GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:09 AM

from a past experience years ago towing The ex charlie Obrien L34 Group C car it is much better to tow with car on backwards as well if you have a full fuel load... we used to tow behind a Bedford van and one night it got the sways .... very very scarey... a fun trip from lakeside to the coast.... definately a 2 undie trip.

#27 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:36 AM

Yes GML 31 That is why when towing a car with no engine you load it up diff first keeping the weight as close as you can to the tow cars rear axle. Try towing a car with no engine loaded up the conventional way, it's a barrel of laughs - NOT :)

Oh yes, one more thing, think about your insurance (assuming you are not a dummy and have insurance) first sign of illegal towing and any accident you may be involved in and see how fast your inurance company drops you. It will be faster than a red hot potatoe.

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 20 February 2006 - 10:40 AM.

#28 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:53 AM

Lots of info....thanks guys. :spoton:
Brett, you might as well call the RTA, at least they should have all the up to the minute data?
We'd all hate to see LXCHEV bruised and battered. :cry:

#29 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:01 PM

Yes GML 31 That is why when towing a car with no engine you load it up diff first keeping the weight as close as you can to the tow cars rear axle. Try towing a car with no engine loaded up the conventional way, it's a barrel of laughs - NOT :)

Oh yes, one more thing, think about your insurance (assuming you are not a dummy and have insurance) first sign of illegal towing and any accident you may be involved in and see how fast your inurance company drops you. It will be faster than a red hot potatoe.

Cheers
Herne

no it had a motor in it... just also had a full tank of fuel and with the front spoiler on you couldn't pull it all the way forward, worked much better in reverse... hey your not calling me a dummy are you lol....I have always had insurance for 26 years now, never had a claim, never had a prang... been lucky, pats head to touch wood.

#30 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:16 PM

hey GML 31 hell no I wasn't calling anyone here a dummy it was a generic term and I am sure it might apply to some :)

I realised you had an engine in the car you towed, I was merely pointing out that it's the same principal of best loading the weight when towing a car with no engine :) Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Look when it comes to towing the best advice I can give anybody is to know the weight of their trailer, the approx weight of their car and the approx weight of the car they are towing then check with the RTA and they will tell you what is legal. Umm pretty sure what sort of brakes the trailer has comes into play aswell.

I am a member of of a classic and antique car club here in Canberra and we loan out our trailer, however any person wishing to use it is always quizzed for legalities ie mass and weight etc. The club is careful not to become liable due to litigation where the trailer is concerned.

Cheers
Herne

#31 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:48 PM

The load rating of the tyres on your tow car is another factor to consider.
Cant tow a thing with my statesman cos of the 18's load rating
Damo

#32 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:12 PM

It has been mentioned in this thread that an LH - UC Torana with a load equalising hitch towbar can tow 1620 KG. I saw another set of figures that said 1650 KG, but in this case I shall err on the side of conservatism.

12' tandem trailers weigh in at 575 KG.
14' tandem trailers weigh in at 600 KG.

That gives you a maximum load of 1045 KG with a 12' trailer. Problem is finding the H/D towbar. Hayman Reece never made one and won't start now. After months of searching, I found a place that would make one and fit it for under $500. However, I either have to bring in my UC or show them photos of the under carraige. This will happen, but not in a big hurry. Once I get confirmation it can be made, I shall post the details.

#33 racean69

racean69

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Name:Rod
  • Car:LH sedan

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:51 PM

I was told once by a QLD cop that it was illeagal to tow a trailer with a car on it faceing backwards. This was quite a few years ago though.

He said that it was because people approaching from behind would be confused about the towed cars direction of travel. His words not mine.

#34 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:54 PM

its not the mass weight that the problem when you tow its the ball weight that the kill once you have the car on the trailer get at set of scale and put the scales at the front of the trailer the ball will be over the 250kg mark. thats why you use an adjustable level riders kit on heavy duty tow bar so it increase the ball weight.

#35 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:58 PM

We're going to brace up the chassis rails on mine for extra strength
I only tow a single axle unbraked car trailer total mass under 1000kg with the racecar on it

And Tinks..... if the Torana doesn't end up towing I'll buy something else that can.
Or fix the commodore

Infinity is out though...... no towbar avail

#36 _Duck05_

_Duck05_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:09 PM

Don't stress too much all,
I know a bloke who towed a two horse float all around Vic & SA throughout the 1980's, he owned and trained pacers and he did it all behind an slr5000 with a standard dealer fitted tow bar, and reckons he only ever had one drama a bit of sway up going down the Adelaide hills in '83 :huh: . The only modification was he ran air shocks.

PS: His mates tell me the little sway was actually a big sway and at some point the HORSES WERE IN FRONT of the Torrie :o LOL

Regards
Duck05

#37 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:14 PM

I suppose we could extend the arguement to:

"Yes officer the tyres are unroadworthy, but it still stops OK in the wet."

We may not all agree with all the regulations, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. And like it or not, we are all supposed to comply with all of them. Even the ones that suck.

#38 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:16 PM

...and at some point the HORSES WERE IN FRONT of the Torrie...

That would have been around 1895.

#39 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:26 PM

its not the mass weight that the problem when you tow its the ball weight that the kill once you have the car on the trailer get at set of scale and put the scales at the front of the trailer the ball will be over the 250kg mark. thats why you use an adjustable level riders kit on heavy duty tow bar so it increase the ball weight.

Cant make any sense of this at all coupe202, would you care to revise it?
mass weight? Increase ball weight over 250kg?

Im sure we could collect another 50 posts telling how each has towed the Queen Mary with their torrie, torries are tougher than nails stuff etc and had no probs, but what is required is relevant info on legal loads, manufacturers reccomendations and what is available.
It would be interesting to see what the outcome would be if one went with the Queensland RTA recommendations, which exceeded the manufacturers recommendations and one experienced a problem that got one into court. It does say, in the "absence of any manufacturers recommendations", not use our guidelines if youve lost the owner's manual......

#40 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:53 PM

After towing ridiculously large weights behind small cars including my daughters horse and float behind a TS Astra and my racecar behind a Vectra, I have recently spent a relatively small amout of money and purchased an old Nissan Patrol (complete with 350) and I must say the extra weight makes you fell much safer when those unexpected things happen.
Sure I have towed illegally a lot, but the confidence you get from having a decent tow vehicle is well worth it.
Now if only the budget would stretch to a new V8 Holden Adventra. That would be a great tow car !

#41 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:00 PM

Apparently Range Rovers can tow 4 tonne. Not bad.

#42 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:29 PM

what im saying is you have to get the tow car and trailer as even as possible the only way you can do that is by using a level rider kit this equipment will increase the ball weight rating.
for example if the tow bar is rated 1800kg for pulling and 120kg down force which is dorwn force = ball weight. so if you use a level rider kit the down force will increase depending on which level rider kit you use which will determine the total ball weight.
i hope i have made a bit more sense.

#43 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:42 PM

? Still needs clarification. My thoughts would be the downforce of 120kg on the tbar is not really a problem for the tbar itself(why would it have only that much strength in the vertical direction?), its more a function of load that size being so far from the rear axle upsetting the ride of the car that is the concern.
Are you saying that the level riders will increase the downforce on the tbar, I thought perhaps the idea was to reduce it?

#44 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:20 PM

hey glad to see a good amount of discussion on a safety concerning issue. i towed a 6X4 trailer on my old 186 girl, trailer tyres basically bold. and i only put 4 bolts through the chasis rails. Only problem i had was rolling back on a hill. didn't rev it enough for the load and just popped the clutch back in time to keep the engine going :)

cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users