I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:06 PM

Hey all, I've been looking at the Workshop Manuals and they don't seem to help too much...

Basically, any tips on removing the front and rear windows without damaging the seals if possible. From memory the Windscreen is strengthened and the rear window isn't.

Any advice/tips?

I don't intend of fracturing the glass or cutting the rubber.

Edited by Heath, 18 February 2006 - 09:08 PM.

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:28 PM

yeah mate, lean back and put your feet against the screen, get a knife or levering device under the rubber from the inside while putting pressure on the glass. just jimmy with it for a while and don't put any pressure next to any cracks.

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:34 PM

Sounds easy.... if I had seats, lol!

I'll manage something tomorrow. Any advice for 'jimmy'ing around the A pillars? looks like a pain in the arse because I've got no access there.

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:37 PM

yeah it's a bitch of a job. just experiment with it and see what works. don't get rough with it or you will end up wearing bits of glass.

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:53 PM

I'd tell you how from personal experience, but prolly won't help much. We ended up with a big crack in BMXer's. Once one crack, what the hell did a few more thousand cracks matter. I think patience is the key, not too much pressure, and slowly easing the rubber from the sill with screwdrivers etc.

Back screen is dead easy, almost comes out by itself, although that is toughened. Most front screens (very rare that the original would still be in) are laminated.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 18 February 2006 - 09:54 PM.

#6 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:01 PM

If the front screen is laminated there is every likelyhod it will crack, they dont take kindly to being pushed or bent. Toughened glass is easy with a little patience. You have to take out the centre locking strip before you start. Work around the rubber inside the car and break the seal with your fingers or a lever of some sort.

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:23 PM

My rear screen came out nice and easy and in one piece. Same couldn't be said for the front screen. But I wasn't going to re-use it anyway, so no loss.

#8 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:30 AM

It is probably a rare thing to stuff the rubber but as others have said the front screen if laninated is another story.
All i can say is lots a patience and heat. It tends to come out easier when it is hot, so try and do it on a really hot day when the sun has been shining on it.
Another option might be if you really want the screen get a few quotes to get it taken out by a windscreen installer. they have the right tools and generally make it look easy.
good luck
Mick

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:48 AM

A windscreen installer is out of the question because the car has no engine, and even if it was registered I couldn't drive it to their workshop.

It was a hot day yesterday, hopefully it'll be a hot day today as well (i hate hot weather, but if it helps, then that's good)

If it's laminated, should I just cut the rubber and save the screen? and try and save both with the rear one? I don't wanna smash that windscreen. Rubber doesn't bother me too much.

#10 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:59 AM

Get a new screen for the front, my LX had the factory front screen, supposedly safety screen, so when we took it out we smashed it in the bin to see what would happen and it just cracked big time, not film in the middle of the screen.

My advice dont cut the rubbers if there good and you want to reuse them, get a new front laminated screen, not one from the trading post or ebay made in 1978, but a new screen, there $200 but a good idea.

btw screens just push out, take about 5 minutes a screen, get 2 people and its just a matter of pushing with your feet and a lil wiggle and diggle.

#11 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:03 AM

Heath windscreen blokes can come to you. But unless the screen is exceptional you will be better off getting a new one anyway. If it was me i would save the seals and if the screen breaks just get a new one. A new screen is a huge improvement on a car anyway ( driving wise)

#12 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:07 AM

I have a feeling that the windscreen people won't guarantee a front laminated screen coming out in one piece. If you go down that road ask them the question first.

#13 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:40 AM

If they don't guarentee their work, go elsewhere.

#14 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:55 AM

i always push with my hand, and start behind the rear view mirror, and work out to the top corners at the same time, I dont know if this is the best way to do it, but to give you an idea, i have broke 1 screen out of 6. the feet thing doesnt really sound very gentle to me, but i have seen it done that way.

get your old man to do it, and if it breaks blambe him.

#15 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:22 PM

Okay, Chopper just came over and attacked some of my problems, including both the front and rear window. We cut the front rubber so that we didn't risk smashing the glass (I already have two other front seals) and we managed to get the back one out easily without damaging anything. Thanks a lot Chop, and thanks for all the advice from you guys.

....It's good having rusty sills

#16 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:48 PM

The rust certainly helped a lot.

#17 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:53 PM

I have thought of A solution, I happen to own a hammer, a hammer + windscreen equals shattert glass, half ass job of romaval. I call it, "The Liam way"
LOL! :spoton: :rockon: :D

*Liam

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:34 PM

Heath and I got both screens out without any damage to the screens.

#19 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:44 PM

:clap:

RACV MAN

#20 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:19 AM

A windscreen installer is out of the question because the car has no engine, and even if it was registered I couldn't drive it to their workshop.

Most windscreen fitters are mobile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users