first time starting an engine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _nibbsy_

_nibbsy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:48 PM

i am just about to start up my new 308 for the first time!!!
I was wondering if someone could tell me the way to put the dizzy in the right way and to make sure it fires up ok.
No. 1 piston is at TDC and should be ready to go.
Will it cause any problems that the motor will need to turn over a few times to get some fresh fuel up to it??
Any information on what is the best way to go about this and any other ideas would be greatly apprecitated.
Just chuck up all you can think off!!!
thanks again
nibbsy

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:00 PM

I would leave the plugs out and crank it until the oil light goes off or if you have a guage until the needle moves, this should also get fuel up to the carby. Then fit plugs to run it. Is it points dizzy or electronic?
RACV MAN

#3 _jdss57_

_jdss57_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:01 PM

1. move crank to between 10-6' BTDC compression(depending where you want your timing)
2. ignition on. turn dissy round till the points "crack", or if elec dissy the ref points line up( should get you pretty close to correct timing)
3. check oil, prime oil pump/filter
4. check coolant, pressure test if poss.
5. general check to see everything is tight, plugged in, free of moving parts.
6. put some petrol in a squirt bottle( to put some down carb for easy start)
7. start her up, pick up oil pressure asap... run up to 2000-2500rpm, and set it there for about 25minutes. if anything isnt right slowly drop speed and turn it off....

probably more but thats all i can think of at the moment..

#4 _jdss57_

_jdss57_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:03 PM

sorry the 2500rpm run in is only necessary if you have a new or recoed engine, just to bed camshaft..

#5 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:09 PM

1. move crank to between 10-6' BTDC compression(depending where you want your timing)

Good advise, this is the important bit that often gets stuffed up, No. 1 cylinder must be on compression otherwise your timing will be up to 180 degrees out.

#6 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:51 PM

With the "cracking of the points" make sure the points are on the opening ramp and not the closing ramp in direction of rotation.
RACV MAN

#7 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:10 AM

And befor you run it for 25 minutes to run in the cam MAKE SURE IT HAS OIL PRESSURE..

John

#8 _nibbsy_

_nibbsy_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:31 AM

How does one go about this and tell when you have??
I have never had to do this before and sure dont wont to stuff it it. Lay mans terms would also be appreciated as i am learning as i do this.
Would anything harmful happen if i did something wrong?
nibbsy

#9 _jdss57_

_jdss57_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:39 PM

when you line up your marks on the balancer it can be tdc(top dead centre no.1) on exhuast or compression. easiest way to get on comp stroke is remove no.1 plug, put your thumb over hole and as you wind the motor by hand up to tdc (where marks line up) you will feel the pressure push your thumb off. set marks on balancer to where you want your timing(between 6' and 10' btdc). then make sure your rotor button is pointing to no 1 lead. turn ignition on. turn the dissy around until you here and see the points crack open (it will spark between the points). as racv man said, make sure its on open ramp and not close ramp.. even still your timing should be close enough..good luck
i'm sure i've left something out that others will think of..

its a lot harder doing it in your head.. :huh:

#10 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:09 AM

I had a learning curve with my 179 when i first cranked it.... I didnt realise that i put my distributor in the wrong way.... It coughed, farted and backfired before i scratched my head and lifted the dizzy out and put it in the correct way!!

Steps:
1. Check and double check that everything is tight and motor is good to go...
2. Build oil pressure (by cranking motor with coil lead off)
3. Ensure fuel is there
4. Ensure spark is there
5. Crank her over, let it idle for about 30 - 45 seconds, then sit her at about 2000 - 2500rpm (vary this engine speed over 10 - 20 mins, but be careful not to overheat your motor), dont rev it straight up, gradually bring it up to revs!
6. Slow engine speed down slowly to idle
7. Quick 'running' tune-up
8. Stop motor and check for leaks/problems
9. Run motor in (load up in high gear to about 3000rpm for about 150 - 200kms, you can drive it normally, but its better to load the motor up and not free rev it). Take it up to the shops, on the highway, in the city - wherever! Just make sure that for the first 200kms or so, that you load it up in a high gear a fair bit! And always monitor oil level etc....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users