Zinc Plating in Brisbane

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

Can anyone please advise where I can get zinc plating done in brisbane, just on a couple of small parts including a master cylinder lid. I tried the yellow pages, but none of the places I tried were vaguely interested or helpful..

#2 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:32 AM

just answered my own question ! Apparently there are only 4 places in brisbane that still do zinc plating..

Metalart Co.Pty.Ltd.
95 Basalt St Geebung QLD 4034 - map
ph: (07) 3265 3866

#3 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

See if you can ask around for anyone who has had stuff done though, some places charge like wounded bulls for a less than average job. I post my stuff away now as none of the places in Sydney are much good

#4 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:03 PM

yeah quite expensive.... to get a master cylinder lid and the little arm that holds it down $50 ! it is quite rusty and half covered in chrome still... probably far too expensive, but its 2 mins from work..

#5 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:53 PM

I vaguely remember an article in SM or similar about metal plating. I am pretty sure they recommended getting a few parts to do at the same time as the cost is per "bucket" of items not number of individual items. Might be worth seeing if that is the case skapinad.

#6 _leighlh_

_leighlh_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:03 PM

you could also try Pine Rivers Electroplating I had my chrome and zinc done ther about 12months ago seamed reasonable pricing and good work.

Leigh

#7 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

yeah quite expensive.... to get a master cylinder lid and the little arm that holds it down $50 ! it is quite rusty and half covered in chrome still... probably far too expensive, but its 2 mins from work..

tight arse!!!!!

#8 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

While were going, where is about the best place in aus to get stuff chromed???

I want door handles, bumpers, headlight and tailight surrounds, as well as a few other chrome bits from my LJ done. Price doesnt really matter so long as i get an awesome job....

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:32 PM

I recommend finding some mates who need stuff done too and send in a batch

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

I thought that was a fair batch lol....

Probably think about door scuff plates, inside door locks, chrome around windows, etc etc.

Perhaps some HD parts while im going :P

#11 _xuidave_

_xuidave_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:56 PM

For zinc plating i'd have to recomend very highly " custom coatings " 21 leonard cres brendale , 3205 7099 !

I've just finished restoring my car and had a HEAP of gear done through them, i even got to the kingswood for bits for the wifes car when i get around to it. I had two big boxes for gold & silver zinc , which had a pair of hinges ,master cyl cap & clip, upper control arm pivot, lower control arm radius rod & ALL of the front and rear end of a LJ factory bolts plus other sh!t

How much do i hear for this?............ was quoted $ 88 incl but because i was pushing for a deadline hows about $ 100 !

I remember paying alot more for a smaller amount from pine rivers electroplating.

I even had my genuine "dotloc's" re-zinced NONE missing ! :clap:

So give them a bell.

D.

#12 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:36 AM

tight arse!!!!!

yeah yeah.. now I have to buy blondes instead of coronas for the weekend !

Thanks Dave, i will give them a call for future bits and pieces, got any pics of your car on here ?

#13 _xuidave_

_xuidave_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

Yeah, mate there's a few on here somewhere ! There's one of it in front of the motel room in Newcastle and it was featured on Australian muscle car sales website for the " harry's dinner & Toranafest article " .

Look for it as it's the only one there ! 13891 paint code !

D.

#14 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

Bomber..the guy in Bundy is the go...does all the Harley bikers stuff..
I did all my zinc plating at a place just under the Gateway Bridge....shouldnt be too hard to find...
R

#15 _lx-304_

_lx-304_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:18 AM

brendale is the place to go to.i have had a quote from them and they are good.only problem is they still come back really shiny like hot gal dipping.the zinc finish you are after is a cold zinc finish,which is the grey colour and am pretty sure is the original finish.it looks like a sheeet of zinc anneal.i am still trying to find someone who does this method,so if anyone knows of a place that does it,that would be great.zinc plating will dull a little,but still resembles a gal finish,and that not what i want.i need the matt finish of z/a.

dave

#16 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

Cant you just buy that kit and do it yourself.

#17 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:16 PM

Here they are...did all my nuts and bolts on the XU1...usually by weight.
R
CP Plating Pty Ltd
222a McArthur St Eagle Farm QLD 4009 - map
ph: (07) 3268 3044
send to mobile

#18 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:34 PM

just answered my own question ! Apparently there are only 4 places in brisbane that still do zinc plating..

Metalart Co.Pty.Ltd.
95 Basalt St Geebung QLD 4034 - map
ph: (07) 3265 3866

Okay so finally got the lid back. Got a call 5 days after i dropped it there to tell me they had mixed mine up with another and didnt know which was which. So i took the master cylinder down there as the other one was about 20mm shorter....turns out they had chromed mine instead of zincing it... Called him today to see where it was at. "ohh yeah its ready" so off i go again and picked it up. Shit job, to me it looks like chrome still, very shiny. I questioned that and he tells me its because its polished as well, which apparently i requested. Unhappily i paid him the reduced cost of $20.

Now I have one question for anyone who knows anything about plating. On the underside of the cap where the plating has gone, its pealing a bit, which i wont see anyway, but underneath it is a copper colour ?? Is copper used in zinc or chrome plating ?

In conclusion Metalart gets a big thumbs down...

#19 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:56 PM

I thought copper indicated chrome plating.
R

#20 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:59 PM

I thought it was chrome as well. But yeah definitely try custom coatings or q cad designs as they are now known in future. We get all our coating done through them for work. And if you come to see them there will be a black 4 door torana parked around the corner from them

Edited by AGGRO, 28 October 2008 - 02:00 PM.

#21 _xuidave_

_xuidave_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:03 PM

^^ Yep out on the street i pass it all the time , & think about driving mine when i get home !!.

D.

#22 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:53 PM

Thats not nice to describe me as an it dave. Plus i do what i can to make money

#23 _xuidave_

_xuidave_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:34 PM

Touche' Rowan touche' !!!

D.