Transmission Cooler

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:33 AM

ss hatchback,im getting my pwr radiator this week :).im geting 2 types of coolers on it,for the trans.the standard radiator tank cooler,plus a air cooler mounted on the front between the grill and radiator.i was told u cant have to much trans cooling,and to get both.will see how it goes
ss hatchback,what size stall are u running ?.and how far off the stall do drive on the freeway ?

#27 77_LX_HATCH

77_LX_HATCH

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:37 AM

Hey herne and SS hatchback, where do the hoses run to get back to the trans?

Currently doing this on mine, mounted smack bang in the front of the radiator (will see if i lose cooling).

Just wondering before i start drilling holes!!

Cheers

Mike

#28 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

My hoses run down the radiator support panel and come out through the spoiler, hard to show how they are run now and then they just hook up as per normal. Hardly ideal for a any vehicle attending shows for judging etc But this is only temporary.
See pic.

Posted Image

If we can do it we hope to hide the the hoses entirely before Summernats but thats a big if right now, we are running out of time real fast. Also the radiator needs to have the cut ends of trans lines removed and plugged.

Am still hoping to get the engine out and do some work to hide the brake lines, trans lines and fix the leaking rear main and respray the engine bay!!!!! but work cant start until this Friday at the earliest and I have scrutineering on the 30th, sounds like we have plenty of time but we have Xmas right smack bang in the middle. Things might not get done....

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 16 December 2008 - 11:00 AM.

#29 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:25 AM

If you have a cooler built into the radiator then you would normally just undo the return line on the radiator, fit a barb to the radiator and plumb the cooler in series.

You should not need to cut the transmission lines, you should be able to slide the tube nut back and slip the cooler line over the flare.

#30 77_LX_HATCH

77_LX_HATCH

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:28 AM

Cheers for that pic Herne, was the same as what i was thinking of doing!

#31 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:11 PM

:spoton: Cheers mate, glad I could help. Like I said not finished in there by a long shot yet :) Whether its next week or next year it will be hidden, thats why we didnt run the radiator trans cooler in tandem :)

That pic reminded me to at least unbolt and remove the old lines where we cut them :)

Working on the new boot design today, thats not yet finished either lol

Cheers
Herne

#32 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:17 PM

If you have a oil trans cooler you can run the lines down the drivers side out of sight

#33 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

see ^^^^^ he knows lol

Cheers
Herne

#34 77_LX_HATCH

77_LX_HATCH

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

Haha i know what its like Herne, took the hatchy off the road just to change the heads, now its getting a full engine bay makeover! Its currently in pieces in the shed...started 5 things at once, havent finished either lol.

Cheers

Mike

#35 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

ss hatchback,im getting my pwr radiator this week :).im geting 2 types of coolers on it,for the trans.the standard radiator tank cooler,plus a air cooler mounted on the front between the grill and radiator.i was told u cant have to much trans cooling,and to get both.will see how it goes
ss hatchback,what size stall are u running ?.and how far off the stall do drive on the freeway ?

Im running a 3200 stall and on the freeway its about 2800 at 100kph, but its fairly tight convertor and doesnt seem to be slipping there if i go up any steepish hills i drop a gear if i feel im to far under the mark

#36 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

Hey herne and SS hatchback, where do the hoses run to get back to the trans?

Currently doing this on mine, mounted smack bang in the front of the radiator (will see if i lose cooling).

Just wondering before i start drilling holes!!

Cheers

Mike

Mine run up under the drivers gaurd, it was a bit of a rush job when i did it but ill get around to doing a neater job, but they work and arent causing any issues so im not in a hurry.

#37 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:47 PM

i run a massive trans cooler in front of my radiator, its nearly the same width as the radiator, doesnt seem to be a problem even with the 4000rpm stall, heres a pic you can just see it, its the black section
Posted Image

#38 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:09 PM

Dimension? Just wondering if it covers half your radiator like mine practically does.

Yeah covers pretty much half my radiator (passenger side), it extents down to basically level with the bottom of the bumper.
Engine has never reached 200 deg F.
Cheers, H
Posted Image

#39 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:29 PM

thanks for the feedback guys, I took a look around today to see where to mount it and have removed from the original spot and mounted it on the passenger side closer to the headlight, basically now instead of covering 10 inches of the radiator it will only be coverign around 5 inches, see if that makes a difference . Just need some new transmission hose now and hopefully finish it tomorrow. I will update you all when i have tested it :spoton:

#40 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:28 AM

I am planning on running my trans pipes inside the chassis rails, havent worked out exactly how yet but that is where i want them, out of sight.

Anyone have thoughts on having a trans cooler taking up one side of the radiator and an engine oil cooler taking covering the other half, maybe with their own fans if necessary. the radiator will be a big aluminium one

#41 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

I would try and keep the number of coolers infront of the radiator to a minimum. See if you can find somewhere to fit the B&M fan mounted coolers.

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=22327

#42 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:56 PM

I am not really sure that forcing air toward a flat panel would give very good air flow through the trans cooler though

#43 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:02 AM

The rubber spacers that have been used to mount the cooler give about an inch of clearance between the cooler and the boot floor.

#44 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:33 PM

Well tested the car today and all went well , the car now sits on the highway anywhere between 177 and 182 , fans come on and off as they should so it definately has made a big difference, although my alternator decided to play up today on my way to see Harve (HRV74) , no great drama , removed it when i got home and found the wire from the regulator had come away, resoldered and all is ok now :spoton:

#45 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:56 PM

After reading this I think its maybe why my S.L.R is running hot too!? I have a Trans Cooler infront of my radiator and its pretty big(covers the left side of the radiator) might be wise for me to opt for a smaller one!,we flushed out the radiator thoroughly after using Radiator Cleaner but shes running hot still! I too have the AU Fans but the car struggles to keep at 90 c,the fans kick in at 100c.She use to sit on 80 c unless in heavy traffic but I cant recall if this was before I fitted the Trans Cooler as the Torrys not driven much and tranny cooler was fitted a while back,running 3 Row Desert Cooler Radiator but its a few years old now......................

#46 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:02 AM

HMMM might look at mounting my coolers on the new panel i had to make for the tubs. I thought the air flow would be pretty poor with only a 1" space behind the cooler.
are the fans set up to draw through rather than push?

Edited by the gts, 23 December 2008 - 12:05 AM.

#47 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:20 AM

I do not know however I would expect the fans to be pushers.

#48 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

I have a Trans Cooler infront of my radiator and its pretty big(covers the left side of the radiator) might be wise for me to opt for a smaller one!

Maybe it's the type of oil cooler that's the issue, rather than the size. The oil cooler on Rob's (SS Hatchback's) car seemed to be quite thick/solid compared to mine - there might not have been much air flowing right through it, which caused the radiator to suffer. In this case, repositioning the cooler was beneficial.
With the right cooler, you can cover half the radiator with no probs, cause plenty of air flows through.
Is this your take on it Rob?

Cheers
H

#49 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

Yeah Harve i suppose every car is different , mine had an issue but someone else may get away with it . Definately i would say if a certain cooler restricts the airflow to your radiator it will create and issue but i think my cooler wasnt real restrictive but just the extra heat from the flow was causing it to sit higher than i had liked. Basically cruising on the highway my temps were up around 187 to 198 even reaching 200, although not a real issue it was making my thermo fans be on constantly (no more adjustment on my fan temp switch) . Now it is around the 182 while cruising.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users