

SIR350 what times u pulling now?

#15 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:21 AM

You could always buy someone elses baby for 30k and have a 10 second car... Probably the cheapest way to do it if you just want to go fast.

#16 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

in reality set a budget and stick to it !!!

Then triple it ....... to fix all the stuff ups :rolleyes:

#17 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:12 PM

Holden or Chev SIR350?
Street Machine May 08 (page 132) was pretty interesting. Bob Kotmel states "there are some real bargains available, like the Scott Schafiroff Ultra Street 434-cube small-blocks for $9350 US, with another $1500 to land them here. You can't buy the parts here for that money....."
A few specs are listed and the article goes on to say that they make 595hp.

www.shafiroff.com

Could be an option if you've got the rest of the car to suit. Legality would be an issue though, due to the size of the engine.

#18 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:19 PM

Bob Kotmel states "there are some real bargains available, like the Scott Schafiroff Ultra Street 434-cube small-blocks for $9350 US, with another $1500 to land them here.

Thats too cheap. The last Shaffiroff engine I heard about coming over was $3600 for freight, plus GST etc. Ends up a lot more than $1500.

#19 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:32 PM

http://www.shafiroff.com/shipping.pdf

$1850, then you get slugged with gst and probably some more expences. i've been looking at them

#20 _Lostit_

_Lostit_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:49 AM

If read the small writing less carb, ignition and thats the basic motor with the average internals... add all the good bits and you wont get much change of $20K to have a good reliable SBC 10sec motor, thats not counting trans, diff, chassis, etc .

Best advise which has been stated alrdy.. buy a car where someone is getting married, divorced,dead, etc and they have put in a shitload of money into it alrdy .

#21 _BlownOutlaw_

_BlownOutlaw_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:29 PM

I think the main influence as to running good numbers with less cost is weight.
When you say drag car... do you want a 'drag car' or a street drag car ?
The lighter an object the quicker you can push it with less effort.
The cheapest way to run 11 or 10s is to have a real drag car thats not a road car. Remove anything not required thats extra weight. Make plastic windows, remove the window winders etc fibreglass panels. Then you need less power to move it, making engine costs cheaper.
I have some friends that have an LJ 2 door drag car that runs like 9.2 seconds with a 202 6cyl turbo.
A street car will be, heavier, more expensive and harder to work with/on. Street cars tend to be a compromise, eg rear end gearing and stall speed etc, and this makes it harder again to reach your objective.
Its really an open ended question with many variables that will influence the answer.

#22 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:43 AM

Perfectly stated :clap:

I think the main influence as to running good numbers with less cost is weight.
When you say drag car... do you want a 'drag car' or a street drag car ?
The lighter an object the quicker you can push it with less effort.
The cheapest way to run 11 or 10s is to have a real drag car thats not a road car. Remove anything not required thats extra weight. Make plastic windows, remove the window winders etc fibreglass panels. Then you need less power to move it, making engine costs cheaper.
I have some friends that have an LJ 2 door drag car that runs like 9.2 seconds with a 202 6cyl turbo.
A street car will be, heavier, more expensive and harder to work with/on. Street cars tend to be a compromise, eg rear end gearing and stall speed etc, and this makes it harder again to reach your objective.
Its really an open ended question with many variables that will influence the answer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users