#26 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:25 AM

would it be worth getting that lill join near the flipper window where the roof joins the guard on a hatchback (crikey if ya dunno what im on about after THAT description :blink: ) C-pillar leadwipped? would this help them from rusting. also does the lead crack with twisting? (crack running along top of A-pillar from silly 6 that was in there, needs to be fixed)
and would the bst place to look for info/work be the local hot-rod club?
phew!
sorry bout that guys

#27 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:28 PM

Lead is pretty flexable, so it probably wont crack, thats my guess, which is a big advantage over bog, you've seen how bog cracks up.

#28 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:19 PM

If you know anyone in the cable repair division of Telstra, they use lead wiping on the underground leadjoints to make them air pressure tight. They've been doing this since the 60's maybe ealier. The only difference is they are lead wiping lead to lead protected cables, keeping in mind that when finished the joints are air tight! So these telstra guys are a dying breed it may be worth asking one the next time you pass a group working in a manhole.Im currently restoring an LC GTR and won't hesitate at lead wiping. When the surface is pre'd correctly its a great way of filling deep grooves then use a thin smear of bog to dress it up.

#29 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:15 PM

Hi Guys,

I have never done Lead wiping, but I have seen it done and it's brilliant. I was surprised at how easy it is done by an experienced hand. Body filler does have it's place, but I would like option of lead wiping to be left open.

The Lead wiping that I saw, they were using normal Solder Sticks that every Hardware sells.

Hardware shops sell Solder Sticks lengths of about 12 inches long, and as 60/40 or 50/50.

That is the ratio of "TIN to LEAD" ; ie 60% TIN to 40% LEAD.

50% TIN to 50% LEAD, has a lower melting temperature to melt when soldering.

It is more convenient for people to use body filler compared to Lead wiping, because it is easier and faster.

Any soldering or Lead wiping involves a correctly Temperatured Hot Copper soldering Iron, Sal Ammoniac to "Tin" your Copper soldering Iron, Flux, Spirits of Salts [ Hydrochloric Acid ] to etch and prepare the site to be soldered and a damp leather patch on a piece of board to smooth out the solder in Lead wiping.

No wonder people prefer to use body filler, as it's less involved.

Kind regards
George

did the finish end up smooth or did it require filing?

#30 _new72lj_

_new72lj_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:28 PM

well, never had heas to do with leadwiping, because it ust so hard to get someone who is good at it to work for you, and i think the whole legality issue being discussed makes it difficult. although i must say never had much t do with straight bog body filler also, when i was at that stage, i got onto an aweosme product called metal tech, not trying to plug the product but worked wonders.
stainless steel putty that dry's into real metal. when it dry;s it wont crack and the amount you can do with it is unlimited. panel beater friend got me onto, never go bog again

#31 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:47 AM

About the grease nipples in EH front ends it was a common though not quite roadworthy practice to unscrew the gease nipple from the upper and lower kingpin bush and insert a small bearing ball and re-insert the grease nipple and adjust to take up king pin play. Consequently if the grease nipple was removed the kingpin play became apparent. Showing my age again are'nt I?

#32 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:26 AM

did the finish end up smooth or did it require filing?

From what I have seen of leadwiping when being demostrated - yes it still needed file finishing.
I am refering to panel work here and not the gutter area or a car.

Cheers
Herne

#33 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:13 PM

one comment guy's. bog is lighter than lead. and if the body twists and the bog cracks, you need more stiffening lol.

that said, we have mentioned how lead causes evil things to happen, but no one has mentioned how bog causes cancer. ALWAYS wear gloves whilst applying it and wear a dust filter mask whilst sanding it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users