Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:23 AM

No not me, the sedan!

I thought I'd give a bit of a run down on my cars since it has been a long time and a few forums versions ago.

I have decided that after 20+ years of driving a torana as a daily I'm going to step up into one of those new plastic fang dangle cars. Sadly it is a Commondoor but it is a SS so its sort of in line with the Torana names :)

Said Plastic� car totally stock SS VX 5.7L and well looked after by its previous owner. In my opinion it is far to quiet to be a V8, as you can hardly hear it! I best look into a different exhaust.
Posted Image

After months of pros & cons it was decided that I needed to take the sedan off the road to do the repairs and give it the tidy up that has been long over due. I also had to get it driveable so my sons could drive. As it had a fantastic security system of no one else being able to drive it. LOL :D Everyone jammed the gears or broke the clutch cable. New shifter and custom cable fixed those problems. It currently has a wiring issue, broken uni joint and urgent urgent need of tyres. Given that 13s are impossible to find, I have to resort to putting the 14in horrible wires back on, which poses the problem of they are to wide without flares.

Anyway the first week-end of retirement my eldest boy decided it was going to be his car as he gets loser licence in a couple of months. So far if it involves money for repairs and up coming rego etc it is still my car but other wise he thinks it is his. I get to keep the plates as they are going on "Plastic"� with the possibility of getting new plates "Mums car" since the torana is known as that among his mates.

The torana was moved out of the garage so "Plastic"� can be safely behind the gates. Anything not nailed down in the front yard is considered not wanted. Apparently. :furious:
Sedan and eldest son
Posted Image

Saturday night he decided he is bored so he started cleaning out the boot. Now I had to take photos of this as this is also the same child that wouldnt know what "clean" means. When I suggest he has to clean his room he is out the door. :o
Posted Image

Sunday the rear spoiler must come off to inspect the rust if any.
Posted Image

Yup found some rust but luckily it was just surface and spotto a dent also hiding under the spoiler.
Posted Image

The original plan was to take the tailshaft out and take to work get it fixed then send off to a sparky but that plan seems to be on hold until the rust is done.

I'm thinking I should have taken the ridicules offer to buy the sedan by one of the guys near work then the money could have gone to getting the Dust Collector� closer to being back on the road
Posted Image

So there you have it. :)

#2 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:51 AM

Nice story tinkers :D

I like your dust collector, looks like it is ready to go.

Regards Mick.

#3 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:19 AM

your first husband wasnt John Blackman by chance? sons head looks a little like a grown up dicky knee at first....

Yokohama still make 205/60/13 352 series

Edited by GML-31, 27 October 2008 - 06:24 AM.

#4 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:03 AM

Good work! Good story! You son looks mighty happy to be able to drive the Torry around! Well trained!

The VX SS will be a great car to cruise around! A few little mods and they can really get up and boogy!

#5 Joshua

Joshua

Lotsa Posts!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Name:Joshua

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

nice update tinks

though, someone should tell him he claimed the wrong one...

#6 _Daf_

_Daf_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:35 AM

Lol funny funny... Lets see how long the interest lasts in doing the torana with Keanu!!!

Good job on Plastic lol..What is it like to have power steering??

Daf xoxo

#7 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:18 PM

Sometimes its neccessary to buy something a bit newer.

That should do u well to get around in while you are working on the Torana.

Steve

#8 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:00 PM

Thanks Mick but photos can be deciving. the car needs painting unless crows feet is the go, wheels, brakes and a few minor things to finish it off.

Kev: He gets the Dicky Knee comment quite a lot :) Yoko might make the tyres but being on the wrong side of the world I wasnt able to find any.

Matt: I had a read of your thread looking at what you had done with interest. 2 out of 3 will be driving or owning a torana now. The 3rd has a couple more years.

Joshua: The hatch is off limits, they all know that :)

Daf: I think it will be a bit longer than you did with the LH :P The power steering LOL my torana steering muscles are wasted on Plastic.

Steve: So I am told but the torana has so much more character about it when driving. :)

#9 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:24 PM

There is a guy based out of perth that does tuning for a good price in Perth. Daniel from Chipsmaster or something? The guys on LS1 rave about him, and he has done hundreds of Mail order tunes from all over Aus!

So might be worth chasing him up!

#10 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

Well done tinks! You'll enjoy driving that best... bet the aircon is the most appreciated part so far!

#11 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

Looks like a nice new pickup!

What series is it? 1 or 2?

the early series one VX SS models were known to have oil issues and develop piston slap pre-maturely.

Most that had the problem develop were fixed, but there are a few out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users