Chev 350 or 308

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:30 PM

Im not entirely agreeing with the whole ideology behind the need for a bigger radiator but one fact is the more power an engine produces, the more heat it produces, regardless of CID.

i had a stock 308 and a 500hp 355 (plus n20) with the same cooling system in the same car with no difference in temp what so ever.

#27 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:29 AM

BCR 42Y wait till you have to do plugs in a chev powered one!

I haven't had the opportunity to work on a Chev in a Torana engine bay, but it "looks" like there is more room to do things like plugs, extractors/exhuast manifolds etc, am I right in saying this?

#28 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:55 AM

if you have rams horns like i do forget it, i really need extractors!!!

#29 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:35 AM

I will add two comments on some of the above discussions from my own personal experience with my 383 Chev in the LX:

Cooling System:
I'm running a stock old plain 3 row V8 radiator - just with the outlets modified to suit the Chev (approx $50). My temp gauge does not move off the thermostat temp (180 F), even on hot Summer days - even drag racing! My engine makes approx 450 HP so it's no stocky. Cannot praise the cooling system enough! I am also running twin AU thermo's (approx $200), which I'm sure help in a huge way. Also running a stock Chev waterpump (brand new approx $60). Can't get much of a cheaper cooling system than that.

Changing Spark Plugs:
Piece of cake (easier than Holden) if you have well designed extractors. Mine are custom, and I can remove all 8 plugs in probably 1 or 2 minutes flat if I wanted to. I can also completely remove my extractors from the car with the engine remaining in place, no mucking around at all, it is a pleasure to work with.

At the end of the day - if you're upgrading from a 6 to a V8 - then I honestly don't think there's much difference whether you go Holden or Chev - you're going to spend very similar amounts of money, and go through a similar process. If you shop around carefully, you can definitely do a Chev conversion for little cost. I find the single budget killer is the pipes - most people prefer custom jobs which equal big bucks. But there are some half decent off the shelf pipes - I don't mind the CAE ones. With the Chev though - you need the engineers report to make it legal. This cost me $660 for my VASS certificate/report here in Vic.

If you are starting from having a Holden V8 already in the car though - then the smarter move would be to stay Holden and just save the bucks.

#30 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:42 AM

Changing Spark Plugs:
Piece of cake (easier than Holden) if you have well designed extractors. Mine are custom, and I can remove all 8 plugs in probably 1 or 2 minutes flat if I wanted to.

Yeah, but, you're A.D.D
(Check avatar pic) :tease:

#31 _Marshall_

_Marshall_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:14 PM

Cheers guys I all ready have some stuff,

Engine $2030

Gearbox - I've bought a toploader set up complete, inc bellhousing and tailshaft
Crossmember and speedo cable $??
Extractors $530
He Sump $360
CVR starter $308
Tailshaft and yoke - all ready have it but need to confirm that till fit
engine brakets + mounts $100
Aftermarket oil cooler $33
V8 king springs $105
V8 uc Booster $95
New ball joints - All ready done
Gilmer belt pulley drive $170

togo:
Exhaust will cost $150
Air filter
Fuel fittings
trans oil lines
rear springs
smaller dizzy!
lots of nuts n bolts biggrin

Radiator - I'm not going to muck around 4core alloy plus thermo's
Shroud - as above

Longer starter lead - $75;
Change to bigger brakes - Hopper brake kit $1300

Edited by Marshall, 03 August 2008 - 12:16 PM.

#32 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:47 PM

Yeah, but, you're A.D.D
(Check avatar pic)

HAHAHA! Good call :)