speedo not workin with supra 5speed?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _blown350_

_blown350_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:44 PM

hey iv just come back from canberra to look at a torana im thinking of buying. the guy has a supra 5 speed behind a 308 but the speedo dosnt work, i was told its missing the cable from the box to the speedo? i dont know much bout it... how big a job is it to fix and how much $$$$$$$$$$$ ??? any advice would be appreciated. also the box sits pretty low, i was told it is a twin turbo alloy case and the single 3 inch exhaust sits under it but its really low? how have people with similar setups plumbed the exhaust?

Edited by blown350, 05 March 2006 - 04:50 PM.

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:17 PM

dellow should be able to supply a cable for under $100, and fitting it wouldent be to hard.

#3 _blown350_

_blown350_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:58 PM

also how do i tell what type of supra box it is? i was told its a 'heavy duty supra 5speed' ?

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:05 PM

i assume they mean the turbo supra jobbie, the r154 i think it's called. it will be substancialy bigger than a normal supra box. i don't have any picks bu ti'm sure some people will.

#5 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:45 PM

u need to find out exactly what box, though the cables for supras might all be the same? not sure, give dellow a call and ask them, it wont be anymore than $80 + freight.

A1

#6 _blown350_

_blown350_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

yea see i dont know what box it is... but its bloody big and instead of the x-member looping up in comes straight across and the 3inch exhaust sits under it making the exhaust really low even though the cars not that low... so i want to run the exhaust along each side. has anyone got any pictures of a similar setup?

#7 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

Is this in an LX or LJ? Sounds like a dodgy home made job or something with the X-member - I have an R154 in my LX and it tucks right up in the tranny tunnel where it should be. I did have to make my own g/box cross member.

I have heard heaps of people refer to standard supra alloy case boxes as 'heavy duty' so it may still be a W series supra box. Physical size is the best way to tell them apart - especially from the bottom and still in the car.

Speedo cable is easy from dellow or CRS and will hook straight up but I doubt your speedo will read accurately - this will need an instrument place to recalibrate your speedo (approx $60 to $80). You can get a small gear reducer which goes in line with your speedo cable but I would just get the gauge done personally.

M@

#8 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

I'd suggest going the other way, ie buying the little gear reducer corrector box, which fits in between the gearbox and the speedo cable. Its around $100 from memory from CRS or Dellow. You just need to quote exactly how much % reduction you want, or state "the car is travelling at 82kph, and the speedo reads exactly 100 kph", and they'll work it out for you.

The reason I say that is that I'm pretty sure that you can then use a standard Holden speedo cable (cheaper and easier to replace if needed), and you can also order other gear sets for the corrector box if you ever change your rear tyre diameter or diff ratio setup. Easier than ripping out your speedo every time you want to change things.

#9 _blown350_

_blown350_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:12 PM

oh k cool thanks for the advice.... yea my cousin came with me to check the car out and he thought it was abit strange how the x-member was so low but he was also suprised of the size of the box??? il try get some pics....

#10 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:19 AM

Hey,
X member,
had a couple,
some people think you need to build a truck cross member to get past RWC,
not so,
might be over kill,
speedo cable, order from Mal Woods or Dellow,
as for converted or ratio kits,
forget them,
get the supra to holden speedo cable,
look at the wheels and tyres you are running,
and on the source type car,
Supra,
can get several drivers for the gearbox,
for cheap like $5 a driver, at a wrecker,
work out he overall diametre of the wheels,
and the problem is solved and cheap.
Cheers
Chris

#11 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:58 AM

I'm not sure what different drives the supra boxes have for the speedo as I have never been able to get any sensible info and havn't personally checked. I would say a bit of trial and error will be involved - it will not be just as simple as picking a gear from a car with same tire OD and diff ratio as the calibration of the supra speedo (actual gauge)vs the Torana one are sure to be different.

You may find a sppedo gear that's pretty close but I know with the R154, you will not be able to remove the speed drive from the gearbox still in the car unless you cut an access hole through the side of the Tranny tunnel.

Please share your findings on speedo drives available as I am asked the question reasondably frequently.

M@

#12 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:59 PM

Hi,
Had a look at the speedo drivers in the gearboxes in the workshop,
both that I have atm are 32 tooth,
is stamped on the centre where it mounts up.
Have not fitted the box yet,
but will tell you how it goes when its running.
Will see how accurate or inaccurate it is, then go from there.
Cheers
Chris.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users