LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:05 AM

Here are some pics of my new custom fabricated extractors for my 383 Chev Torana. Thought I would snap some pics of them with their fresh HPC coating, as no doubt once the new engine is broken in, they will probably dull off. Almost too good to put back on the car I reckon...

FYI: The extractors are 1-3/4" prim into 2" sec into 2-1/2" collectors.

I call this first pic the "Jigsaw Puzzle Mess". Everything was built with flanges and slip-joints, to allow for easy fitment & removal with the engine and everthing else still bolted in place....

Posted Image

These next 3 pics show the passenger side pipes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's a shot to show everyone that the HPC coating is done on the inside as well:

Posted Image

Driver's side pipes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Quick shot of my 3 inch dumpers! These will bolt up after the mufflers and dump just before the diff (eg. for car events, drags etc). For general cruising, they will be bolted off so I can put my tailpipes back on instead.

Posted Image

And here we have the finished product:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This last shot shows I could also bolt the dumpers on after the extractors if running open pipes (now that would sound sweet!):

Posted Image

Cheers,
Brett.

#2 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:31 AM

Should look great when they are installed Brett! Look forward to those pics too. :D

#3 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:53 AM

So the last pic is what we can expect at Heathcote Brett???

#4 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:50 AM

Very Very Nice :spoton:
You have stalled my project again! lol
After looking at the finish on those pipes I am just gonna have to take mine off and get them done. I was loosely contenplating it, but wow! they really look great and i may as well do it before i get it on the road or it will never happen.
Cheers Brett and put more pics up when they're fitted.

#5 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:46 AM

You're right mate, sure looks nice and pretty. Did you get some bolts done as well, or is it the captive nuts on the flanges I can see?

Peace,

Edited by Liam, 03 March 2006 - 07:47 AM.

#6 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:02 AM

Cheers all, yes I'm very happy with the finish of the HPC. Even though they had been painted with high temp black paint, it was already peeling off and rusting up. HPC's the only way to go I reckon. I'm just very nervous about killing the finish when I break my new cam in, let's hope they don't get too hot.

knoath - If I make it to the Heathcote drag day, I will probably try a couple of passes with open pipes, why not! We gotta make lots of noise there right! But my car normally seems to run better with my system fitted, feels a lot sharper. But we'll see what happens both ways...

ChiaLX - hahaha sorry mate. But you won't regret it!

Liam - yep I had all the bolts and captive nuts done. It was only an extra $1 or $2 per bolt so I thought do it for sure. Looking back, I should have also sent them my header bolts, didn't even think about them, d'oh!

:rockon:

#7 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:59 AM

a work of art! you could hang them on the wall in the shed or the lounge room, haha imagine what the other half would say!

A1

#8 _Perth Brake Parts_

_Perth Brake Parts_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:00 PM

Sexy
Who made the pipes for you ?
I think I need some slightly bigger primaries than the Tri-Y's I have
1 3/4 has been recommended

#9 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:59 PM

Hey Brett, you wont have to worry about the pipes running the new cam in because when you put it on the engine dyno you can put some other ones on for the 1st 20 minues. Thats assuming you are going to run it in and tune it on the dyno. Worth every cent. What's and extra few bucks on the total bill to know that its run in properly and tuned. Plus you can find out the exact flywheel Hp and Torque.

#10 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:21 PM

Changing extractors for 20 mins running seems a tad extreme for me. Each to their own though :)

Cheers
Herne

#11 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:48 PM

They look great, multipiece is the only true way to make working on your torana a breeze, although with all the joints your going to have to cross your fingers you dont get any exhaust leaks.

You cant win, make em 1 piece and there a shit fight to work around, get in and out. Make them multipiece and there a breeze to work around and remove but they will leak.

Gotta love that HPC, looks great before you install them, then its tears when you scratch them getting them in the car.

#12 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:51 PM

Sexy

If your making a good 450HP and over 400Ft/lbs of TQ go the 1 3/4", if not stick with 1 5/8" what you dont make up for in HP you will gain in low down TQ.

Besides the 1 5/8" give you that little extra room, less chance of pipes fouling.

If you want to gain extra HP, dont go the 1 3/4" primary, enlarge the collector to 3". You will gain more from the collector to the tips by going larger then by increasing primary size and running smaller collectors.

#13 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:11 PM

I had better add, I love the look of those - real class.

It's nice to be able to spend the big bucks and finish the job off professionally.

As stated above hope you don't have trouble with future exhaust leaks but seeing as they are easy to remove (something else I didn't realise) I guess any leaks can be easily fixed.

Cheers
Herne

#14 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

Sexy

If your making a good 450HP and over 400Ft/lbs of TQ go the 1 3/4", if not stick with 1 5/8" what you dont make up for in HP you will gain in low down TQ.

Besides the 1 5/8" give you that little extra room, less chance of pipes fouling.

If you want to gain extra HP, dont go the 1 3/4" primary, enlarge the collector to 3". You will gain more from the collector to the tips by going larger then by increasing primary size and running smaller collectors.

I have jet hot tri-y's which I think are 1 5/8"
I have plugged some #'s into the desktop dyno and my expected theoretical HP is under 450 (just)
So I might stick with what I have I guess and chop off the small collectors and fit larger ones as you say.
Its a streeter not a track car so the torque is more important to me.

PBP is my work alter ego..... hence this post from me.

#15 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:47 PM

dattoman stay with the 1 5/8 pipes they are the best size on the street the amount of torque lost going to 1 3/4 is quite alot ive experienced the change on my mates 350 it pulled way harder with the smaller pipes,dont take everything to literatly from the desktop dyno programs use it only as a rough guide use common sense the rest of the way and you will have a good combo,
ps. with the dyno program its too generous with power on lobe separation always go 2 degrees tighter than the program recommends eg:if 112 is best go 110,
also you have to correct the power if using a dual plane manifold take off 30 horsepower if using a single plane manifold take off 50 horsepower,this will be your real world power figures.
beleive me ive done alot of testing with these programs we have backed up our testing with dyno tests and flow tests on quite a few engines, if you want to know anything more about the programs pm me. sorry for the highjack

#16 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:49 PM

by the way LX CHEV awesome lookin pipes :spoton:

#17 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:02 PM

Dattoman/PBP - They are the handy-work of Exhaust Worx in Bayswater, Vic. Bloke called Les. All he does is custom stuff, he loves it.

Also - just to comment - my very first set of of Tri-y's were also 1-5/8" primaries and only 2" collectors. The car still went awesome, made heaps of power & torque, and still ran 11.99 down the quarter. Just goes to show what can be achieved.

draglc - I like your idea of hanging them on the wall. Imagine sitting in the lounge-room and looking up to them! Now that's what I call serenity! hahaha

LX406 - As tempting as it is mate, I don't think I'm going to put the fresh donk on the engine dyno after all. Cash is real tight again now (credit card is beginning to warm up my pocket, don't really want to get it glowing red). And my engine guy said he wouldn't bother for this type of engine. Also, I'm pushing hard to make the forum drag day, so every single day counts now, I just don't have the time! It would be nice to get the Hp/Torque figures though, but if I did, I would want my extractors bolted on and not another set, so it kinda brings me back full circle anyway (with regard to not killing off the HPC coating)...... Who knows what I'll end up doing!!!!

As for exhaust leaks - hopefully that never becomes an issue. Only time will tell. I will be assembling the slip joints with the high-temp red exhaust goo.

#18 _ultrabluea9x_

_ultrabluea9x_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:23 AM

Bret nice spaghetti you have there ,
dynoed yet?
whats the results?

#19 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:36 AM

Howdy Glenn. It's spaghetti alright! hehe. I still hadn't had the car dyno'd with these pipes prior to pulling everything apart for the rebuild. I should be picking up the freshened donk early this week, so hopefully it might get fired up before the long weekend, which means I can go cruising to break it all in. Will then have it dyno'd before the Heathcote forum drag day - I can't wait to see the results, getting a bit nervous to tell you the truth. My engine made huge power with my 4-into-1's, so I'm not sure how much to expect with these Tri-Y's. We have changed my combo now too though - so there won't be any comparisons, but I just hope it puts down some good grunt. I will let you know how I go mate.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users