Posted Image[break]
Posted Image

VIEW ARTICLE
How To Get 330+ Hp From A 253 V8

#2 _trac-torqueraceengines_

_trac-torqueraceengines_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:41 AM

nice article, especially being that it was delivered on my birthday, but if you want more horsepower than this, get rid of those hill top pistons, cause all they will do is go down sideways, so replace them with some true flat tops and set up the deck heights correctly, along with the combustion chambers, and away she goes. :spoton: number two step is to get the port shape right, its naturally aspirated so you need to make the ports work for you, get the speed and the flow working in the correct manner at the right angles and it all starts to happen. as for the cam, dont need to go rediculous cause if you know how the combustion chamber sits over the bore, you will notice that there is a fair edge where the chamber sits further past the edge of the bore, in turn creating a stale spot where the flow from the intake creates negative flow, unfortuneately holden only made the heads to really work with 308 bore size, but if your clever, you can improve this disease. the old 253 if built SMART, will have no problems pulling over 400hp at the flywheel without stroking the crank, but it takes alot of hours on a black board to get it right, and if you do, yeah man... do they go. alot of people hate them, i love the 253, had plenty of them and still got plenty of them. as for the 308, nothing beats a well built 336 stroker, but you got to tickle them the right way too. wrong cam and it will go like a ford anglia. the best combo ive had out of a 253 was a 282 cubic inch by the time it was stroked, nice combo with small valve heads, pulled like a nutter and went hard. i wouldn't put anyone down for wanting to build up a nice 253, holden got their v8 block design and crank design spot on for making RELIABLE horsepower from the start, and if you get it right, it will go forever. keep on holden on!!! JERRY. TRAC-TORQUE RACE ENGINES.

#3 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:23 AM

Note the big gains made on that engine when replacing the MaxiTork with a stock intake.

#4 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:07 AM

nice article, especially being that it was delivered on my birthday, but if you want more horsepower than this, get rid of those hill top pistons, cause all they will do is go down sideways, so replace them with some true flat tops and set up the deck heights correctly, along with the combustion chambers, and away she goes. :spoton: number two step is to get the port shape right, its naturally aspirated so you need to make the ports work for you, get the speed and the flow working in the correct manner at the right angles and it all starts to happen. as for the cam, dont need to go rediculous cause if you know how the combustion chamber sits over the bore, you will notice that there is a fair edge where the chamber sits further past the edge of the bore, in turn creating a stale spot where the flow from the intake creates negative flow, unfortuneately holden only made the heads to really work with 308 bore size, but if your clever, you can improve this disease. the old 253 if built SMART, will have no problems pulling over 400hp at the flywheel without stroking the crank, but it takes alot of hours on a black board to get it right, and if you do, yeah man... do they go. alot of people hate them, i love the 253, had plenty of them and still got plenty of them. as for the 308, nothing beats a well built 336 stroker, but you got to tickle them the right way too. wrong cam and it will go like a ford anglia. the best combo ive had out of a 253 was a 282 cubic inch by the time it was stroked, nice combo with small valve heads, pulled like a nutter and went hard. i wouldn't put anyone down for wanting to build up a nice 253, holden got their v8 block design and crank design spot on for making RELIABLE horsepower from the start, and if you get it right, it will go forever. keep on holden on!!! JERRY. TRAC-TORQUE RACE ENGINES.

Hey Jerry,

Wouldnt mind picking your brain a bit more on the 282 stroker you built. Sounds like a similar motor to mine... Mine was built for gas, and now its running on petrol i want to get the specs right again to get the most out of it...

What Cam, Manifold etc did you use?

Cheers,

Matt

#5 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:31 PM

twin turbo/injection :spoton:

#6 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:33 PM

twin turbo/injection :spoton:

#7 _NZLH_

_NZLH_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hi all,Any help building up a 253 I have just brought would be great,Im going to plant it firmly in the engine bay of my LH in place of the opel 1900.are the 308 heads any better for flow?is the 308 std cam a benifit for the 253 etc,cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users