SLR/GTS mirrors?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _sik66_

_sik66_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:22 AM

Hi,just wondering if you can safely remove the mirror out of a gts/slr mirror assembly....so that i can paint the housing......is there any little tricks or just apply a little more pressure?....i dont wanna break em!!......any advice appreciated....cheers.

#2 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:31 AM

about the only way I know is to try and cut the mirror off the holder with a long packing knife... like from the $2 shop.

#3 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:40 AM

To the best of my knowledge theyre glued in.. I know i broke mine when the IDIOT painter painted teh mirror and everything with 2 pac paint.

Luckily i was able to make replacement mirrors and glue them in myself.

I'd be making sure you mask the HELL out of the mirror glass.. lots of layers of masking tape and try to get around the edges od the glass too.

best of luck.

#4 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:33 AM

They can actualy be pulled out, The mirror glass is glued onto a ball joint, use a large flat blade screw driver and with a bit of effort (carfull you dont brake glass) you can pop the ball joint off.. It has 2 big washer type things that act as springs to keep the pressure on the balljoint so the mirror sits in position... My panal beater showed me, mind you i tried and broke it.. He can do it easy the cheaker basted..

John

#5 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:46 AM

this same question was on the old forums and from memery either a heat gun or hairdryer was suggested to heat up the glue to soften it.

#6 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:19 PM

Remember if you do break a mirror glass they are cheaply? replaceable from Rare Spares for around $22.00 ea.
The glass when replacing is held in by double sides tape (this is supplied by Rare Spares and comes in the package with a new glass).

One trick to removing the glass and leaving the ball connector inside is to try a heat gun on the glass. As stated above by ChiaLX.

The only problems that arise are when the ball joint wears out and no longer holds the glass in place and I have worked out a remedy for that too :)

Finally when you do fit a new glass it is only then that you realise how crappy your old one was.

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 18 February 2006 - 12:25 PM.

#7 _sik66_

_sik66_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:28 PM

Cool,thanks for the tips guys......think i leave the ball joint bit in there and try to remove the mirror....sounds the easiest way......cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users