Shortening BorgWarner Axles

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

Hey guys,
I have a Borg Warner diff in my LC torana. It came out of an R31 Skyline and is still completely standard length with standard axles (28-spline). Until now I've corrected the additional diff length simply by having wheels with front wheel drive offset. OK, so now I want to change over to deep dish wheels (Weld Prostars) and will need to shorten my diff by about 3 inches.

Shortening the diff housing appears to be a straight forward job. However, what's the go with the axles?
Can you shorten and respline standard axles?
I don't suppose there are any off-the-shelf axles available or some from another car that would be shorter than the ones I have now, and fit perfectly?
I guess the final option for me is to get some Billet axles made... how would they cost?

Thanks in advance.

#2 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:40 AM

About 660 a pair.

#3 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:48 AM

In order to shorten a standard axle I believe you need to cut off all the existing machining which would be more than 3 inches. Maybe Commodore axles would be long enough to shorten to your desired length?

#4 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:07 AM

i doubt you'd shorten the stock axles 3". the stock axles taper just after the spline,and you cant re-cut a spline into a taper.you'll probably have to get new axles made.

#5 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:22 AM

The short axle from a VL commodore is used on both sides.
Warren

#6 _lx-304_

_lx-304_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:07 AM

definately dont shorten them,the axle is designed to twist a little and you will have to respline in this area and may result in a sheer off.the 2 vl axles sound like the way to go if you dont want to get new ones.if you are going to do the housing yourself,there is a bit of measuring to do and you need to get the yoke in the same place as it would be on the normal set up.the basis of it is,all measurements should be taken from the centre of the yoke being the centre of the tail shaft as well,not the centre of the housing.if put a line theer and then measure out either side,this will give you the right position for the brackets and overall lenght.to get the brackets in the right position.before you cut them of the lc one,put a line in the centre of the housing the entire lenght of it.this is done by using the flange on the end of thediff.half way between the top holes will be centre.once you have marked the line across the lentgh of the diff,then mark on each bracket where it interesects the line.then strip the brackets off the bg diff and mark a line acroos the centr of that housing.then measure from the centre of the yoke to the positon of each bracket,mark that on the bg diff,then you can cut them off and just put it where your mark on lc bracket meets the centre line off the bg housing at the right measurements.i would strongly suggest you that you spend more time marking and planning it before you start cutting as you only get one chance at it.also you need to make sure the end flange is on at sqare as well.

dave

#7 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:45 PM

Hmmm..now you have me thinking...all my spare axles are in the new shed so cant measure them...maybe..just maybe....you could use another short axle on the other side and shorten the diff housing that way,,,moving the centre back into almost the...centre..if you get what I mean...?? I would have to measure the axles..you will have to move the brackets anyway...just a thought.
R

Edited by rorym, 13 December 2008 - 02:46 PM.

#8 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

Rory's idea might work if the diff doesn't end up too far off centre, I don't think short VL axles will be any good as they are still longer than the Skyline ones (which are too long)

#9 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:35 AM

I thought we found a diff that does not need shortening?

#10 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

OK some interesting ideas there guys!! We might be on to something here...

Anyone know the lengths of each axle: R31 left and right, the short VL axle, & any others?

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:06 AM

I thought we found a diff that does not need shortening?

Yeah R31 for LH-UC but that's obviously too wide for an LC (this one at any rate).

LHoon I have some VP axles in the shed - the short one is 705mm and could be cut to 590mm or shorter, the long one is 800mm and could be cut to 690mm or shorter (this is where the machining is). Both measurements taken from inside of wheel flange to very end of axle.

#12 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

OK some interesting ideas there guys!! We might be on to something here...

Anyone know the lengths of each axle: R31 left and right, the short VL axle, & any others?

Shit I was just up at the new shed...will measure them this arvo..
R

#13 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

I am not advocating shortening axles, but have a look at HQ-WB tonner axles. These can't be shortened to LH-UC length, but could be done to LC/LJ length. This is of course when using a 10-bolt centre hence equal length axles. Might be worth a look for the BW centre, especially for the shorter axle?

#14 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:02 AM

Sorry guys been busy doing new house chores..
R31 Skylines are 675mm and 725mm.
R

#15 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:07 AM

Rory, that guy that did your diff has brand new axels for $448 pr on ebay.

#16 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com....em=220333552988

#17 _turbolj_

_turbolj_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

so can moser make any axle to any length for any type of diff set up?reason is im converting a hilux diff which iv got shortened 110mm each side.just woundering what to do with my axles?sorry for thread steel.
Posted Image
mini tubed 8.5 convos 265 tyres
Posted Image
full spool 30 spline axles

#18 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

I think there are a few mobs that can get custom lengths, probably just do the ring around for the best price.

#19 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

How bout a gemini diff?
Sorry haven't measured one but their not as wide as a skyline.

#20 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

you can get the standard b/w axles shortend I had a set done they lasted me 7 years before the splines started to twist
after that I brought a set of mosers. Price wise $120 to $200 per axle to be shortend and resplined.

What lenght axles are you chasing

#21 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

PM me on what you need and pricing. Axles can be resplined. Twisting is not an issue, as they normally twist/shear near the splines anyway, the old ones which are cut off when you respline. Little bro can do the whole job, or just the axles.

#22 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for the offers guys. I'm not actually up to that stage just yet, but was just wondering what the go is.
Will probably looking to shorten my diff later in the year.

#23 _NSS308_

_NSS308_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:57 AM

If done the right way a shortened axle can be fine. One problem that can happen is if the axle is too much bigger in diameter than the spline you want to cut, you end up cutting too deep into the case hardening of the axle and into the soft core. The other major problem that occurs is not seen much these days but what guys used to do was cut the flange end of the axle off and machine and reweld the flange further along the axle. This means that you could shorten an axle only using a lathe and not need to cut a new spline.But this was very dangerous as a failure would often result in the car loosing a wheel and the brake assembly. at least with a resplined axle failure you just break the spline off..I have great experience with the broken axle scenario, never with flange breakage but many twisted splines. I have used many resplined axles in cars that run into the 11's in the 1/4, many of which are still going today. One of my mates has big block uc and runs 10.3 1/4 using resplined 28's yikes !!!. Having said that i have also seen a pile of factory spline axles fail too
By the time you buy some billet axles have them trimmed and bearing spaceing set up with correct wheel studs and centre hub then squeeze on some new bearings they will probably owe you a grand, but you can usually get away with resplined axles for 500bucks. depends on budget i spose

#24 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

so after all that; whats the cost of getting a borg warner from a commodore totally done to fit an LC/LJ?

#25 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

"so after all that" sounds a bit rude, wasnt meant to come across that way.
M.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users