lh/lx springs and shocks

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 _rookie_

_rookie_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:39 PM

Hey,
So I have cut my back gaurds up und still my tyres rub going over bigger bumps in the road or turning and getting a small amount of body roll, sooo Im going to order some back springs and shocks but dont wana be doing it twice. can you guys with flares and wide tyres spill ya tricks for me? what setup does the trick for you and maybe a pic of how your car sits.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Cheers
Nick.

#2 _cookinwithal_

_cookinwithal_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:12 AM

Yes , I would also like to know what springs are the best for wide wheel setup with flares.
Im running 265x 50 x 15 on 10 inch rims with a 5.5 backspacing.

I'll be cutting my guards over the crissy holidays so some info on this subject would be really helpfull.
cheers
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:07 AM

make sure you put new trailing arm bushes in as well otherwise the old ones can flex a lot and you will still rub even on the inner guard shockies I would go Koni adjustables and you need to work out how many people you want to carry to sort out rear springs

#4 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

go with IRS commodore springs

#5 _rookie_

_rookie_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:24 PM

go with IRS commodore springs

is that what you run? think as good as yours looks that low mine will rub like crazy with my wheels siting out in the flares.

I'll be cutting my guards over the crissy holidays so some info on this subject would be really helpfull.
cheers

Ruts has a sticky in the paint section that will help you out there.

make sure you put new trailing arm bushes in as well otherwise the old ones can flex a lot and you will still rub even on the inner guard shockies I would go Koni adjustables and you need to work out how many people you want to carry to sort out rear springs
cookinwithal Posted Today

Cheers for the advice, I'm taking the lower arms off to box them so will be sure to get new bushes.

#6 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:53 PM

i run standard height king springs in the rear and 1200 pound king lowered in the front .

Thats with cut guards and 295's 50 15 on 10 inch rims on the rear.

I would go lowered in the back but the 50 profile scrubs the flares.

You could run lowered if you spend the extra $$ on some 45 profile. or be realistic and just go with a 265. lol

Shocks wise i run koni adjustable on all 4 corners which are good. I have herd good reports about the bilsteins too.

Evan.

#7 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:41 PM

I run Camira springs which are lower and softer than IRS Commo springs, MRLXSS runs IRS springs in the back of his Flared Hatch with 15x10's on the back

#8 _rookie_

_rookie_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

Hey,
So I have my back springs and shocks out and am going in to order the new springs and shocks for front and back tomorow. I was told that king springs did an A9X spec spring but the only listing anyone can find is the low slr5000 king spring are they the go? anyone using them? also ordering koni reds at same time :D .

#9 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

Be careful, the A9X spring will have a higher ride height due to the dropped stub axle, if you have HQ stubs you want them otherwise you don't

#10 _rookie_

_rookie_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:33 AM

Be careful, the A9X spring will have a higher ride height due to the dropped stub axle, if you have HQ stubs you want them otherwise you don't

Ok thanks for that, I do have hq stubs, so does this meens the slr5000 spring will be too low?

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:39 AM

Yes the HQ stub will sit the front end about an inch to 30mm (I think, somewhere around there) lower. Depends on how low you want to go I guess, getting a standard height spring instead of low or low instead of super low will probably sort this easy enough.

#12 _rookie_

_rookie_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

Hi, got the price today...$400 for the king springs all good but $800 for the konis. then I seen these monroe gas shocks on ebay for $250 for four corners :blink: thats nice n cheap im liking that price but will they be ok? I cant see why not for that price lol what do ya think, goda be better than the standard ones?

auction number..200295541220 sory dont know how to put a link on here hahaha.

Edited by rookie, 13 January 2009 - 05:58 PM.

#13 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:50 PM

Hi,
I am also doing this spring and shock change

I have found that you can get king springs for $235 front & rear from onlineperformance on ebay
and KYB shocks for $129.00 front and $129 for rear from ringwood auto parts or ultracheapauto both on ebay

I think the KYB are slightly better than the Monroe's at $235 fron and rear

If you want Koni's try Proven susupension they are the distributors at $189.00 rear

Or wholesale suspension for a price
cheers

#14 _rookie_

_rookie_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:13 AM

Ok thats a big help thanks. now I have to see if they will send to NZ.

#15 _rookie_

_rookie_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:35 AM

the listing for the kybs dosnt state they are for toranas are they all the same? these modles listed have a longer spring so not sure they would suit toranas?

"This Auction is for a set of KYB Twin Tube Gas Shocks to suit The Rear of all Holdens FB FC FE EK EJ EH HD HR HK HT HG HQ HJ HX HZ and WB Sedan Monaro and Wagons"

#16 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:54 AM

Make sure you get a length for the rear shocks before buying, they need to be specific to your springs to hold them captive. I know that Monroe lists the same part number for different lengths so you can't always go by that either. I'm using springs in excess of 100mm shorter than stock in the rear of mine to keep the springs captive. The measurement is normally taken from the centre of the bottom eye to the base of the top spindle.

#17 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:58 AM

Actually come to think of it I have a pair of Monroe GT Gas suitable for the rear 520mm in length which will keep quite a low spring captive. Bought them last year for $200 from Repco but never used because I found something I liked better. Yours for a reasonable offer

#18 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:06 AM

I run IRS commodore springs in mine, with 15x10's and the guards cut and i dont have scrubbing issue anymore! (Not i have scrub issues on the front flares with the 225's, but thats just a spring stiffness issue)

I need to find some shorter length Shocks to hold my springs in better, but so far so good!

#19 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

You went to lower springs and that stopped the scrubbing? Are they stiffening it so that the diff doesn't move around as much...?

#20 _slr6000_

_slr6000_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

Another good thing to do is extend the bump stops so they bottom out before your wheels hit.
Not sure but I think the A9X diff had extended bump stops???

#21 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:38 AM

I tried extending my bump stops and it did nothing, I reckon they were missing altogether on certain angles. The shocks I have in the rear now have removable shrouds so at some stage I'm going to try putting a soft bump stop over the bright shaft on the shock, that can't miss!

#22 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:57 AM

You went to lower springs and that stopped the scrubbing? Are they stiffening it so that the diff doesn't move around as much...?

haha, Yeah. The IRS springs are a progressive rate spring... So they are soft and cushy on small bumps, but on a big bump they are nice and stiff. So they work really well at stopping the scrubs!

I haven't tried cruising with mates in the back yet, but i reckon it would be pretty safe now.

I know LXCHEV also runs IRS springs in his beast, and with cut guards etc he always has a loaded up car, and as far as i know doesnt scrub.

#23 _slr6000_

_slr6000_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

I tried extending my bump stops and it did nothing, I reckon they were missing altogether on certain angles. The shocks I have in the rear now have removable shrouds so at some stage I'm going to try putting a soft bump stop over the bright shaft on the shock, that can't miss!

The way I did mine was to jack up the car and support under the chassis then remove springs jack the diff back up until the wheels hit then drop back down 20mm. Then I could see what I had to add to the bump stops.
I think if you use the shocks as bump stops you could punch the upper mounts out.

#24 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

Yeah that's the way I did it too but no joy. The only time it rubs is when the diff tilts on a big sideways angle (e.g. angle entry into driveways) or through a big bump when cornering hard at high speed (won't do it in a straight line) which is what makes me think its missing the stops. I know what you're saying about the top shock mounts which is why I thought a soft bump stop, maybe closed cell foam or something? The tyre only barely touches at full compression so it just needs to damp the suspension a little so it doesn't travel so far. Stiffer springs would probably do the trick but they're already bone-jarring and I can't remove any more metal from the guards. If the roads around here were better it probably wouldn't be necessary!

Anyway its all ongoing development and its come a long way, I'm sure I'll get that last little niggling bit fixed. Sorry for the thread steal rookie, hopefully somewhat on topic

#25 _rookie_

_rookie_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

The way I did mine was to jack up the car and support under the chassis then remove springs jack the diff back up until the wheels hit then drop back down 20mm. Then I could see what I had to add to the bump stops.
I think if you use the shocks as bump stops you could punch the upper mounts out.

Yeah I did look at that but when jacked up the stops hit before the gaurds but I still get scrubing, but I also think 76lxhatch is on the money with the diff angle cos if I go over a bump with one wheel it will rub but can drive over a larger bump with two and it sweet. also was told by one guy who sells king springs today that the low kings want lower the back and will drop the front 30mm, that can't be right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users