Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX 5000

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:49 AM

05Torrie -- it's the only one he had or knows of.
If you like i will get the old girlfriends name and see if any more were taken as there may be one with a plate -- small world down there and it's only a phone call away 30 year old long shot but it's worth a go
RED would you have a photo of the four door it may be.
Cheers D

#27 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:52 AM

D post

Edited by Swarbs, 12 December 2008 - 08:54 AM.

#28 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:00 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

IXT-375

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 05Torana

05Torana

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Swarbs,

So close but yet so far!

Cannot believe how difficult finding information on the four door has been considering it was a promotional car.

All the information available was mainly on the hatchbacks

I agree that the car did have Vic Rego plates starting with IXT.

If your mate could ask his ex for any possible photographs that even her father may have taken whilst he was promoting the vehicle would be appreciated.

#30 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

Fly again...
when were those ads in the paper for the cars for sale ??
guessing some time ago.
and are the actual pics of your car ??

#31 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:48 PM

G/Day Obey 1
Around the late 80,s early to mid 90,s i think. Top 3 pics are of when i owned it, bottom pic is how it is today. A collector in Sydney owns it now. IXT-375
B.

#32 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

[quote name='05Torana' date='Dec 12 2008, 07:53 PM' post='351857']
Thanks Swarbs,

So close but yet so far!

Cannot believe how difficult finding information on the four door has been considering it was a promotional car.

All the information available was mainly on the hatchbacks

i know what you mean 05torana, i cant find anything on my 214 code l34 except it was the only one. i should be happy i suppose but it means nothing without knowing some history. good luck, it looks like you will find your history. no one even knew mine existed.

#33 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

Have hit the first brick wall
The H and R Wills blokes name was Smith (it bloody had to be didn't it)
Girlfriend had no brothers (So that doesn't help)
She married an Indian man, as in cricket Indian (who's name is probably Singh)
Have rung all the Smiths with the right first iniitial in Glenorchy and none know of the one we need
I love work phones
Tim will inqire further with the Tazzie conections
Cheers D

#34 05Torana

05Torana

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

Thanks Swarbs,
Appreciate your efforts, as I said previously their has to be somebody out there who has done what Tim has and taken photo's of the car at one stage or another. I would also think that like the two doors, the car would have been advertised for sale when it was retired from its promotional duties.

Chrome Vella,
Just a long shot and someone else has probably mentioned it to you but I do remember what seemed to be an L34 Promotional car in the hands of Harry Firth and Colin Bond when they where travelling to Phillip Island for one of the Manchamp series in the Torana SLR5000 (L34) dvd (one of the trilogy).
It also showed the registration number for memory!

#35 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:31 PM

Thanks Swarbs,
Appreciate your efforts, as I said previously their has to be somebody out there who has done what Tim has and taken photo's of the car at one stage or another. I would also think that like the two doors, the car would have been advertised for sale when it was retired from its promotional duties.

Chrome Vella,
Just a long shot and someone else has probably mentioned it to you but I do remember what seemed to be an L34 Promotional car in the hands of Harry Firth and Colin Bond when they where travelling to Phillip Island for one of the Manchamp series in the Torana SLR5000 (L34) dvd (one of the trilogy).
It also showed the registration number for memory!

thanks for that, but not the car. my rego is lyx--- and has always been yellow. according to gmh customer service it was realeased from gmh on 6/75. 11mths after build date 22/7/74 and first rego was 10/9/74. pretty sure it is the oct 74 wheels cover car, but no rego plates on the pictures so i cant confirm either way.

#36 05Torana

05Torana

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:46 PM

Chrome Vella,

It looks like we have something in common!

#37 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

Thanks FLY AGIAN..
Pretty sure that was the car at the 1st Muscle car masters...Massive rubber on the rear from memory.
Has always been a dream of mine to have a hatch painted in war paint..perhaps one day !!

#38 _LXXXIV_

_LXXXIV_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

There may have been an extra sedan and four hatches, however, the only ones used specifically by HDT and Marlboro were the ones I described. The aditional sedan may have been used in the same fashion as the third hatch I described and been used by Holden rather than HDT and Marlboro. I have seen the paperwork from both tasmanian cars and all the codes etc are the same, the paintwork was also completed by the same person. I know the two HDT hatches were Vic rego IXT-374 and IXT 375 and I think the sedan was IXT 373 from memory but I'd have to double check that. The thrird hatch from memory was used in SA.

Hi again RedA9X,

I was reading through our threads and wondered if you had the oppurtunity to double check the four door IXT 3?? that you refered to?

Again your assistance is much apprciated. :spoton:

#39 _LXXXIV_

_LXXXIV_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

Note: when you save this picture and zoom in on it you can see roll cage above 70's hair do. 100 % no question.

Question = if south australian ex promo car did / does not have a roll cage, what does this mean??

Attached File  JPEG.jpg   21.87K   95 downloads

#40 _LXXXIV_

_LXXXIV_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:41 AM

Thankyou Swarbs for your continued assistance.

Hopefully we uncover this little mystery?????

:spoton:

#41 05Torana

05Torana

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:55 PM

Just a thought LXXXIV, viewing that photograph again the other thing that stands out is the black door handles that they used on the A9X instead of the chrome handles on the L34 and would mean it is more than likely an A9X promotional car rather than the L34 that was upgraded to A9X specs.

#42 _LXXXIV_

_LXXXIV_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:14 AM

You would think there would have to be more than 1 photo from the late 70's of a four door A9X out there?????? :tease: :fool: :cry:

GM and or MHDT must not have been all that good at promoting there promotional vehicles if there is only 1 old private polariod out there???? :ZZZ:

can anyone post any 4 door promo pics???

:spoton: :clap: :spoton: :rockon:

thx

#43 _LXXXIV_

_LXXXIV_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:35 PM

by chance anymore on this thread?

anyone?

:cry:

#44 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:21 AM

Tim is still in Taz
I spoke to him a couple of days ago and no luck yet
I think he is due back on the 12th
Will ring him again today and see how things are going
- D

#45 retired308

retired308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:57 AM

just a thought, have you contacted the ciggy company ho. think now they are british american tobacco co?
what about other reps who worked in tas at the time, would have been a few. did the car tour the state when here.
were any posters put up around the car, give aways etc, when on display.
i worked for rothmans, and have/had lots of old yacht, winfield etc car stuff collected over the years,
the ciggy people new how to spend on promos stuff, have you tried local collectors of that type of gear,
car memorabilia nuts might have a pic somewhere.

might be a pic or file in the corporate office even still.
contact the blokes at symmons or baskerville raceways here, marlboro might have had a track day for customers at the time.
the mercury or examiner newspapers surely would have a story or pic of it in archives section maybe. place an ad asking for pics here sure you find some leads.
hope this might help.

#46 _LXXXIV_

_LXXXIV_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

all good stuff to follow up on, I'll give it a go.

who knows?

#47 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

Drawn a blank this end -- trouble is finding the people who would know after 30 odd years
Good luck with the other leads -- we know the 4 door was there
D

#48 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

hi guys, i've been reading this thread with much interest and i hope this helps a little...i spoke to joe felice today and told him about the thread and asked him about the promo cars , he said there would have been no more than 5 cars which would have inc. the 4 door. all the cars were owned by holden and were directly controlled by joe as part of the promotional dept. even though hdt had access to them....he will have a think about whether or not there were any others that may have been introduced at some stage............cheers laz

#49 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

hi guys, i've been reading this thread with much interest and i hope this helps a little...i spoke to joe felice today and told him about the thread and asked him about the promo cars , he said there would have been no more than 5 cars which would have inc. the 4 door. all the cars were owned by holden and were directly controlled by joe as part of the promotional dept. even though hdt had access to them....he will have a think about whether or not there were any others that may have been introduced at some stage............cheers laz

i am sorry to butt in on the promo a9x deal but, sagman would you be so kind to ask Joe Felice about my 214 code promo l34 its chrome yellow and was owned by gmh for 11mths. apparently there was only ever one 214 dealer code l34. build date 22/7/74 first rego 10/8/74 vic reg LYX--- cheers gary

#50 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:16 PM

i am sorry to butt in on the promo a9x deal but, sagman would you be so kind to ask Joe Felice about my 214 code promo l34 its chrome yellow and was owned by gmh for 11mths. apparently there was only ever one 214 dealer code l34. build date 22/7/74 first rego 10/8/74 vic reg LYX--- cheers gary

next time i talk to joe i'll ask him for you gary....laz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users