Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:20 AM

I've put this in another thread, but I thought I should start a new one with it.
I've got a drama with oil coming out of the oil fill cap on my red 6. I've been through a few different caps and none of them seal. I was thinking of replacing the rocker cover and getting a new cap. What do you guys use and do you have any oil leak problems? I was also just thinking how would I know if I have a high volume oil pump? Could that be causing too much oil at the top end? Any help or pics of your setup would be good

#2 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:02 AM

The oil coming out the cap may be oil vapour that has condensed back to liquid oil.

Check the pcv valve to make sure it isnt blocked up and that its connected to the carby or manifold, this is meant to remove the vapour from inside the rocker cover.

Regards James

#3 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:43 PM

Another option is a oil catch can. Which will catch all the excess oil that get pushed to the top.

#4 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:05 AM

Not all rocker covers have the lip that catches the lug of the filler cap at the same level, hence not always a good fit. Just need to vary the size/number of the cork seals on the cap to stop it leaking. (can buy the gaskets separately) Most caps will leak as the cork seal compresses down over time.

#5 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:43 AM

Just having a think about this and I've only got the PCV hooked up to the last carby. Just wondering how others with triple carbs have their vacum lines set up? My brake booster vacum line is split in two and hooks into 2 ports between each of the carbs. Now my PCV used to run off the same vacum hose as the brake booster, but at low speeds it used to take the vacum from the brakes (making slowing for speed bumps in carparks a bitch :rolleyes: ). So to stop that I hooked the PCV off the last carb so maybe now its not getting enough vacum. Any thoughts?

#6 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:10 PM

Had a look this arvo. The PCV is working fine, I just think I need a better setup in regard to rocker cover/filler cap sealing. Maybe a good time for a custom sheetmetal jobbie :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users