help!! My bonnet wont fit!!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 _jdss57_

_jdss57_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

hi all, well i have just got my front end back from the panel shop and i bolted everything back on.. but the bonnet wont fit as the injected 5L is sitting up too high... i have used hq engine mounts and i tried jacking the gearbox right up.. still no luck.... has anyone come across this before...i really dont want to cut a big hole out of my nice shiny bonnet.. also the drivers side bank seems to be sitting a little higher.. is this normal??

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

What a shame... it looks like you'll have to fit a twin throttle body setup on there to make it even higher and stick it all out of the bonnet.

lol, try and get in contact with 'EFI-57L'; he hasn't cut the bonnet and he's got an identical setup. It's a clean LH in Devil Red from memory, with big five spokers on there. Someone on here is bound to know him...

#3 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

did you try v8 torana engine mounts? my guess is they are lower for the smaller engine bay compared to a hq's. Im no expert though

#4 _jdss57_

_jdss57_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:07 PM

Dont laugh heath... i'm seriously thinkin about buying a mates 6/71 blower thats set up for a 5L efi...just need to wait for the bank account to recover a bit first... then i might have to cut the bonnet slightly :D

#5 _jdss57_

_jdss57_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:09 PM

yeah does anyone know if the torana v8 mounts are the same as hq.. everyone i have spoken to said they are the same....even still i cant see how i can go lower the sump is already close enough to the x-member..

#6 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:25 PM

then i might have to cut the bonnet slightly :D

might as well not have a bonnet :P

#7 _jdss57_

_jdss57_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:57 PM

here are a couple of pics..
what do you's think? is the motor laying back too far.. i have already had to modify the tunnel.. dont think the box can come up any higher..
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:00 PM

motor does look like its laying back to far imo. what type of box?

#9 _jdss57_

_jdss57_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:02 PM

its the turbo 700 auto from the bommadore... surely someone here would have put one in..

#10 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:51 PM

Have you actually tried the bonnet? i know my 308 looks like its too high but fits of course. The engine seems to be in the right position there isn't much room at the back even in my car.

#11 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:59 PM

to me that engine looks like its on a huge angle.
tailshaft woes :(

drop the engine mounts and lift the box mounts if possible

#12 _jdss57_

_jdss57_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:08 PM

i have already looked at the tail shaft and had string lines goin everywhere.. from memory there must be at least 2 degrees? for proper universal movement/lubrication. so far that is all ok.. the box cant go any higher or the top hits the tunnel (only about 1/2" of room) and i cant see the engine mounts dropping at all because the sump is only about 1/2 inch off the crossmember..
i did try the bonnet and it touched on the covers. i've got a bit more movement at the g/box now but so i'll wait till tomorrow and get a mate to help put the bonnet back on and see how we go..

#13 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:46 PM

that engine is on way too much angle. I have seen a few injected motors in torries and haven't seen any sitting like that however i dont know if they were running the same box. most were running turbo 350's by memory.
I think the box or box mount is your problem. As far as i know the injected block and aspirated blocks are similar so should sit the same (angle wise) that is.
I think someone has actually mentioned on this forum that you have to re-work the tunnel (nice way of saying cutting and shutting) on a totana to fit a turbo 700 box in as they are very wide and dont fit right.
I am sure someone has done this and can steer you in the right direction. I think the problem is with the box. Good luck.

#14 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:49 AM

Weird. Torana engine mounts are very different to the HQ mounts, bolts go through the centre on Torana mounts, where as HQ ones are off to the side. Personally, I'd be trying the Torana mounts.

Have you tried sitting the bonnet on, as it curves up in the middle, i.e. can't judge by running a string line across the bay.

#15 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:32 PM

Either cut a hole through the bonnet, make the engine mounts lower, or smack the bonnet with a hammer! :rockon:

*Liam

#16 _tj81_

_tj81_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:22 AM

Either cut a hole through the bonnet, make the engine mounts lower, or smack the bonnet with a hammer! :rockon:

*Liam

Sounds like something Rod Hadfield would say !

My 2c, Try the torana engine mounts first.

If that dont work, issue is definately related to the tranny.

#17 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:57 AM

Either cut a hole through the bonnet, make the engine mounts lower, or smack the bonnet with a hammer!  :rockon:

*Liam

Sounds like something Rod Hadfield would say !

How true is that statement !!!

that man is definately a hotrodder....

#18 _jdss57_

_jdss57_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

i ended up sorting it out (few more tunnel mods to get the g/box higher). also found out that hq mounts are exactly the same as torana ones.. i hear what your sayin about crs. a rang em up to ask for advice with their x-member... i think i was stupider after listenin to them.. :huh:

#19 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:18 PM

i think i was stupider after listenin to them.. 

AAHaaaaHaHaaaaHaaa.

Same here - every time.

#20 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:27 PM

Hi there guys
HQ mounts are the way to go but i think u will find 1 of the mounts are lower not sure which side but you need to aquire 2 x smaller of the 2 mounts.
As for the box its sitting down too low which is forcing the front of the motor up.
cheers Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users