advice for first project

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _blown350_

_blown350_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:49 PM

hey everyone im just looking for some advice from some more experienced people about how to start my first project car.
im looking for a 4 door lh/lx with idealy 300 hp a supra 5 speed and all the rest.... the question is whats the best way to start a project, as far as value for money goes and keeping in mind i want it on the road asap. for example
buy a $500 rolling shell and do everything myself
buy someone elses hard work and enjoy it until i have enough money to change what i dont like
or buy some elses half finished project and complete it
what are the pros and cons of each... its just i dont want to take on more than i can handle. i have family and friends who have build toranas and will give me a hand and im very willing to do as much as i can myself.

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:57 PM

Personally I think doing everything yourself is fantastic, but as far as a first project goes, it's not very practical.

Finished projects are good value, but it doesn't feel like it's yours, even if its a unique vehicle I don't think I'd have the same satisfaction driving it around.

Half finished projects are fantastic, because they often still give you options on where you want to go, the prices are often unbelievably low because people need to get rid of it etc, forgetting about how much they spent on all of those new parts that have never been used before. And you can still often chose your colour of carpet, paintwork, how far you wanna go with the engine, what engine you want to choose? auto or manual etc etc.

All depends on how much you have to spend, obviously doing it all yourself is gonna cost the most, unfinished then completing it a bit more, and doing it all yourself, shitloads more, lol.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, other people's will differ, and don't be too swayed by anyone; make it your own decision in the end ;)

#3 _tj81_

_tj81_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:10 PM

For a first project, i would suggest buying something that is complete, parts wise, and generally close to where you want to go. You can then add to it and personalise it to your liking, without the headaches of trying to do it all yourself first time round.

A half finished project and be good value, as the previous owner most likely has spent a packet on good bits, run out of money, and either has been told to get rid of it (the missus ect) or needs to sell it in a hurry cheap.

Far too often, people get the itch to do a complete rebuild/project, run out of money, patience, time or just get sick of it as its alot of work. Its the most common thing we see in forums like these.

#4 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

i personally wouldnt buy a unfinished project as sometimes you will get all the little bits you need to get it back together other time you wont and its all the little bits that you realy need

id have to say go with a complete finish car something like you would build then give it your own touch and make it YOUR car :)

#5 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:43 PM

personally ive only had 2 project cars and 4 others, the projects are a much more exciting and fullfilling experience, just to know, i did that. :D, gives u a sense of satisfaction and releif in a way. knowing that everything has been done correctly and to your liking.

just my opinion, what ever car u choose, so long as its a torry, will be a fun investment.!!! :D.

cheers michael.

#6 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:59 PM

If you want to do up a car which includes a respray, choose a car that is as original as possible. Buying a car thats been painted before you never know what is lurking under the paint and bog. Buy a old mans car with faded paint, but no rust.

#7 _blown350_

_blown350_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:25 PM

thanks for the advice guys... yeah my original idea was to buy a old mans car that hasnt been touched but ive been talked out of it because of the money i would save buying a car already done. and i really want to have the satisfaction of taking part in the rebuild so i think an unfinished project or a already done car would be the best option... the only thing im worried about is getting a project that requires to much work because i dont want to run out of money and get sick of it.

#8 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:19 PM

Take some of your family/friends along who know about these things, when you go looking at cars, then they can let you know what else needs to be done.

Grant..

#9 _revmaniac_

_revmaniac_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:25 PM

write a list of what you want in the car...as detailed as possible.....include paint job wheels trim etc........TRIPPLE IT....and if you have that much NOW....go for it....you might just scrape it in b4 you run out of $$$......im serious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users