LCGTR cooling system

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _71LCGTR_

_71LCGTR_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:09 PM

G,day everyone,i got a question,whats the normal water level fill up point for the radiator?When i top my radiator up to the top and put the cap on ,the temp gets to about 180 and opens up the thermostat,but in the process im losing about an inch or inch and a half of water out of the overflow pipe .The car does not have a recovery bottle.Is it normal to be topping it up this much every time it is run?Cheers 71LCGTR.

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:17 PM

If every thing else is ok with no recovery bottle that is what should happen.
Just check it daily and make sure it doesn't drop any lower.
RACV MAN

#3 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:24 PM

It will sort its own level out...and that is usually bout an inch down from the top...it cant stay full to the brim due to the exspansion and contraction of the water.

#4 _71LCGTR_

_71LCGTR_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys,i think an expansion tank would be the way to go.Cheers 71LCGTR

#5 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:10 PM

As EH says if there are no other leaks it will sort its own level out and not need regular topping up. Perhaps try that out 1st. If the level goes down to the top of the tubes, youve definitely got a leak somewhere else or a radiator cap thats not holding pressure.
Do you have an overheating prob, getting an extra half litre or so in the radiator by filling it to the top will only increase the time needed to get to a certain temp, it wont make the car run any cooler as the top tank isnt where the cooling is done. Anyway, when the car is getting hot, thats when your water volume would have increased to occupy the whole top tank anyway, or if you had an overflow tank fitted water the extra water you added to the radiator would be removed.
If you do decide to go recovery, youll need the tank, "recovery radiator" cap(yes the caps are different) and some tubing.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 25 February 2006 - 05:22 PM.

#6 _71LCGTR_

_71LCGTR_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:13 AM

g,day devilsadvocate,no the waters not dropping below the tubes.Ill keep an eye on it .thanks mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users