engine tuning

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 _toranal31_

_toranal31_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:40 AM

Can anyone please recommend a good workshop in melbourne for getting a 308 (carbied) tuned up good? Pref west suburbs, but will travel for right place.
Has anyone used williamstown dyno tune? & is dyno tuning any better than a regular tune? cheers

: thanks 4 the welcome yellow SLuR, i'll post pics soon.

#2 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:33 AM

PM Louie ---> PurpleLC, he is the carby gun round here, and know's most of the players.

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:32 PM

I would recommend an "old school" workshop as a lot of the mechanics in franchises are babies. I used to share my RACV van with a 30yr old who said "I know nothing about points ignition, it does my head in".

RACV MAN

#4 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:44 PM

And then us babies say, wat the hell are points.
EFI helps me sleep, lol.

cheers
JNR_ATE

#5 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:53 PM

Hey JNR_ATE,
Not trying to argue here but do they still teach carby's and points ignition at trade school? I am interested to know.

RACV MAN

#6 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:02 AM

Im a diesel mechanic so my trade scool was all compression ignition this and inline injection pump that, for some reason i did have a small go at a gas system on a 2 barrel carby while i was there(when i was there)

As far as i know, 90% of trade school now is EFI and fault diagnostics, unless u get an oldscool teacher who brings in his kingswood to and shows u a tune up and wat "POINTS" are then thats about it.

Lol, as a diesle mechanic i found it funny i did my fault diagnosis on a VN V6 engine, not a big banger CUMMINS or CAT.

The most i did on spark ignition was pull the dizzy out of a 202, flick the key, then see how many people had it 180 degrees out. lol

cheers
JNR_ATE

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:19 AM

Interesting perspective Rodomo.

It does "pay" to consider who will be working on your car, I wouldnt expect any of the older mechanics to much good at operating all the computa stuff for fault diagnosis on new cars either, unless they were really dedicated to reading up all manufacturers service bulletin releases and perhaps having update courses in the above. Its perhaps really horses for courses.

#8 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:07 PM

When I had rocker dramas in Echuca, everyone had their heads under the bonnet helping out, except for the Holden Apprentice with us.........

He is on here too, but we won't name names, hehehehe.

Grant..

#9 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:09 PM

I'm a Diesel Mech too..I got my trade in the Army...we used to go right in depth into carbies and all types of ignition.

I borrowed my old mans ute to go back to Albury for a course..it started running like a hairy goat...it run the same carb we used to study (ADM 34 weber)..so I went back to see if they could help me at the "Wing" and they inform me they don't teach carbies any more and all the parts and training aides were gone.

Luckily for me we went just as much in depth with EFI...so I am comfortable with both.

#10 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:55 PM

have heard good things about williamstown

#11 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:04 PM

I did 11 years in my first job as a diesel mechanic in a government department with a fleet of 300 vehicles where every thing was repaired in shop. All the time driving (and working on) my (and relos and mates) carburetted points ignition cars. Trade school then was 2yrs general trade school and final year "C" stream (heavy vehicles). I went in to business and being a new business we did everything from blades on lawn mowers to replacing a 10 litre diesal, converting from standard box to road ranger and fitting a highway diff. I was fortunate that this was about the same time as fuel injection and electronic ignition were coming to the fore. Also repco training were running courses (I don't think they do that any more) any myself and my mechanic attended all the classes. He was 10 yrs younger than me and had been taught some of the stuff in trade school so we could share our thoughts.
I believe that the only way to learn is to do it yourself and by running a business at that time was the best experience for me. Again I am fortunate that with the RACV training and information on newly released vehicles I can still be up to date.

RACV MAN

Edited by rodomo, 22 February 2006 - 11:05 PM.

#12 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:53 AM

Yeah, I work for IVECO in laverton and there engines are basically leading the way in anti-pollution laws. European engines just seem to shit all over american engines in that area.

Most of my training and diagnosis now starts with our laptop, plug and play basically. Unless we get an old CAT or CUMMINS, knowledge of the older type is fading out fast for us yungsters.

The last few years have seen more change-over parts introduced and the art of rebuilding a diff or 18 speed gear box is becoming extinct. Have to get hooked in with a Older mechanic and learn before he retires.

I will say that when it comes to trucks, the inline injection pump would have thought to be extinct by now(much like the carbs or points) but its still proving itself to be a worthy apponent against electric fuel pumps. I think the workshops are getting yunger and yunger and its gunna bite us yungsters in the but some times.

Thats what i have to say anyway.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#13 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:51 AM

Everyone seems to be going to Williamstown (All your hero streetmachine sorta things) and they remap the E.C.U, its really common with LS1's. But I dont know whats so speacil about Walliamstown.

#14 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:49 PM

Again I am fortunate that with the RACV training and information on newly released vehicles I can still be up to date.

RACV MAN

no reflection on your skills Rodomo, but its a shame the dimwit from racv batteries who changed over the battery in my brothers 2001 Commodore(VT?) didnt think(or know?) to keep the power applied while changing the battery. Now the radio wont work without the security code and now we have to go through whatever process to get the code from gmh(the vehicle is 2nd hand) with no code written down anywhere.

#15 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:28 PM

But he got the car going? Not really OUR prob. that the member doesn't have the code. Generally the battery has been too flat on arrival to retain the code.

RACV MAN

Edited by rodomo, 04 March 2006 - 11:33 PM.

#16 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:48 PM

Youd be the only person ive heard so far that would agree with the "not our problem", is that just your view or racv 'total customer care' policy: we fixed the problem but caused another....great.
As I understand it, the ecu/computer also loses all its settings and has to go through a whole lot of resetting too?
its a fairly simple procedure to change a battery and keep power to the circuit it would have only taken another minute to do it properly.
Got it going, it was just a replacement battery, when it finally wouldnt turn it over, and it would have still been producing enough voltage(generally about 7-8v) to keep that circuit in the radio alive. Seldom, Id say never, are batteries that dead that have been in a working vehicle, unless a battery has been drained down by leaving headlights on etc, then its more than likely it will still be up around the 12V mark, just not have functioning cell capacity to crank over the starter.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 04 March 2006 - 11:51 PM.

#17 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:31 AM

With regard to "not our problem", please explain how it can be the RACV's problem that the member doesn't know THEIR radio code as this is all I commented on. Yes I agree about keeping the memories alive, it is easy and we are aware of the responibility to keep it alive provided it is not allready lost. A battery with around 7-8 residual volts will keep the memory alive but if the battery is faulty and the member attempts to start or check what else is working the voltage will drop and loose memories. Can you say for sure that that had not allready happened? Were you there? Members often have difficulty taking responsibility for what happens to their car and when we arrive seem to need someone to blame even though we didn't lock their keys in their car, but have turned up to retreive them or that we didn't run over that nail in their tyre when they have no spare in pouring rain. No more comments from me.

RACV MAN

#18 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 01:40 PM

Well it sounds like it would be pointless trying to explain to you how it should be something the racv should take into consideration, but then again it would be interesting to see what management regard as acceptable service here. Regardless of whether you think the owner is stupid for not having retained the code, for many, especially those getting on, dealing with radios,presets, codes etc is mind boggling and this is something that the patrolman should take care of either by making sure the power supply is retained or offering to reset the radio with the aid of the customers handbook if available(If this occurs all the time as you say, theyd be very quick at it). Just as a plumber from the gas company would restart gas hw after disconnecting the gas supply.
Yes there was easily enough in the battery to keep the radio alive, and I know for a fact, that in our case the driver was listening to the radio while waiting for the patrolman.

#19 _toranal31_

_toranal31_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:55 PM

Tryed out Williamstown dyno tune - highly recommended - the owner (Peter) has built and races a blown 308 (in a dragster type chassis) that is down to a 7.1 sec 1/4 mile. it has over 1000hp. he's a real nice bloke, he's had a bunch of toranas and obviously knows 308's well.

#20 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:44 PM

Glad to hear you found the right man! Which is what this thread was originally about.

RACV MAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users