spark plugs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:06 PM

gday all could someone tell me what happens if you hav a too hoter plug. i know that if its to cool then they faul up but what about to hot.
cheers

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:08 PM

Detonation. If it's really hot, the plugs can self destruct.

#3 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:13 PM

geez that wouldnt be all that exciting. cheers chopper. so how are you supozed to choose the right plug?? just keep going hoter untill they stop fauling?

#4 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:30 PM

Yes to ^, thats one way of doing it , assuming you dont have some other sort of prob thats fouling the plugs like too strong a mixture, or not enough spark.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 19 February 2006 - 12:32 PM.

#5 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:42 PM

I've been told to use the coldest plug that won't foul. Obviously there will be some exceptions to the rule where a specific range is required for an obscure reason.

#6 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 01:18 PM

ok then cheers fellas i guess ill just have to play around with it a little. i just wanted to get the heat on the cheaper ngk plugs spot on before i go to the ridium plugs orrr are the ridium plugs different again??

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 01:40 PM

Dont know about that, could imagine that you could see some variation between plug types and brands, the heat ranges are not standardised across different brands, but possibly within the one brand should be ok.
For the sake of working out which one, you dont have to buy a whole set or experiment with another cheaper plug(that's assuming you already have some plugs in the motor), perhaps get one each of the irridium in adjacent heat ranges, put them in and see whether they foul up etc,swap them around in the cylinders if you arent too confident that each cylinder is getting the same mixture. Chances are, one will be good and then youll only have to buy another 5(or is it a v8 and youll need 7?)

Edited by devilsadvocate, 19 February 2006 - 01:46 PM.

#8 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:09 PM

yeh thats a good idea cheers for that devilsadvocate. ill do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users