Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:21 AM

heya guys
just wondering what flares i have got.
i have reason to believe that i have SS flares, after i looked at rims post comparing the 2 and why my 295/50's hit them all the time.
what do you think

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cheers
Evan.

#2 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:56 AM

Wouldnt have a clue mate but thats a mighty fine lookin torana.

#3 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:57 AM

I think your right evan, But mate that is one very sweet looking hatch you've got there, Love that colour........ "Green is Nice"

#4 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:17 AM

Your flares dont seem to stick out all that much... But L34 flares (The smaller ones) Only came on 4 Doors, So unless your Hatchback moulds were designed from L34 moulds, i have no idea why yours would be smaller...

It Could be the offset of your wheels, after all 295's are massive tyres and would scrub on most Flared toranas! Do you know the offset of your wheels?

#5 _Marshall_

_Marshall_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:17 AM

please post some more pics of your car :)

#6 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

chers for the comments guys.
i will do a Projects and plans thread soon as it han been a few years since i did one.
The wheels on the back are 15x10 Performance challangers on the rear and 8's on the front. They are 0 offset i beleve. 5 inches either way in to out.

Evan.

#7 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:22 PM

I run 15x10 with 5" backspace too... So You have the right offset... Have you parked your car next to another hatch with flares to see the difference? It might be worth buying some new rears and having them painted

#8 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:33 PM

These are Darrens Simmons on his hatch..15 x 10 .5"x 5"...Challengers are 113mm inner (4.5") and 137mm outer (5.5")....Think it might be the 1/2" difference....off set looks wrong to me...especially the shot from behind the car...flares look smaller one the green car to me.
R
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by rorym, 08 July 2008 - 05:38 PM.

#9 _L_X_Hatch_

_L_X_Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:45 PM

Dont know if this is a stupid question, but did the guards have to be cut on both the green and red lx's to get those wheels and that height setup? cheers

#10 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:59 PM

The pictures aren't clear enough to tell, do those rear flares go all the way to the bottom of the sill? BTW, there is no such thing as SS flares (talking factory), the A9X was the only hatch to have factory flares, and if you had a dealer fit flares, you got A9X ones. To me your offset looks all wrong on the rear. The rear rims sit out way to far, while the fronts sit in a long way, I would be interested to see how your track is. 295's should fit under the flares with no problem at all. Here is an A9X hatch with the flares removed. It is wearing 275/50 15's on the rear. You can see if the original guard was not cut, these would just about fit. Posted Image
here is another pic with flares fitted
Posted Image

#11 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:01 PM

Dont know if this is a stupid question, but did the guards have to be cut on both the green and red lx's to get those wheels and that height setup? cheers

yes, guards need to be cut

Posted Image

#12 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:32 PM

Cheers for the good opinions guys.
Red is on the money.
Yes the flares go all the way to the bottom of the sill.

I suppose hein-sight is a beautiful thing but before i found out about challenger rims i was going to run commodore pattern rims so i went for a commodore offset when i was getting my Borg warner chopped. think it was made 25mm wider than standard. hence the rims stick out a bit more.
It has hoppers kit on the front which i orderd to commodore offset to match the rear.
the fronts are 225/50's and they just fit in, they hit on the firewall at full lock , even with the little lip on the firewall ground off. And the front flare tickled a bit too. I thort that having a wider offset would increase max tyre size, not reduce it.

looking at this comparison that rim posted, and i know they are for a 4 door but my flares do look smaller. looking down on them with a ruler they are about 6cm wide.

Here are some more pics of the car, and when i cut the guards. Which are too low still, they have to be cut again ffs!!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Evan, 08 July 2008 - 06:34 PM.

#13 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:00 PM

comparing that last pic to the similar pic I posted, i think (if there is a differnce in flare size) by putting the flares off the A9X on your car, those wheels would still struggle to fit.

#14 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

Flares are based on L34 flares. Look at the angle at the top of the flare. If the same front and back, then L34 based, if different A9X (A9X rear come out at more of an angle and are wider). That's the way I tell the difference between the two. Must say, never seen L34 modeled flares for a hatch, but I suspected they existed.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 08 July 2008 - 07:27 PM.

#15 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:19 PM

You all missed the point..Read the post again....His diff is 25mm wider on each side to accomodate the commodore offset rims he was GOING to use... The diff is the difference.
R

#16 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:21 PM

hmmm, so pretty much the verdict is that there is only really one type of flare for a hatchback.
So whats with my fronts scraping? they are only 225/50/15's surly i can get fatter on the front. Doesnt litre8 have 265's on 17inch rims?

Evan.

#17 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

From the factory
L34 and A9X sedan and hatch front flares are identical
L34 rear flares were smaller and can be easily identified by the location of the lowest bolt location on the door. The L34 lowest bolt is on the end of the flare.
A9X sedan rear flares are wider (some still had L34 flares fitted) and easily identified by the lowest blot on the door being in the front face of the flare
Since the A9X hatch was the only hatch to ever have flares from the factory, only one type was made for the rear. However, various aftermarket companies have made various versions of all the flares over the years, some have done a better job than others.

I will be doing some measurements and seeing what the differences are exactly, but in the meantime, check these pictures for a comparison on 2 original A9X hatches.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

Rory, i totally missed that. That would explain it for sure.
Why your fronts scrape, it could be offset again. I have the same combination as you, 225/50/15 on the front and my flares are the original shape, uncut. The level of the car and ride height could come into it too.

#19 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

Hahah!..Not like you RED! :clap: ...
Evan..my 225/50-15 race tyres scrape on the HDT car as well...just!...in the floor with the lip folded and just touch the bottom of the flare as well. I would like to check the rolling diameter of Howards 17s compared to the 50 series 15".....plus a bigger tyre is flatter on the face so reckon a bit more clearence there because of it..
R

Edited by rorym, 08 July 2008 - 08:30 PM.

#20 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

Ring me when you want to sell the Challenger 15 x 10s :rolleyes: ..I am in the market.
R

#21 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

front are lowered 1200 pound springs.
rears are standard ride height. I Changed out my old springs in the rear for new lowered springs (cos i thort it already had lowered springs in) and it sat on the flares. So in went the old standard height springs.

In WA im pretty sure that there is only one place to get Flares from. I mite give him a call and take it the torry around and compare the two as i don't know where my flares came from as they were on the car when i purchased it. Other than that is there some way we could measure our flares to see if there is a difference?

Evan.

#22 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:35 PM

i will build the car around those rims Rory they look tough as !!! Seeing your post convinced me to get some. :)
didn't you have some?
have you put the car through its paces yet with such little clearances? I swear that my rear end moves a few inches. the front not so bad but just annoying.

Evan.

Edited by Evan, 08 July 2008 - 08:38 PM.

#23 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:00 PM

working out some rolling diameter figures, tell me what you think. On litre8 website it doesn't state the profile of the slick he runs, so i worked out what it could be knowing that it must be smaller than ours if it doesn't scrub.

15x8 with 225/50
38.1 Rim diameter
11.25 one sidewall.
60.6 cm rolling diameter

litre8
17x10 with 265/30?
43.18 rim diameter
7.95 One sidewall
56.08 Rolling diameter

Correct me if i am wrong.

Edited by Evan, 08 July 2008 - 09:01 PM.

#24 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:01 PM

hmmm, so pretty much the verdict is that there is only really one type of flare for a hatchback.

be carefull assuming, there were many people cashing in on these over the years and there could well have been a manufacture that didn't quite get it right size wise.

#25 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:21 PM

gday red, just reading the bit about some a9x sedans being fitted with l34 rear flares. do mean from factory? because fella i know recently brought an absinth a9x from sydney way with l34 flares. and i perhaps ignorantly told him that they were incorrect. i guess 30 years around these things doesnt mean you know all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users