• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:54 AM

yay, my carpet arrived for Elsie (LC)

ordered on 14/10 arrived 17/11. $133.

I just got 2 reinstall heater box and check 4 leaks then i can put it all back together, i will link pics when its done.

Edited by kaz from adelaide, 20 November 2005 - 09:55 AM.

#2 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:33 AM

an attempt has been made to fit carpet, ha ha ha i thought it was gunna b simple, and i am sure it will be once i get a few answers from tru fit.
also i tried install after just coming off night shift ( i have now changed jobs, back to a sane day job ) so i will have another go. ^_^

#3 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:31 PM

is it a molded carpet? i got one recently, it fitted it ok, just had to trim the edges under the sill cover things, and once i got all the handbrake holes etc it was good.

#4 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:07 AM

Start from the tunnel and work outwards, trim the sides once it fits well over the tunnel.

Regards James.

#5 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:34 PM

I got moulded carpet a while ago, and its shit! :angry:
there are lumps all over the trans tunnel and under the heater box, you can push the carpet in and its hollow underneath! Pissed me right off...
Oh well <_<

Regards Anthony

#6 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2005 - 07:39 PM

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need someone 2 come help me install this damn carpet, not for the life of me can i do it :angry:

no matter which way i go about it it will not settle to any position that remotley looks as it should. If u have an email address i can send pics, but its just all too damn hard at the moment :(

i havent even attempted the front. i sent an email to tru fit with pics of problems, phoned to say there was an email re probs i am having and that i wanted a quick reply. well that was on the 28/11 and i have not heard from them. there is damage to the front driverside underneath where carpet obviously got stuck in the mold and has a big melted blob on it. the stitching around top edge to the front is really dodgey and doesnt attach to most of the carpet.

i would have thought that if they required info re manual or auto/ column shift or floor that there would have been a hole ready cut to fit over the geat shift, well not!!!!!!!!
on the front there is a chalk 'X' and on the back is a pressure stamped ring that obviously needs to b cut out BY ME !!! for the gear shift. (maybe santa is bringing me some scissors that will cope with this job)

i am not happy with this situation at all and i need a second opinion from someone that can come have a look.

PLEEEEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:50 PM

Kaz,

Sorry to hear it's not going well. Haven't done it, so can't comment. I knew that they didn't come cut out for the gear shift, I'd take the old carpet out, and mark the shift position on the new carpet using the new carpet as a guide (upside down would be my bet so you can mark the new carpet on the back).

Scissors, pffft, use a stanley knife or equal, just don't cut your finger or other appendages off.

#8 _jimjet61_

_jimjet61_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:28 AM

Don't cut holes just slice an X or + to fit carpet over shifter and then as someone suggested work over tunnel and out to the sides. That way if you get it in the wrong spot it doesn't matter, as a little bit of duct tape under carpet where the slice is will fix and you would never know there was ever a slice there. Do the same for the seat rails just slice down carpet where the bolts will go through. Final trimming can then be done when everything fits fine. Good Luck Jim

#9 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

I've done the job at least 5 times before. Agree with starting at the tunnel & working outwards - are you using underlay Tru-fit sell or is the factory underlay still there? I find a heat gun on a low setting is great for finishing up the job - where the carpet goes over the area of the scuff plates. You can just lightly heat up the glue on the back of the carpet and press it down on top of the steel where it needs to crease a little. Also a soldering iron is useful (when the carpet is in place) for making the seat's bolt holes.

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:42 PM

Good idea Sean, I'll keep that in mind

#11 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:37 AM

great tips guys, ta muchly.

original underlay is being used.

I dont kno if some of the problem is from it being rolled to approx 30cm when posted to me.

XXXKAZXXX

#12 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:14 AM

Some great tips there. Kaz, for the rolled up thing, use the big heat gun in the sky and stick it out in the sun for the day unrolled of course. Lock/chain up any four legged creatures in the yard first though.

#13 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:28 PM

finally a few pics, the one with the 600ml coke bottle is the damage to backing of drivers side by the stitching of vinyl heel rest patch.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:14 AM

Usually there's not that much overhang where the carpet stops near the back seat. Last LC & LJ 2doors I did there was only about 10cm overhang... Try and find the most angular section of the moulded carpet and get that in place like the ridge along the base of the rear seat and the footwells etc. Sometimes if the fit isn't 100% you can put more underlay/insulation where it needs bulking up to look even.

#15 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:53 PM

Yeah as i said, its a shit of a job, mine looks ok but im not satisfied - IT MUST BE PERFECT IF ITS ON MY TORRY! they say its moulded carpet but its not moulded to the right size and the moulded plastic underneath is tough as rocks. Next year ill have to pull it up again to fit my safety tailshaft loop so ill pack in heaps of underlay to get rid of the lumps and humps, as everyone says - start from the tunnel and work your way outwards, do the back then the front, once you get the seats and stuff in it looks ok. Also i reinstalled my heaterbox after i put my carpet back in. Actually i have some pics on my computer from when i installed it, if someone can tell me how to post them id be glad to.

Regards Anthony.

#16 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:15 AM

Kaz,

Sorry to hear it's not going well.  Haven't done it, so can't comment.  I knew that they didn't come cut out for the gear shift, I'd take the old carpet out, and mark the shift position on the new carpet using the new carpet as a guide (upside down would be my bet so you can mark the new carpet on the back).

Scissors, pffft, use a stanley knife or equal, just don't cut your finger or other appendages off.

My saviour.

Why the hell didn't i think of laying the old carpet on the new!!!!!! DOH :rolleyes:

We have the carpet in YAY YAY :rockon:

Ends up the pic b 4 of the carpet in the rear was in backwards. :furious:

Heat gun worked great on getting carpet to settle and mold around tunnel, soldering iron worked great on getting edged to grip under door sills. :clap:

The damaged section near vinyl heel panel drivers side was mostly removed thru trimming edges.

still didn't get any help from tru fit tho re my problems with install, very poor follow up.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

not 2 impressed with the joins on floor by back seat, but shit hey they r in.
Posted Image

just incase u r wondering, the sill covers I had done in black enamel thru my hubbys work, i hate the shit silver tarnished looking original ones. I did the same on the LX.

Edited by kaz from adelaide, 08 January 2006 - 11:17 AM.

#17 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:27 PM

congratulations, looks like the headache is over. New carpet is awesome for making an old car feel new, a bit like new paint. Just sucks when it starts molting after a bit of use. Have the vacuum ready!

James

#18 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:49 AM

Heya Kaz,

I can now report that I have used the Tru-fit carpet. Told the wife was doing it for her, but little did she know her car was just being used as a gineau pig. Had to change the yucky/frayed front seats, so thought may as well do the carpet at the same time.

Yup, it's not too good a fit, seem doesn't overlap enough --> too exact where the carpet joins, I'd prefer a 2-3cm overlap of carpet on carpet if in two bits (original Commonwhore is a single piece). Also bulges for seat bulgey things where about 5 cm longer than the actual bulge. Other than that, seemed to fit reasonably well, although a bit shit in places.

Not the best carpet I've seen, weave looked a bit uneven and loose close up, although looks pretty good down. Sample seemed to be way different to what I ended up with. Mentioned this to the dude I bought it from, and he said for a little more I can get other car carpet that is better quality.

Also noticed, original Commonwhore carpet is glued direct to the underlay. I pulled it off and reused, although after seperation, slightly furry underlay. Hasn't had a full day in the sun yet, will see how it settles down, and if necessary, hit it with some localised heat, particularly bulges on the trans tunnel (kids usually trample that bit).

Kids will give it a thorough testing in the next couple of weeks.

This is not a derogatory post against Tru-Fit, just trying to be as objective as I can about my findings. I don't know that any of the others are any better/worse.

I'll let you know how it travels.

#19 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:47 AM

Pat, nice to see after all those PM's we sent each other this morning you found the thread. So what was the better carpet on offer? I won't be buying crap stuff.

#20 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:48 AM

we got it to settle over trans hump using a heat gun, worked a treat. I guess now looking back for the price it wil do the job. I would not use it for a daily driver carpet tho.

also never had and aftersales contact from them at all re my emails and phone call saying i was having problems.

#21 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:47 PM

If I pay good money for a product, I expect it to fit properly WITHOUT me mucking around with it for hours.

#22 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:58 PM

Chopper, don't know. Ring Andrew at Canberra Auto Parts, he's an XU-1 owner.

#23 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:24 PM

Sorry Pat, I don't have a Canberra Yellow Pages handy.

#24 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:09 PM

Just for everyone's information, i used tru-fit and was extremely dissapointed with their service. It took 15weeks to recieve my carpets (after a follow up phone call twice a week) and i had the same prob as KAZ, it wouldnt sit flat and looked disgusting. I too called them up for assistance and some answers with the famous tru-fit line "We'll call you back".

I would never use tru-fit again.

Keith

#25 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

Anyone tried Knox Autocarpets then?

i think theyre similar to tru-fit might be better carpets though. i dont know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users