Did my first run last night

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _UDLOSE_

_UDLOSE_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:12 AM

Well i've been a spectator for years and building my torry for almost as long. I've been itching to race something so I decided to take my bike down for a go. It's a 900 Honda CBR

My best run was a 11.94@121 and my worst run was a 12.2. The best part was on my 11 sec run I got a .009 RT which i'm very proud of. My worst RT was .200 and i didn't red light all night.

It was a real thrill especially on a bike because theres so many things to take into account. Each run I was getting more settled and starting to pay more attention to what I'm doing. I need to change my sproket ratios tho because I'm only just getting it into 3rd gear just before the line (its a 6 speed).

Posted Image

#2 _willo_

_willo_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:42 AM

Well i've been a spectator for years and building my torry for almost as long. I've been itching to race something so I decided to take my bike down for a go. It's a 900 Honda CBR

My best run was a 11.94@121 and my worst run was a 12.2. The best part was on my 11 sec run I got a .009 RT which i'm very proud of. My worst RT was .200 and i didn't red light all night.

It was a real thrill especially on a bike because theres so many things to take into account. Each run I was getting more settled and starting to pay more attention to what I'm doing. I need to change my sproket ratios tho because I'm only just getting it into 3rd gear just before the line (its a 6 speed).

Posted Image

woohoo....well done mate

#3 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

Sweet!!! How hard was it to keep the nose down?

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

Wonder if the buzz is the same on a bike as it is in a car?
Well done mate.

#5 _UDLOSE_

_UDLOSE_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:11 AM

Sweet!!! How hard was it to keep the nose down?

I was taking it pretty easy off the line thats why my times were high. I was racing a 750 of the same vintage as mine and he was killing me out of the hole but I'd hunt him down at the deep end and we'd be side by side over the line. The first few runs I was actually getting wheelspin off the line but after that I started doing burnouts which helped. I didn't touch the suspension or pressures it was drive in and drive out.

This bike is supposed to do 10.53@135MPH stock! But obviously with alot of kays on it I don't think it'll be good for that time but if I can it launching hard I reckon I can improve on my times drastically. I can't wait to get out there again (thinking about going back next week :tease: )

ALX76 - My torry should run a similer time to the bike (I reckon 11.70s is doable) but I can't see it being anywhere near as demanding - eg no clutch, only mild wheelspin probs, no wheelstands, only 2 shifts, less MPH, no tucking in for aerodynamics, no fighting the g-forces to try and get your foot up in time to shift etc.

#6 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:16 AM

Just re-read your MPH...

121MPH should see a 11.26 E.T. So you have heaps of time to improve on! Good work mate!

#7 _rookie_

_rookie_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

:spoton: on youtube I seen a vid of sum dude lifting a couple of fingers on his left hand just as he got off it and the wind got under them and riped him clean off his drag bike. I'm nervious enough when I drag in a car.

#8 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

Fantastic times, congratulations. :clap:

Thats a fast time for a car but it would seem so much faster on a bike.

Mick.

#9 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

Thats a really good time!
You going -1/+2 or something for sprockets?

Changing the sprockets would make it more prone to mono's but.
If the suspension is adjustable on the rear, maybe go a flew clicks down to helpt it squat under launching. Drop a psi or two as well on the rear tyre.

#10 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

This bike is supposed to do 10.53@135MPH stock!

Mate thats with PeeWee Gleason on it!!..
Thats pretty respectable for a streeter first time out..Well done.
R

Edited by rorym, 08 November 2008 - 11:18 PM.

#11 _UDLOSE_

_UDLOSE_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:02 AM

Thats a really good time!
You going -1/+2 or something for sprockets?

Changing the sprockets would make it more prone to mono's but.
If the suspension is adjustable on the rear, maybe go a flew clicks down to helpt it squat under launching. Drop a psi or two as well on the rear tyre.

Funny story with the sprockets. When I bought it the sprockets were #@$^%& but they were aftermarket. I went to the shop to get new ones and they convinced me that it would be far better if I went back to stock specs. So I did and it sucked big time. The gears are so tall now (does 180 in seconds ffs). It used to be awesome now its really muddy down low. I'm pretty sure it was -1 and +2. So it looks like im going to have to spend the money again. I've still got the old ones, I'm tempted to swap back to them just to see how it goes but i don't know if they'll fit the current chain though..

Thanks Rorym! I'm going to take it back down there tomorrow and have another crack at it.

Cheers
Marty

#12 _UDLOSE_

_UDLOSE_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:32 AM

I went back last night. I knocked a tenth off my pb on my first run (11.8) and then after that I got worse and worse. I think I was trying too hard. I softened up the suspension and dropped the tyre pressure but I couldn't get any traction. After doing a 4 second burnout in the water I'd roll out and nail it and i was hitting limiter frying it for a few ft. I'd go for the big launch and just light the tyre. I tried slipping it more on the last run and it was the worst run of the night. Atleast I cut one good time.

#13 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:53 AM

Marty!

Well done mate! I didnt see this thread till now :)

Heheh welcome to the world of drag racing... you runa couple of decent numbers.. and then start chasing your tail as you change stuff to go better! HA!

Shit dude... 11.8... that's absolutely screaming and it's a rush in a car! Let alone on two wheels! Your insane :)

Enjoy it mate! and be careful!!

#14 _UDLOSE_

_UDLOSE_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

Just an update. I got a new bike (Daytona 675) around july last year. First time I took it out I ran the exact same time and MPH as I did on the 900! 11.89@121MPH. I took it back a few times since and slowly been getting the times down. I took it out last week and got down to 11.28@121MPH. One run I managed to get 125MPH. I'm positive that I can get it into the 10s!

Posted Image

#15 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:33 PM

That's unreal Marty!

10 seconds is DAMN fast in a car, let alone on 2 weels!!

GREAT looking bike too!

Catch up with ya soon :)

#16 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

Marty...check ya PMs and emails...Datto and I are looking for bits.
Rory

#17 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

Sounds like a bag of fun !
I don't have the balls for that on a bike...

#18 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:49 AM

Just an update. I got a new bike (Daytona 675) around july last year. First time I took it out I ran the exact same time and MPH as I did on the 900! 11.89@121MPH. I took it back a few times since and slowly been getting the times down. I took it out last week and got down to 11.28@121MPH. One run I managed to get 125MPH. I'm positive that I can get it into the 10s!

Thats getting pretty quick for a '600' - especially if you can get into the 10s.
I ran a '98 model ZX9 a few years back - completely standard (except for a muffler) and managed a 10.33 :-)
Next time I ran it with a standard muffler and couldn't get better than 10.7 :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users