Mini Tubs

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#26 _scottya!_

_scottya!_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:24 PM

RIM, some people dont have the time and patience to do fabrications to their own cars. I myself fall into that catagory and prefer to let the appropriate
people in the know how, to do my tubs. Craigs quality work, out weighs the amount of money and time saved by doing it myself.

#27 _NURVUS_

_NURVUS_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:56 PM

Sorry to keep thread stealing.
Anyone done them themselves? I don`t think it looks too hard.
Cut out old wheel tub, fab new one weld in, adjust rear seat, viola!
No?
M.

Basically yes but remember your shock mounts are on the original wheel arch/tub and mini tubbing to the subframe means moving springs aswell so you'll have to fabricate new shock and spring mounting points, usually coil overs in this case on the inner sides of the subframe to the diff to allow a maximum size tyre from 1/4 panel to subframe. 1/4 panel can be pumped out for an even wider tyre and if fitting a tall tyre you'll have to stretch the 1/4 panel which means cutting vertical strips from front and rear of the panel, moving them wider and adding a piece in the middle due to the odd shape of LC LJ 1/4 panel wheel arches.. if that makes sense.
With the tubs, we personally went for strength to satisfy the engineer and welded a small panel over the factory reinforcements up inside the wheel arch so that we could drill a hole through the new tub and plug weld the two together. Most guys just put the new tub in and weld the edges where they can which is fine aswell, and seam seal or sikaflex the tub to the 1/4 panel.
It's basically a lot of measuring and cutting to suit your new tyres... and patience.

#28 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:14 AM

I have done my own with rear chassis for LX. not hard if your a half decent welder and handy with a grinder, it is quite time consuming though. if it is only costing 2k, pay the money. my rear end cost about $1300 just in parts

#29 _scottya!_

_scottya!_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

my point exatly GTS, it will take craig a few days to do tubs and tin work on my LX Sedan and modify the fuel cell to suit. You dont save much doing it yourself. 2k , job done by the pro's, no mess to clean up, do the sums.
Any updated pics of your tub work GTS ?

#30 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

to fit a 28 inch tyre you have to fit a bigger diameter tub.

Here are my mini tubs, done in my shed and cost time Had no idea now to do but 98% done. I try a 275/28/15 on 8.5 rim and width wise it would have fit.

Best price i got was $2500, engineer told me i done a better job

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 _OLC383_

_OLC383_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

Lakeside,
how did you sepperate the shockie mount away from the main support,& are they a different set of tubs, not the originals from your own vehicle, im interested as im looking at doing this to my LC, the job looks well done & you've kept the original shape on the shoulder which will make it look more original & harder for the cops to defect it

#32 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:54 AM

scott
did your car go in today for tub surgery

Lakeside
well done but yeah to run a 28x10.5 i need square shouldered tub with a bigger radius and stretched wheel arch

Edited by gtr-xu1, 01 December 2008 - 09:56 AM.

#33 _scottya!_

_scottya!_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

gtr-xui, car is firmly booked in 8th dec @ his new shed. What date your going down ?

lakeside, nice looking tub work, did you have to move the chasis rails inwards ? Had a look at a set of tubs done like that at a race car fabrication place here in brissy, the bloke would of been a better butcher than a fabricator, it was a mess.

When i get tubs done i will post up some pics

#34 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

OLC383, the tubs come from another car.

Scottya, i cut the lips off the rails, then molded the new tubs and the rails fo they fitted. i had no idea want i was doing, just took my time and have most of the right tools

#35 _LJP51_

_LJP51_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:31 PM

Hey mate i know u got it booked in butid recomend craig at extreme neday, he's the only person il let touch my torana,i also have an lj 2door with an rb30et in it, craig did the tubs in my car as well as exhaust, piping, manifold, roll cage, etc and it will be going down to get the body work done in the new year, aswell as my diff shortened again, theres nothin he cant do realy lol and you wont be dissapointed with the work as he is one of the neatest welders around.
id put up some pics of his work but i dont have ne at this point in time.
Stefan

Edited by LJP51, 06 December 2008 - 12:34 PM.

#36 _scottya!_

_scottya!_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

Hi LJP51, Thats why i recommended craig, his quality of work is A1. I found him a couple of years ago and he is the only person i let do work on my torana.

#37 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

LJP51 i want pics!

#38 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

Keep us up to date with the progress as im thinking, i need bigger wheel tubs in my LC & was wondering who to take it to, im currently running a 26 x 8.5/14" M/T slick behind an alloy headed 383 small block chev which has ran a best of 10.44 @ 144mph & really need to go bigger in the tyre department, looking for something around 28 x 10"

Tubs are done, heres a update. Took car to Extreme engineering
Day one rear quarters and standard wheel tubs all removed
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Day two
both inner wheel tubs rolled and welded into the car and passenger side wheel arch rewelded in (stretched 120mm)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Day three
welding off drivers side wheel arch and rust repaired in lower rear quarter and spare wheel well. and seam sealed
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

28x10.5 ET slick on 15x10 alumastar

cars still there as now getting chro-molly cage and adjustable chro-molly rear control arms

EXTREME ENGINEERING 0412432546

#39 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:28 AM

its looking real good jamie, gotta be happy with that....

#40 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:00 AM

Looking sweet mate
Is that a tow bar i can see? lol

#41 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:12 AM

no bart i think its a parachute mount lol. was gunna leave the tow bar fitted for a laugh but recon ill remove it

#42 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:01 PM

no bart i think its a parachute mount lol. was gunna leave the tow bar fitted for a laugh but recon ill remove it

Funny buga :D

#43 _scottya!_

_scottya!_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

Hi Jamie, I didnt realise that was you at craigs yesterday when i walked in to collect my fuel cell. Adjustable arms come up sweet.

#44 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:18 PM

i didnt know either

#45 _NURVUS_

_NURVUS_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:17 AM

Lookin good mate, keep us updated.

#46 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

cage is done
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
new control arms are in sitting the tyre more central in the guard
Posted Image

#47 _scottya!_

_scottya!_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

looking really good jamie, he does a really neat cage.

#48 _OLC383_

_OLC383_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:56 PM

looking really good jamie, he does a really neat cage.

Where abouts in Brissy is Extreme locateted as im looking for someone to mini tub my LC & his work looks good also whats a rough going price for a set of mini tubs nowadays, ive modified mine once before but i need to go bigger this time & i aint that experienced

#49 _scottya!_

_scottya!_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

BEATTIE Rd,
Acherfield

EXTREME ENGINEERING, CRAIG- 0412432546

Ring him and tell him want you want and he will give you a round about price.
Nice bloke to do business with aswell.

#50 _NOGEN 3_

_NOGEN 3_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

cage is done
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
new control arms are in sitting the tyre more central in the guard
Posted Image

So, whats the break down of cost for the tubs, wheel arch extending and the cage install?
Top job btw.... :spoton:

Edited by NOGEN 3, 30 December 2008 - 09:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users