7 replies to this topic

#1 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:25 PM

Hey Guys, I finally got my motor and gearbox in last sunday after all the usually problems and modifications that have to be made, even though nothing has changed, it's just the way it goes. I've bolted evertything up, and it's all smick, when time comes to find oil pressure it goes missing. I did change the oil pump to a high volume pump off my old motor which i primed when i put it on, but that was about 2 months ago.

I took the plugs out and wound it for ages, nothing, took the wire off the sender and touched an earth. Guage is fine. Im guessing the sender is fina as it hasn't changed since the motor was pulled out. I took the sender out and forced oil though the oil pressure sensor hole. Wound it again, definately no oil pressure.

I started the motor up, let it run for about 10 seconds and it didn't get pressure so I switched it off.

Yes it has oil in it, and it has a pickup in the sump, it's not blocked. I had to go away to tafe for the week so i'll have a play with it tomorrow, and try a few little tricks.

Has anyone else had muchtrouble getting oil pressure????

Any Ideas?

Cheers

Les

#2 _vtss_

_vtss_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:47 PM

try taking oil sender off use a clear hose in place of oil switch and conect to pvc vaule hose start engine for a few seconds you should see oil sucked up in the hose if you see that then put oil switch back on then all is primed and should be fine l've had that before on 308

Edited by vtss, 17 February 2006 - 09:54 PM.

#3 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:19 PM

Remove the oil pump, pack grease in between the gears. fill the whole thing with oil, make sure the filter is full, try again. Don't start that engine again until you have oil pressure!
Holden V8's often take a bit of mucking around to get oil pressure.

#4 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:22 PM

just put vaseline in the oil pump gear that will bring the oil presure up when you turn the motor over.

#5 _jdss57_

_jdss57_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:33 PM

try a 50/50 mix of vaseline and engine oil in between the gears. I try and steer clear of grease because it won't melt in like vaseline. you wont need much, turn the pump with long nose pliers while feeding some of the mix between the gears with a screwdriver, so that when you turn the pump you can hear the mix slushing through the gears. i have built quite a few of the holden 8's and have never had a problem with this way. also fill your filter up if you havent already done so. they have always picked up for me straight away... good luck with it.

#6 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:45 PM

Just pour some oil in through the sender hole might take a while but at least the gears will be oiled well and start sucking oil.

#7 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:11 PM

Came home Saturday afternoon, thought i'l l give it a quick wind before i take the filter back off and muck around, Wound for about 3 seconds and up it popped, Started motor and oil pressure went straight up to 40 psi. Too nice i though, it's just one of those things i guess.

Thanks guys

Les

#8 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:36 PM

Sounds like your first 10 seconds was filling the oil filter.

Another happy ending :D

RACV MAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users