WHICH DASH IS THAT?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 _Pink-Miss_

_Pink-Miss_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:08 AM

I'm sure someone can help me here...
We have 2 sets of instrument gauges or 2 different dashes if you like, for Pink Miss. They are both GTR dashes, but one uses celcius and the other farenheit for the temp gauge. Also, one goes up to 100mph the other 120mph.. I think they're the only differences. Is one LC GTR, the other LJ or what does a XU-1 dash look like?
Thanks for your help, Mandy :rolleyes:

#2 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:29 AM

I think only the xu-1 dash had the 120 MPH speedo.

#3 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:31 AM

Check the back of the gauges for the date stamp, 100 MPH may be 4 cylinder.

#4 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:01 AM

I'm sure someone can help me here...
We have 2 sets of instrument gauges or 2 different dashes if you like, for Pink Miss. They are both GTR dashes, but one uses celcius and the other farenheit for the temp gauge. Also, one goes up to 100mph the other 120mph.. I think they're the only differences. Is one LC GTR, the other LJ or what does a XU-1 dash look like?
Thanks for your help, Mandy :rolleyes:

Hi

Heres something I put together at some stage.

The 100 mph/160kph speedo was for the non GTR/XU-1s when full instrumentation was optioned. The GTR and XU1 variant both had 120mph speedos. The metric guages were a later '73 feature.

Posted Image

#5 _Pink-Miss_

_Pink-Miss_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:07 AM

Thanks so much Bazza - I haven't been on this forum for long, but I have already noticed you seem a bit of a guru with all things concerning these particular cars.

Your information has been very helpful - Thanks again! :driving:

#6 _gtr2600S_

_gtr2600S_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:15 AM

Hi

Heres something I put together at some stage.

The 100 mph/160kph speedo was for the non GTR/XU-1s when full instrumentation was optioned. The GTR and XU1 variant both had 120mph speedos. The metric guages were a later '73 feature.

Posted Image

Honestly Bazza, have you got too much time on you're hands, or are you just an 'all round' nice guy??

This is a fantastic response, informative and (i dare say), helpful to other forum members!

Nice work!

Edited by gtr2600S, 30 October 2008 - 11:15 AM.

#7 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

Honestly Bazza, have you got too much time on you're hands, or are you just an 'all round' nice guy??

Nice work!

Hi gtr2600S

Errm - yes and yes.

A lot of my responses are born of the fact that none of these answers were forthcoming when I raised the questions initially. As a consequence, I did the research on a lot of things and are happy to share.

Cheers

Bazza

#8 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:01 PM

Baz,
feel free to post anything you wish as Tech Articles, hehehehe.

Do all LC GTRs have Farenheit gauges or are these Brabham?

Grant..

#9 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

Do all LC GTRs have Farenheit gauges or are these Brabham?

Grant..

Hi

All Toranas used Imperial eg. Miles, MPH, PSI, Farenheit until about March 1973 then all Metric.

Bazza

#10 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

hey Bazz I have one with a printed cct back instead of wiring loom,
where does this fit into the system

#11 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

hey Bazz I have one with a printed cct back instead of wiring loom,
where does this fit into the system

Hi

As far as I can determine, the printed circuit system was used in the LC "warning lights" type cluster not "guages" type. It was dropped in the LJ series in favour of hard wires (except left hand drive export models).

Bazza

#12 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

took a while but found it in shed
printed cct brd on back and 120 mph speedo, dated 2/70 on speedo
Posted Image

Posted Image

obviously early GTR

#13 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

took a while but found it in shed
printed cct brd on back and 120 mph speedo, dated 2/70 on speedo

obviously early GTR

Hi limo

Have to agree it looks like a GTR cluster. I have double checked the parts catalogue, no mention of "Printed Circuit" (VS10715) for "Guages Cluster" but there it is.

One for the memory banks.

Bazza

#14 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:56 AM

I have the 73 XU1 dash in mine (same as the pic above) but the speedo goes to 200km/h. It does not have the conversion decal on gauge, it is a factory gauge. What did these 200km/h gauges come out in?

#15 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:33 AM

I have the 73 XU1 dash in mine (same as the pic above) but the speedo goes to 200km/h. It does not have the conversion decal on gauge, it is a factory gauge. What did these 200km/h gauges come out in?

Hi gtrtorana

If you mean the same as the '73 dash above, yes the later '73 had 0 - 200 kph but with mph scale in small lettering inside.

Bazza

#16 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

Hi limo

Have to agree it looks like a GTR cluster. I have double checked the parts catalogue, no mention of "Printed Circuit" (VS10715) for "Guages Cluster" but there it is.

One for the memory banks.

Bazza

Bazza, I think we've been tricked here. That cluster looks like a stock LC speedo & fuel gauge (printed circuit type) fitted to a GTR gauge type facia.

AFAIK there was no wiring harness which suited the GTR instruments which also had the plug to fit into the stock LC printed circuit cluster.

Dr Terry.

#17 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:20 AM

Bazza, I think we've been tricked here. That cluster looks like a stock LC speedo & fuel gauge (printed circuit type) fitted to a GTR gauge type facia.

AFAIK there was no wiring harness which suited the GTR instruments which also had the plug to fit into the stock LC printed circuit cluster.

Dr Terry.

Hi Dr Terry

I was thinking the same thing. I keep going back to the fact that there is no 'printed circuit' listed for guage type clusters. Maybe someone has tried to "jury rig" a guage cluster with standard components.

Bazza

#18 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:03 AM

Concerning 73 GTR & XU1 speedos. There is a single scale Metric Speedo (0 - 200 km/h only) that was available as a spare part from Holden - VS11190. How do I know? I bought one from Holden. When stocks of the dual scale metric/imperial (200km/h - 120mph) speedos ran out as a spare part VS11190 was what you were sold, unless you hunted around at Holden Dealerships for the metric/imperial speedo. Because VS11190 was a Holden replacement part you can't be marked wrong as long as it is in a 73 GTR or XU1.

Holden did make some GTRs in early 1974 & they may have had VS11190 fitted from the factory. Dr Terry would probably know for sure.

D.

#19 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:25 AM

Concerning 73 GTR & XU1 speedos. There is a single scale Metric Speedo (0 - 200 km/h only) that was available as a spare part from Holden - VS11190. How do I know? I bought one from Holden. When stocks of the dual scale metric/imperial (200km/h - 120mph) speedos ran out as a spare part VS11190 was what you were sold, unless you hunted around at Holden Dealerships for the metric/imperial speedo. Because VS11190 was a Holden replacement part you can't be marked wrong as long as it is in a 73 GTR or XU1.

Holden did make some GTRs in early 1974 & they may have had VS11190 fitted from the factory. Dr Terry would probably know for sure.

D.

Hi Kockum

I have a photo of a metric only GTR dash. I thought it must have been late '73 early '74. If I recall correctly, most manufacturers had the imperial/metric combo for about a year during the transition period.

Cheers

Bazza

#20 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:34 PM

Hi Kockum

I have a photo of a metric only GTR dash. I thought it must have been late '73 early '74. If I recall correctly, most manufacturers had the imperial/metric combo for about a year during the transition period.

Cheers

Bazza

No probs Bazza - always happy to contribute things I know first hand.

That book must be getting closer by the day.

Regards

D.

#21 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:06 PM

D.

AFAIK the metric only LJ speedos were fitted to cars for export only, that's why they were available as a spare part. Holden had metric only speedos back to FB, for export. I purchased one for my HG, years ago.

I think 73/74 LJ production all had dual scale (MPH & km/h) speedos, because most 1974 production LH Toranas also had dual scale speedos. LH didn't get metric only ones until late 1974, or early 1975. They wouldn't have used metric only ones in late LJ, only to revert to dual scale for LH Toranas.

1974/75 TA Toranas would have had metric only speedos, but not 200 km/h ones.

Dr Terry.

#22 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

Great info... isnt it time Bazza got something better than "forum fixture" !..... maybe "wealth of information" or "Researcher".... actually something better than that, but you get the idea. !

#23 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:23 PM

Bazza can change it himself if he so desires :D But yeah, I agree. Forum Encyclopedia or something :D

Tim

#24 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:28 PM

i thought that it was 1500 posts to be able to do that.. cool, so i only have 746 more to go !

#25 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

Dunno, I thought it was 1000...

Tim