Best way to cut a hole in a painted bonnet?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

hi all
can anyone tell me abount any experiences with cutting a hole in a painted bonnet. What worked, what didnt work, and the best tool for the job ( nibler , jigsaw , etc )
cheers julian

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:13 PM

I can only assume that masking tape would be a must...my self I would use a 4 inch grinder or a jigsaw..but you would have to be careful of the ribs with a jigsaw I think....it looks like the one on my uc was done with a grinder.

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:19 PM

If you're gonna use a grinder I'd suggest something over the whole bonnet so that you don't get red hot sparks on your paintwork.

If you use something like a Jigsaw then I agree that masking tape etc would be necessary.

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

5" grinder with stainless steel cutting disk would work i recon. disks for cutting stainless are very very thin, around 1mm. they cut very quickly and odnt remove much. contributes to less heat = less paint wasted. also just take it very slowly, cut a tiny bit then let the pannel cool. water could be halpfull here.

#5 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:27 PM

Ring up a place that fits sun roofs. Ask for a quote. Then compare with the cost of stuffing the bonnet or paint or buying the tools. Maybe even a bit of bartering to get a good deal.

#6 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:54 PM

You'll definately need heaps of masking tape around the area you want to remove, Personally i'd use a Jigsaw with a metal cutting blade, an Air Operated Hack saw, or an Air Nibbler would work.

All depends what you have access to and how confident you are with it that you won't slip and damage the surrounding area.

A grinder of any sort with even the thinnest of wheels will burn the surrounding paint to some extent, and if your asking i'm guessing your experience with this kind of work may be limited so that technique might be better left to someone with more experience.

You'll need to touch-up the finished cut somehow, all depends on your desired finish, it might be ok to just brush touch some paint around the exposed steel and fit some weatherstrip/lacing etc but if you want a nice finish around the edge then you'll have to paint the bonnet anyway so cut it out with what your comfortable with.

#7 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

Ditto what Pete said. I would steer well clear of a grinder. I did mine after it was painted with a jigsaw. Worked like a dream, smooth and easy, no big heat build-up, and a great finish.

Just work out where you're going to cut and put down a good couple of layers of masking tape. Then mark out a nice circular line with pencil or pen. You'll have to drill a suitably sized hole inside the cut-out area as a starting point, then just get the jigsaw in there (with an appropriate sized blade), and take it nice and slow. Just work it around and you'll be laughing. I finished mine just by touching up the edge with some paint on a brush, I still haven't got around to finding some suitable edging though! One day I'll finish the job off right.....

Good luck with it...

PS. Funny story when I cut mine out - I was pulling an all-nighter working on the torrie in the driveway. Time slipped away and by the time I cut the bonnet it was well after 1am. The noise that jigsaw made cutting the metal was shocking at that time of morning!!!!! hahahahahaah. My parents weren't impressed to say the least, and to this day I'm still amazed none of the neighbours called the cops on me! :rockon:

#8 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:13 PM

PS. Funny story when I cut mine out - I was pulling an all-nighter working on the torrie in the driveway. Time slipped away and by the time I cut the bonnet it was well after 1am. The noise that jigsaw made cutting the metal was shocking at that time of morning!!!!! hahahahahaah. My parents weren't impressed to say the least, and to this day I'm still amazed none of the neighbours called the cops on me! 

Reminds me of an incident that a workmate had doing some overtime at work, He was grinding and hammering away at all hours of the night (its a Panelshop) and he gets a real loud bang on the closed shed door which then flies open, my workmate is a hefty fella who can handle himself (ex-bouncer) so he didnt bother to lock it, and he finds himself with two cops with guns drawn and screaming at him, As we do a lot of repair work for the cops they took the locals call of a possible break-in seriously and decided to check it out, needless to say he was a little rattled :rockon:

#9 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:12 AM

A mate of mine used to fit sunroofs, it was always done with a jigsaw, masking tape and slow and patiently.

#10 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:26 PM

use masking tape on the outer edge of the hole so when push the jig saw you dont mark the paint work drill a hole on the inner side of the hole you want to cut up so the jig saw blade fits in hole. also put masking tape on the under side if a bonnet for example.

#11 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

You are only going to see the edge of the hole when the bonnet is up if you a fitting a bonnet scoop.

Plasma cutting is fast but leaves a rough and burnt edge. Minimal distortion though.

James

#12 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:19 PM

Ive done quite a few.
usually use two layers of masking tape, and a very fine blade on a good quality jigsaw, and TAKE YOUR TIME.
If you try and rush it the jigsaw will start jumping and buckle the whole bonnet.
If you have acces to a plasma cutter than thats the safest method.
I watched Steve (MYLJ) cut his bonnet one day in canberra at Summernats with an angle grinder trying to fit a larger airfilter assy, no protection over the car at all, sparks flying everywhere, his comment? "Its just paint, it'll fix up ok" :fool:

#13 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:33 PM

I watched Steve (MYLJ) cut his bonnet one day in canberra at Summernats with an angle grinder trying to fit a larger airfilter assy, no protection over the car at all, sparks flying everywhere, his comment? "Its just paint, it'll fix up ok"  :fool:

paint is highly over rated :tease: :tease: :tease: horsepower is much more important, :spoton: managed to fit the aircleaner and didn't hurt the paint anyway (much :rolleyes: ) good thing I can paint! :D

#14 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:01 AM

Torana, howdy.

Definately stay away from grinders and anything hot.

A nibbler is the go.

You can get electric and air versions, even a version to go on to your drill.

You might try KENNARDS or other hire places to see if they have one for hire.

Or you can buy a drill attached one from Australian Nibbler.
Looks like a good tool. You also get two clamps and extra nibblers
for a total of $256.00 delivered.

http://www.professionalnibbler.com.au/

I saw this on FOXTEL one night and it neatly cut through metal up to 16 guage.

This item would be the go as it does not wreck your paint and only cuts
about 3mm of material out.

Maybe a joint purchase? Good for cutting out rust too.

Cheers, Leakey

#15 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:16 AM

Whichever method you choose (Don't choose a grinder :rolleyes: ) make sure you give yourself lots of practice on an old panel first, practice make perfect :spoton:

#16 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:26 AM

hi leakey, not sure how a nibler would go once you get to a section of brace underneath as it wouldnt fit in the nibblers mouth ( is that what you would call it?) , I have a plasma cutter at work, but not sure if the boss would appreciate a car bonnet in the plant, so I think i will have a go using the electric jigsaw with a fine metal blade, and a wet rag, and just take it slow. I will post any images once i am finished.
cheers julian

#17 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:49 PM

A good edging to use is pinchmold from the doors, the stuff holding up the roofline edge...

John

#18 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:00 PM

i spent a few hours on a nibbler the other day. i wouldent reccomend them. it was shitting me trying to cut out rough bits.

#19 _chief_

_chief_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:34 PM

I cut a custom hole in my mates freshly painted VL bonnet for a tunnel ram. I masked up outside the lines and used tin snips (lefts & rights) to cut the flat steel and a proper nibbler (not one that goes on the end of a drill) to cut the bottom of the braces. Using a nibbler is difficult, but I use one at work regulary. (doing roofs, etc, I'm a builder) They can get away from you very easily. The result was perfect and it wasn't just a square hole. (I kept it as tight as possible but had to take extra notches out for fuel bowls and lines, etc)
He then just touched the cut edge up with some paint and a tiny paint brush.
The hard part was measuring everything and making sure it cleared as the bonnet opened and closed.
I also did my mates XY bonnet (Real Steel) to suit his round filter. I didn't have to cut through any braces so it was easy to do with tin snips. He didn't have any touch up paint so he went to a panel shop and got a small plastic-chrome pinch mould and we put it round the cut edge. It looked perfect and I fitted the join in the centre on the back side closest to the windscreen.
Tin snips in the hands of someone who knows how to use them is the easyist as it is near impossible to make a mistake, electric tools can easily bite in and take too much off if someone hasn't had much practice with them.

#20 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:51 PM

I have had it explained that using a 1mm cutting disc on an angle grinder is the way to go. Masking up your section for the hole, and covering all exposed paintwork.
Use a light touch and it is like using a stanley knife.

My mate has done many this way, and they look very good.

Grant..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users