Recaro Seats

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _ChevedLX_

_ChevedLX_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:07 PM

Hi all,
I am looking for any information for making or buying front seat bases to fit Recaro front seats to my LX. I have seats with runners but as the original Torana seat bases have a slight curve in them they don't match up.

Any help will be much appriceated.

#2 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:24 PM

You'll need to check with the rego authorities in your state but the easiest way is to use the original runners and get a thick plate of steel - a plate big enough to cover the area of the recaro seat and the torana's original runners. You cut it to size and bolt it using high tensile bolts & nuts to the runners, then mark out the mounting holes for the recaros on the same steel and drill out the holes in the steel. Then just position the seats onto the plate and bolt up from underneath the steel plate. The above way may or may not be legal, it's best to check.

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:32 PM

Nathan recently stuck some Recaros in his UC and I think he used the original runners which is the way to go. He can probably help you out if need be. His old forum name was "T0rana" (I think) but I'm not sure what his new one is, PM me if you have any trouble finding him.

Edited by Heath, 20 November 2005 - 03:34 PM.

#4 _ChevedLX_

_ChevedLX_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:38 PM

Thanks Flamenco
As far as I know this will be legal as long as i use the correct thickness steel. The only concern i have is with the Torana seat bases having a slight curve in them and the Recaros being flat. I have seen "custom" i think flat bases for them and this is what i would prefer.

#5 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:32 PM

You could always make some spacers to stop the steel wanting to curve. I've done it this way before with no problems (using Saas seats though).

#6 _EXLXSL_

_EXLXSL_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:44 PM

I have gone the Recaro route too - excellent and super comfy seats. I kept the standard seat runners and made up a set of brackets which are welded to the flat angled runner mount that came with the seats. Made a 19mm spacer (square tubing - whatever it's called - RSJ, HSS, RHS is all Greek to me) at the back to take up the curve. Used 3mm X 70mm flat bar to make a H pattern (which is sideways) - front and rear bolt to the the original runner bolt holes and the seat adjuster is bolted to the cross piece in the H.

If your Recaros came with runners as mine did, I used a part of the seatbelt anchor to make up the seat adjuster lever - using the bolt and spacer so it swivels - fashioned and drilled to take the original springs and cut up the seat adjuster lever to the right length. I did weld a stop on the driver's side as it is easy to move the lever the wrong way if you try to adjust the seat. Thought about that too late to do it to the passenger side.

I think most states are fine with seats if you use the original runners, steel is thich enough and bolt to the original place in the floor. By not hacking up the standard runners you can refit the original seats at any time if needed. If I ever sell my car I'll be keeping the seats unless the price is right. But at the moment, that's not going to happen.

I'm one of the guilty that didn't take any step by step photos - but I did start by doing the passenger side to nut out how to over come the curve. Take your time and you'll have no troubles. I did bolt the seat in a few times to make sure it was centred, sitting square and the fore/aft adjustment was adequate.

#7 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:22 PM

i have a saas seat in mine. i just used the runners that came with the seat, and cut some bits of thick wall steam pipe to the right lengh, and put these under the runners. use long bolts and wala, think of it as putting lots and lots of washers under the seat to level it out. rego guy didn't have a drama with it, blueplated it in an instant.

#8 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:51 AM

I've had Recaro's in my LX for over 10 years, the bases came from Recaro agents in Sydney. They bold directly to the floor mounts with no problems to height or movement at all. They also look pretty good.

#9 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:22 PM

I had an LX Hatchback with a 427 Chev some years ago- I had Recaro Seats fitted which were great.

In Adelaide Roman AutoTech are the Recaro dealers speak to them. From memory the seat frames were manufactured from square tubular steel.

Hope this helps :blink:

"Cheers"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users