The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:45 AM

Hey Guys,

Over the last few months, I have been doing minor mods to my ute to improve on its fuel economy. Before people say "Why do you drive a V8 if you want fuel economy" I drive one because I LOVE V8's, I use it to tow, and its a great car!

The best thing about all these mods, are they also improve power! So you get the best of both worlds! Extra grunt for less $$$$$

Ok, When i first got my ute, Fuel economy was at about 15.5L/100km's (Around town avg speed about 50-60km/h). I thought that was a little bit ridiculous.

Here is a boring plastic fantastic shot of the engine bay when i got it

Posted Image

First thing I did, was give the car a tune.
- Oil Change
- New Spark Plugs
- New Leads (MSD ones are only $10 more than stock ones i found)
- New Filters

This helped to bring economy down to about 15L/100kms and the car was feeling a lot nicer to drive.

The First "Mod" - Set the Turtle Free
- The first "mod" I did, was rip off the turtle shell engine cover! Apparently the big covers can trap alot of heat over the plastic inlet manifolds, causing heatsoak and damaging economy. This is mainly a problem on hot days. Seeing I did this over winter, I noticed no real difference. But I have heard others noticing big gains by doing this.
I bought some VZ twin monaro engine covers to make the engine bay presentable, They only cover the coil packs, so heat from the Inlet manifold can kind of escape.
I found that it also made my engine actually look like an engine! No more hiding things! HAHA

Posted Image

The Second Mod - Twin 2.5" Exhaust
- The second thing i had to do. Was get this V8 sounding like a V8. The Stock exhaust was very restrictive and really did make the car sound like a V6 Commodore. So i put on a Twin 2.5" Cat-back twin system on it. Instantly I could hear the car, but it was not drony or over the top. It now has a nice growl to it and sounds nice to drive. Being a ute, i was worried it would drone. But my exhaust guy put on a really good system, and at 110k's you don't hear a thing!

This mod was the first one where i started to notice an improvement in economy, suddenly if i drove like a grandma. I could get economy down to about 14.5L/100km's. I can't say i noticed any real "power" gains... But it was a lot nicer to drive with a good exhaust. I'm sure if i strapped it on a dyno, there probably would be a 5kw gain or something like that.

The Third Mod - OTR CAI (Over the radiator, Cold Air Intake)
- Ok, The third mod is kinda mixed in with the 4th mod (Have to do them at the same time)
The OTR is a Cold Air Intake mod, It comes off the front of the Throttle Body and gets cold air directly from the front of the radiator. These are the best forms of CAI's for the VT-VZ range. To fit the OTR though, you need to remove the MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor. Its not as simple as just disconnecting it though. Your engine computer is set-up to adjust things according to this sensor. So if you disconnect it and try and drive... The car will most likely run like a bag of shit. So to match the removal of the MAF, you will need to get yourself a Mafless tune, which leads me to my 4th and final mod.
(See my garage on how i installed the OTR http://www.gmh-toran.......106&CID=15)

The Fourth Mod - Custom Mafless Tune
- I dummy fitted up my OTR, then returned it to stock to drive to my Tuner, Once i got there I bolted on the OTR and he tuned my car for me. This is the biggest increase in EVERYTHING that you will see! Make sure you tune it after all your mods, or you may be returning in the future to get things changed.
The LS1's are detuned from factory (Why? I don't know, Warranty precautions?). They have conservative Timing and A:F ratios.
There are "mail order" options for tunes, which i was going to go. But i ended up meeting a tuner who tuned my car for me. My car absolutely flies now! It is incredible! I haven't run it on a Dyno, but my tuner said going on the other cars he has tuned, Mine should be about the 230rwkw mark (Not bad considering it was 225 Fly wheel kW from factory, now it would be 300fwkW!)

The BEST thing about all this, is that fuel economy is SO much better now! Even with me "enjoying" the new found power, i have STILL managed to drop my economy to 13.5L/100km's! (This is around town btw). So if i can just drive it normally, i won't be surprised it i drop into the low 13's or high 12's! Which I think is BLOODY awesome!

Here is how my engine bay looks now as well.

Posted Image

If you have any questions or people have other tips, just post them up! I know a lot of guys on here have LS1's or LS2's and this will no doubt help them out!

Cheers

Matt

P.S Check my Garage for pics of all my mods

http://www.gmh-toran.......item&CID=15

#2 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:47 AM

Another thing,

After the exhaust mod, On my trip up to newcastle, I managed to get 9-9.5L/100kms on the Freeway using 95 United Enathol blend petrol.

All the figures above are based on 91 E10 Petrol. I am now trying to run 95 premium as i have noticed that i get heaps better economy off it (for the extra $3-4 a tank.

#3 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:51 PM

man you use some fuel,my mums cv8 averages 12.5l per 100k's just with an exhaust,it averages 16l towing a 1100kg caravan.

and my old boys gto is mid 9's and has been into the 8's on a long trip.and that has 3.9's in it and a decent cam and mafless.

my old ss ute averaged aroung 11l,and went 9.5l towing a jetski to noosa,and it made 212rwkw dead stock.(every other stocker on that dyno day could only muster 160-170kw)

there are some good threads on the ls1 forums on fuel economy.

#4 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:03 PM

Yeah, Thats were i learnt most of the LS1 stuff was from the forums over there.

I work out all my avg's from K's travelled to Petrol put in... I dont have a economy guage on the dash that i go off.

You folks economy is pretty bloody awesome mate! All depends on the type of driving though, I travel about 20km's each way to work, and i live in the Hills, so i have to go up hills first thing in the morning with a cold motor (sure that uses more juice)

Each car is going to be slightly different, If i can get the ute into high 12's low 13s ill be very happy! (My dads brand new Xtrail gets about 10.9L/100kms and we do exactly the same driving (Same work))

On the open road, i expect to see figures in the mid 8's (going on what others i know get)

#5 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:55 PM

Sounds like some good ideas, but how much are all these things costing ? would be interesting to compare the cost as opposed to the saving for say 50,000kms, even though they also give you the benefit of a performance increase...

Same thing with the E10 or premium, I think you will find the cost per kilometre will be basically the same regardless of which fuel you use..

#6 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

Ahh good point skapinad,

Engine covers - $120 (Not essential, you can just run a naked motor)

Exhaust - $500

OTR + K&N Filter (OTR is not the cheap plastic eBay ones) - $300

Custom Mafless Tune - $500 (Can get Mail order ones about that price too i think)

So all up - $1420 worth of mods.

@ a saving of 2L/100km's with Petrol at $1.50 a Litre. I would need to do 47,333km's to make back the initial costs. (Basically 3 years)

@ a saving of 3L/100km's with Petrol at $1.50 a Litre. I would need to do 31,555km's to make back the initial costs (Basically 2 years)

It all depends on the indivdiual though, and what they want to do with their car. The added power is bloody awesome! And its like having a new car again!

#7 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:56 PM

Good thread Matty, Have you noticed much of a power gain?

I've been looking at the OTR CAI's for a little while now and a mafless tune. Now I just have to convince Hayley that our SS need's an exhaust, CAI and a tune. After I've just bought a brand new crate motor for the torana, probably a good idea not to ask............ Yet.

#8 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

The power gain is unbeleivable! Stock, most LS1's have about 180rwkw... Now I am probably sitting at around 230rwkw. It is AMAZING the power gain! 50kw its nuts!

A Mail order tune mafless tune might not give you that bigga gain, but it will easily get you to 210-220rwkw i reckon! If you are running an auto, they also adjust the shift points of the box to give you a much tighter feel on the street. My car is a manual so i dont get that added benefit.

But yeah, try and sneak it pass the missus... LOL. When mine found out how much the tune cost, she was like "ARE YOU SERIOUS!!" Then i took her for a spin and she couldn't get enough of it, telling me to do skids and race off from every set of traffic lights! When i got home and asked her if the $500 was well spent, she said DEFINITELY!

#9 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

HAHAHA Yeah good stuff :spoton:

Will see how I go, My missus is similar when she comes in the torana she thinks its great but the SS just isn't the same. Ours is an auto as the missus doesn't have her manaul license, and it does feel a bit dosile sometimes, I think adjusting the shift points and a few bits n pieces might make it feel a bit nicer to drive. I'd love to have a manual in it.

#10 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

I have just bought a SSV VE ute i drove from sydney to grafton on one tank 700ks avg fuel was 8.9 per 100k car was fully loaded a/c on all the way
Today just had custom dual 3'' fitted alloy OTR mafless tune man has this thing woken up !
Will post some pics when i get home at a decent hour one of these days :cry:

#11 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

Hey MR LXSS, where did you get the OTR, I always wanted one for the gts but didnt like the cut/shut jobs of the early ones.
Just for everyones info
My average in my 300kw gts is about 17.5 but cruising up the freeway at 100 it is about 9.5-10

and evern more interesting coming down the back straigt at waneroo 90L per hundred at about 180km/h

#12 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:23 AM

I have just bought a SSV VE ute i drove from sydney to grafton on one tank 700ks avg fuel was 8.9 per 100k car was fully loaded a/c on all the way
Today just had custom dual 3'' fitted alloy OTR mafless tune man has this thing woken up !
Will post some pics when i get home at a decent hour one of these days :cry:

Bloody oath mate! That thing would FLY now!!! I have been in a VE SSV ute, and they go bloody awesome stock!

Post up some pics when you get the chance!

the gts, you have a PM mate. Hopefully i have given you some ideas to have a neat OTR set-up under your bonnet! I am all for neatness and having the "stock" look.

Is your 300kw gts an LS1? or the callaway engine? Any other mods to it? The OTR and tune could really liven up the HSV package!

#13 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:03 PM

what mods would you advise for a stock V8 VN injected motor in a LX Torana

As my fuel economy is terrible range is only about 250-300km with a std fuel tank

thanks

#14 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

with the injected 5litre i reckon some good extractors a kn filter and a decent cold air set up then get a flash tune done

#15 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:24 PM

^^ Yeah, I reckon pretty much what staind says. ^^

A tune will help with anything! They will get your A:F mixture right which will improve economy and power.

The CAI will help deliver colder, fresher air.

Extractors will help it breath.

A light right foot will help as well

#16 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:40 PM

Il get some pics up soon cruising up the F3 tonight got it down to 7.2 per 100 avg speed 120ks
Had the auto modified aswell shifts heaps quicker and harder in manual mode

#17 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:02 PM

These figures are depressing me! :cry: , our VY SS is at the 22L/100km mark around the city (Sydney), I have had it checked with the digi at both the dealership that we purchased it from and at my mates dealership, both times nothing comes up as wrong :banghead: When I get some time I was going to get a edit/tune done on the computer but I suspect that there is something else wrong apart from the engine management. Just need to find the time to look into it.

On the freeway, I have managed to get it down to 9L/100 in 6th gear at 110km. :spoton:

#18 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:59 PM

WOW 22L per 100! gotta be something wrong there or do you sit in traffic a lot?
my 17.5 is getting the foot flat to the floor a few times each drive. I do not drive around peak times though.

MRLX The engine is the callaway LS1 in a coupe. I did the 2 hole mod a while back and noticed a little bit of extra power. Other than that it is my stock standard shopping trolley, all car money goes into the torana. although a mate has a huge thumping cam in his SS ute with 505rwhp - I JUST WANT ONE!!

#19 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:12 AM

Do the OTR, and get the Mafless tune! Has the car got an exhaust as well (HSV exhaust's are better than stock anyway i think)?

I reckon she will really liven up, but the missus can still drive it, because it not a cammed up monster!

I think the HSV's have a MAF sensor that flows a little bit better as well. But loose it all together! You get a really mean induction growl from the OTR's... Its No carby, but still sounds good!

#20 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:35 AM

22l/100km!!!!! Thats unreal, gotta be something going on there for sure unless your driving it hard or stuck in traffic and doing a lot of stop n start.

Our VY SS (5.7l Auto) averages around 15l/100km around town and around 11l/100km on the highway

#21 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:13 PM

MRLX the 300kw motors are mafless from the factory, the exhaust could do with improvement though
I dont have a mrs and if i did she wouldnt be driving! By the way my mates ex mrs used to drive his 505rwkw ute no problem, it is as easy to drive as any other commodore, just sounds sick at idle and is angry enough to wake you up when you tramp it.
as I said my spare coin goes into the torana at the moment. 300kw in a gts coupe is enough to bring a smile to most peoples faces

#22 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:00 PM

Ahhh, thats interesting! Thats why people put "GTS Maf pipes" on, because they just skip the maf!

So a OTR would be an easy as bolt on mod! You would get a heap more cold air ramming down the throttle body. You would also get a heap better throttle response, because the air doesnt need to travel as far!

Exhaust will also put a smile on your face! Nothing like hearing the monster under the bonnet!!!

All up would improve economy too!

#23 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

I bought a VX 5.7 6 speed executive new build date was 1/2001

Suttons had fitted a hsv exhuast on the rear half of car which gave it a very nice note. I changed the diff to LSD and left the gears std at 3.46:1

I fitted SS Induction cold air intake.

Apart from pedders suspension, rear wing and 18" wheels my economy on a trip was 8.5l/100.

The first time I noticed economy on trip was to perisher, it showed distrance travelled 484km with 595km to empty. This was from a full tank leaving the central coast cruising at about 120kph with the odd overtaking high speed. That tank did 2 trips up and down the mountain so in the end I still avg 9L/100.

Around town I was getting comfortably 10-11L/100.

Even if i cained it I was still only using 13L/100

Maybe it was the combo of tall diff gears, exhuast and cai but I swear buy those 5.7's for excellent economy.

#24 _XU1-043_

_XU1-043_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:27 PM

You've done pretty well mate but how come you only did half the exhaust? with a set of extractors it would breathe alot better and go harder, i picked up a second hand set of HSV ones for my VX SS (5000km on them) for $200 off ebay. just a thought.

#25 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

It is alot of stop, start driving, however my Monaro would sit around the 15L/100km mark or thereabouts in the same driving conditions. I don't really give it a hard time, but I must say that when I eventually do get a chance to give it a squirt, it's fuel consumption goes down. Weird :blink:

I was speaking with a friend about it last night, and he mentioned that there are alot of hoses in and around the inlet manifold that commonly develop a small crack, and hence the rougher idle and higher fuel consumption. Either way there is a problem somewhere that needs to be found!

Will let you guys know how I go, in the event any of you come across a similar problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users