SLR 5000 L34

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:34 PM

Hello i am interested in finding out just how Rare L34/S are ,as they are much rarer than a A9X if only 263 were made and with the raceing and natural attrition there cant be that many left , Any owners and any body that knows of cars contact me as i would like to get some figures of whats left < I personally after haveing got one and looking around think they should worth a lot more than what is quoted , My argument is they are rarer have just as good a raceing pedigree as an A9X and a A9X is just a upgraded L34 , SO i reckon a 4 door A9x should be the same or less and a hatch the ultimate a bit more , My thoughts , REX

#2 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:01 PM

Amen.

#3 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:14 PM

I think you will find that the A9X is more than just an updated L34. Just in the suspension and handling geometry that are much different with A9X having the full RTS spec, revised suspension mounting points front & rear. The diffs and axle of L34 were regarded as there major weakness where as A9X has the much robust salisbury unit, not forgetting the better braking performance with 4 wheels discs all round on A9X. I think these points alone put it ahead of the L34. Possibly the only advantage for L34 would be the engine and the HO option pack, where as A9X had to make do with standard 308 due to ADR27, although the thermo fan in lieu of belt driven unit certainly helped the A9X.

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:19 PM

Not this discussion again. Yes probably rarer, but nowhere near as rare as the LH Plus 4, G-Pak or LC 1600cc overhead cam. Think you need to throw desirability and memorable into the equation. The A9X, due to a certain Peter Brock and winning Bathurst by six laps, breaking the track record on the last lap, makes it more memorable and desirable to most people. One of those defining moments in history.

Yella sits back and waits for REDA9X to log on!

#5 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:33 PM

L34 is for sure rarer, but I guess the market value of the cars tells the story.

#6 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:54 PM

Yes you are right as usual But the question , How many times did a L34 win Bathurst and how many did the A9x , And if Brocky drove a 4 door in that race he probably would have still won , And how many are left ? I still think they are more popular only because they had a better paint scheme that everyone loves , Why other wise would most Lh/S slrs be painted up as Lx/S , TREX

#7 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:07 PM

L34 wone 2 Bathursts, 75 and 76, A9X won 2 as well, 78 and 79, and the hatches were the popular choice for racing (well, the only choice really if you want to get technical) The thing with L34 is out of those 263, how many were raced? The A9X's had a special batch of race shells, but the L34 did not, making good L34's even harder to find.

http://australianmus...w?node_id=75521

here is an interesting one, but why is it not black in the bottom of the grill for a car with so little km?

#8 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:05 AM

L34 wone 2 Bathursts, 75 and 76, A9X won 2 as well, 78 and 79, and the hatches were the popular choice for racing (well, the only choice really if you want to get technical) The thing with L34 is out of those 263, how many were raced? The A9X's had a special batch of race shells, but the L34 did not, making good L34's even harder to find.

http://australianmus...w?node_id=75521

here is an interesting one, but why is it not black in the bottom of the grill for a car with so little km?

Got to love his words "I have not put the old girl over the quarter mile as I am afraid I might bust one of those fragile rear axles",
scared to drive his car the way it was made, thank goodness we didnt have these guys back holden at bathurst, he would still be trying to finish the 74 race, easy does it.
Another case of hidden not driven. They do look great in the garage :rockon:

Edited by LS1LX, 28 February 2006 - 06:05 AM.

#9 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:00 AM

I still think they are more popular only because they had a better paint scheme that everyone loves , Why other wise would most Lh/S slrs be painted up as Lx/S , TREX

Think your clutching at a few straws there. I personally hate black bonnets. The LH SL/R paint scheme was the best ever IMHO.

#10 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:38 AM

REDA9X Posted on Feb 27 2006, 09:07 PM

The chrome strip is also missing. Not so original after all.

Also if you wanted to show off such a rare car why would you only have one photo?

James

#11 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:33 PM

I have to say even my car had a black bonnet and LX boot signage at least it didnt have the scoop , Oh well it looks like i have one of only a couple of L34/s left as all there seems to be is those A9X/S and looka likes , I know of 5 here in Nth QLD and hope to find more over time , REX

#12 _Fairdinkum_

_Fairdinkum_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:02 PM

I have to say even my car had a black bonnet and LX boot signage at least it didnt have the scoop , Oh well it looks like i have one of only a couple of L34/s left as all there seems to be is those A9X/S and looka likes , I know of 5 here in Nth QLD and hope to find more over time , REX

Mate,sounds like you really want an A9X to me,,,,,you keep having to justify your L34,,,being rarer etc etc.......etc.......rabbit just enjoy what you got,
The A9X is a SUPERIOR Car (IMO),,,,,,,,L34 are not that much rarer........A9X's are worth more now, and probably will allways be........i luv the L34 but i'll take an A9X anyday...........anyway thats just my opinion cheers

#13 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:04 PM

I think if i had the choice i'd pick a L34 over the A9X, i also think the colours available were more in your face than the A9X's, both nice cars but im for the l34

#14 _purpleLC_

_purpleLC_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:02 PM

Rex I know of 7 L34's between a few friends.

Louie

#15 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:22 PM

Thanks LOUIE thats what i wanted any colours and are they all in Sydney ? And i dont want a A9X that badly , I have seriously thought about it for last few weeks , but cant justify selling a L34 to buy a A9X and i wouldnt go into debt to own one , And i read in this forum how rare they are ,there are plenty around to buy if you know where Ask Mondie how many he could have got < I take it Fairdinkum you do own a A9X , How do you work out that a L34 only 263 made is not rarer than a car where they made at least 150 more , Dont have ago at me for wanting to find out as none of the rest of the experts here want to debate it only the fabled A9X so give other cars a go there is more models of torana than ONE , TREX

#16 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:10 PM

I think it's pointless trying to debate which one is rarer, it's obvious, there were 305 A9X sedans made against 263 L34's. As I already said, the L34 did not have a special batch of shells made for racing, so out of that 263, some were used to race, and a few were written off. The A9X however had a special batch of race shells made, so the road cars were never needed to race (although 2 did). Logic says that some of both breed were destroyed on the road, and some L34's were made up into A9X's (upgraded for racing or road use). At the last A9X Nationals there was, 1 chrome yellow, 2 Barbados green, 1 Azure blue, 1 sebring orange and one salamenca red L34's. There were 20 A9X sedans. Just because some people may think one is better than the other, it's no reason to put the other car down, both are rare cars, and very good cars.

#17 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:21 PM

Yep. just enjoy whatever we have got, be it L34 or A9X.

#18 HSVGTS

HSVGTS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Name:HSVGTS

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:34 PM

I�d love to have a L34, I like hatchbacks but there�s something tough about the sedans also.

Especially like the look of the red �L34� from Canberra [I think].

Regards�����

#19 _Fairdinkum_

_Fairdinkum_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:19 PM

Trex,i am not having a go at you,just stating my observations from your comments regarding A9X's,if anything your the one that seems to be knocking A9X's,no one said that the A9X is the only torana including me,as i said i luv the L34 but my preference would be A9X..as some people have stated their choice is L34 and thats great,
Anyway lets agree to dissagree,hope your restoration is going well''''''''''
Regards and Cheers

#20 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:20 AM

There is one word that sums us up: PASSIONATE

Its obvious to me that Racyrabbit and Fairdinkum are PASSIONATE about their Toranas, - we all are. You can sometimes mistake passion for abuse.

Lets enjoy what we have and dream of what we want.

:D :spoton: :D :spoton: :D

#21 _atlantis hatch_

_atlantis hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:38 AM

any 4 door a9xs up for grabs at the moment? not ultra more original than monster

#22 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:40 AM

There's another red 1 on australian muscle cars, be quick though the other 2 sold in about a week

#23 _ultrabluea9x_

_ultrabluea9x_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:21 AM

MONSTER.......should i take that as a compliment or???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

#24 _atlantis hatch_

_atlantis hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:03 AM

as in beast. compliments of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users