Airless Spray guns and Welders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _2nd Childhood_

_2nd Childhood_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 03:23 PM

I need to spray my truck chassis and would like to use an airless spray gun. How easy are these to use and what would I need to pay to buy a reasonable one that is good enough for this job and also could be used for small spray jobs on my daily driver.
I would also like to pick up a small welder (arc??) that I could use for simple welding jobs, panel repairs etc.
Thank

#2 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:40 AM

Sorry know nothing about airless spray kits. I just went the compressor/gravity feed gun route.

Welders, your going to need a MIG for panel work and a stick(arc) for heavier grade steels (over 5mm). Stick/arc isn't really suitable for panel work. I've heard that the gasless MIG isn't much chop, but never used it. Been meaning to get some gasless wire for my gas MIG to see how it goes.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 24 November 2005 - 06:41 AM.

#3 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 24 November 2005 - 07:07 PM

Ive just used both gas and gassless MIG welders and theyre both ok.

If youve got very little work to go, a gasless mig will be ok, the weld is UGLY and there is alot of spatter and smoke, but it will work ( grinding teh weld back will reveal a good weld). Its also harder to start i found! Not quite point and shoot like a gas Mig is!

If your going to do any quantity of welding.. i'd get a mig and hire ( borrow!) an argon bottle.. this will be your best for quality and ease of use.
Forget ARC welding for anything but structural steel... and TIG is a bit much i think.

When i do my torry.. i'm spending around $12-1500 to buy a mig welder that is around 190-200A that will go low enough to do auto steel, but high enough to do structural work ( up to 12MM steel if prepped right). I'm going to need to do a fair bit of welding though.. so happy to spend a bit mroe to get a GOOD machine i'll have forever.

I dont think an airless sprayer will give a very good finish on the body of a car... maybe undercariage work it might be ok. I have used one, but i dont think theyre much chop!

Good luck!

#4 _jimjet61_

_jimjet61_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:24 PM

Haven't used one so maybe I shouldn't comment, but any spray gun with enough adjustments can normally do a pretty good job, the reason I probably wouldn't use an airless gun would be paint wastage. You have to clean up afterwards, and I would think maybe there would be more paint wasted, more thinners needed etc. I am not a spray painter but have painted tractors, trucks, farm machinery, and quite a few cars, using most types of paint, enamels, 2 packs and acrylic, and have found just the normal gravity fed gun to produce pretty good results, so unless you were going to paint something pretty big, I would question the extra expense in an airless unit. If you get a spray gun with 3 adjustments, spray pattern, paint flow and air adjustment, and read the instuctions on the paint can, and not try to get the job finished in one coat, then you should be able to get some pretty reasonable results. Think of the paint cans you buy, low pressure just enough to transport the paint to the surface, but not enough to dry the paint, or blast it into the atmosphere, and if you set your spray gun up similar you will be pretty close, and not waste lots of paint. Probably and oversimplification, but try practising on a few old panels, so you get the paint onto the panel with as little air pressure as possible will save heaps of paint. Works for me . Good luck Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users